• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Bojangles says no firearms - CALLING ALL TROOPS

Smith45acp

If this was a singular business entity I would post right on the OC Experiences thread.

But I would hate for us to lose Bojangles.

I ate breakfast at the Bojangles off of Aviation Blvd. in Morrisville this morning on my way to Charlotte. OC'ing as usual, no problems whatsoever.

Well I get back to Raleigh pretty late and just had a craving for a second round, so I rode my motorcycle up to the New Bern Ave / State St. location to cure what ailed me. There were a few cars in the drive through, and maybe two patrons eating inside. I pull into the lot and see a guy in a Bojangle's polo with security written on it standing next to where the cars pull in for the drive through. He watches me pull up, park, take off my helmet, put on my hat, dismount, and head towards the entrance. The whole time my sidearm is in plain view and he doesn't say anything. IT WAS A TRAP! lol He even goes so far as to hold the door open for me on my way in. I almost make it to the order line when I hear "Sir?" and see him beckoning me back toward the door he was still holding. Well I stood there because I only follow hand signals when a traffic cop is delivering them. He then says "If you are not a LEO you cannot bring your firearm into this restaurant". So I walk back to the inner door area where he is waiting and I said, "Wow, that is news to me, is that a new Bojangles policy I haven't heard of?" He says "We've never allowed firearms inside our restaurants and it is clearly posted right here......" At that point he begins searching for the non existent signage on all the glass around the entrance. He says, "Well it's posted somewhere around here". Moving on, I ask him how he feels about such a draconian policy if it does in fact exist. He says, paraphrasing, "As a former LEO I wouldn't have it any other way". I asked him if he thought a sign like that could prevent a robbery or armed assault in any possible scenario. He says the sign is in place to keep firearms out. I said, "But to what end? I'm certainly not a criminal and you're pushing a loyal customer away. This is my second trip to one of your locations this very day, and I've never had an issue" He kind of repeats the same line and I give up and leave after getting his name, which he gave as Norris. (Chuck would be ashamed)

So I take my unhappy ass RIGHT across the street and eat me some Char Grill, another location at which I've never had an issue with employees or anyone else, but where I'm forced to eat on the curb since I can't carry food on my bike.

I plan on waiting until normal business hours tomorrow and calling HQ. Mr. Norris did state that this was a long standing regional decision by blank and blank eateries corp which apparently owns many of the local franchises.

I will also draft a letter to be sent to appropriate parties to find out:
A: What is Bojangles policy regarding firearms?
B: What is this guy thinking running a loyal customer off if corporate is in fact firearms friendly?
C: If this type of policy is left to individual franchise owners how can I get in touch with this particular group?

Besides the calls I made to Harris Teeter a few months back, and some friendly conversations with two local managers, I don't have a lot of experience snuffing out anti constitutional policies (possibly) set forth by large corporations, so I'm posting this here looking for help and advice.

Losing a favorite local fuel pump or the like is bad enough, but I'd hate to no longer give business to Bojangles.

If there are any other Bojangles and OC fans out there I may need some back up on this and I will keep you posted on any responses I get.

Thanks guys,

Adam

mekender

AFIK, Bojangles leaves it up to the individual store as to their policies. The one here in Greensboro on 68 is posted.

chiefjason

Checking the watch, yep. It's about time for a Bojangles does not allow guns thread. Doesn't this happen about every 6 months or so? I wonder if it's a case where each franchise owner can make their own rules? CC's Pizza does that too.

sultan62

Please keep us updated, this is bad news.

I've carried in Bojangles many times, and would hate to have to go somewhere else. If it turns into a corporate thing, I'll start sending letters as well.

I've got a couple of questions though:

1. A security guard at Bojangles? Are you absolutely sure he worked there?
2. Did you ask to speak to a manager? If so, what was his/her response?

Smith45acp

Checking the watch, yep. It's about time for a Bojangles does not allow guns thread. Doesn't this happen about every 6 months or so? I wonder if it's a case where each franchise owner can make their own rules? CC's Pizza does that too.

Whether I'm carrying or not, I make a habit of checking every door I enter for signage, I've never seen a posted Bojangles, and never been asked to leave. So it's new to me...

chiefjason

Whether I'm carrying or not, I make a habit of checking every door I enter for signage, I've never seen a posted Bojangles, and never been asked to leave. So it's new to me...

May have been other forums. I've seen it 3 times or so. Seems to be down east mostly.

spinner

policy

Hey Adam Jay here, Just a thought. Like I did with the Wal-Mart thread, think about writing there corporate head quarter's an e-mail. Your gonna get the same answer (yes or no) . I went this route and because it was a yes, now when I go to W-M I carry there own policy with me. I haven't had a problem, but just in case. Also this way your more likely to get the policy and not the person's opinion on the phone that your talking to. I thought this was better too because you can get more into a letter then on a phone, like telling them that OC is legal in NC and that carrying a fire arm in NC. is not against the law. I find some big corporation's like to follow state statues when it come's down to it, because they don't like confrontation's and what could be considered a discrimination (try to use that word in your letter) issue, and they'll say something to the affect of " we abide by all state and federal law's on all issue's when following the law's of the state that or store's are located in". Then you got them where you want them. Unless they just say no, then say you will not go there any more and you will tell all your friends and family and any one who will listen either in person or on the internet to do the same. Remember these people will sometimes put policy aside to make a buck, they have share holder's to answer to. GOD BLESS

Last edited:

elixin77

If the bojangles are locally owned, not corporate owned, then it would be up to the store owner to dictate what the policy is.

The only criticism i offer you on your situation, would be to point out that if a business isn't posted, then you have every right to be there while carrying, and then i would have talked to the highest ranking individual there, while asking for the store owner's contact information.

If they don't want firearms in their location, then they MUST post. If it's not posted, then its legal

This might be a part where its time to be an activist - if its not posted, your allowed to be there. I personally would probably have ignored the ex-LEO (hes an ex-leo for a reason), gotten my food, and ate, and than left. By definition, management did not ask you to leave, therefore, you are not trespassing. Only management can ask patrons to leave, and its a big black mark against any store that does ask patrons to leave.

Last edited:

Smith45acp

If the bojangles are locally owned, not corporate owned, then it would be up to the store owner to dictate what the policy is.

The only criticism i offer you on your situation, would be to point out that if a business isn't posted, then you have every right to be there while carrying, and then i would have talked to the highest ranking individual there, while asking for the store owner's contact information.

If they don't want firearms in their location, then they MUST post. If it's not posted, then its legal

This might be a part where its time to be an activist - if its not posted, your allowed to be there. I personally would probably have ignored the ex-LEO (hes an ex-leo for a reason), gotten my food, and ate, and than left. By definition, management did not ask you to leave, therefore, you are not trespassing. Only management can ask patrons to leave, and its a big black mark against any store that does ask patrons to leave.

This is where our interpretations differ. Not posted means you can carry, until ANYONE who is an employee requests my absence whereas I am going to comply. I'm not going to delineate employees from management. I have a clean record I don't want muddied with a trespassing charge which I am sure a police officer would have no problem citing me with. The guy had a polo shirt with Bojangles and Security both embroidered on it, so he is surely "in control of" the property in this sense.

In fact I would go so far as to say I'm NEVER welcome back in that location while armed, and without further warning I could be cited with trespassing if I did return with a firearm as I have been notified of the policy.

Last edited:

Ruger

Occupied Greensboro, North Carolina, United States
Not posted means you can carry, until ANYONE who is an employee requests my absence whereas I am going to comply. I'm not going to delineate employees from management. I have a clean record I don't want muddied with a trespassing charge which I am sure a police officer would have no problem citing me with. The guy had a polo shirt with Bojangles and Security both embroidered on it, so he is surely "in control of" the property in this sense.

In fact I would go so far as to say I'm NEVER welcome back in that location while armed, and without further warning I could be cited with trespassing if I did return with a firearm as I have been notified of the policy.

I'm with you on this one. I'm not going to get into an argument with an employee based on the fact that their name badge doesn't say "manager" and/or the fact that there is no sign posted. If we are quick to point out that there is no sign, then all that is going to do is get a sign slapped on the door the next day. Case in point - I was asked to leave Best Buy in Greensboro back in June. They are not posted. I didn't make a fuss about the lack of a sign. Since then, if I must shop there, I do not disarm - I simply CC, and it is legal. If I made a fuss about "no sign" then they probably would have posted a sign, thus making it against the law for anyone to be armed there.

Smith45acp

I'm with you on this one. I'm not going to get into an argument with an employee based on the fact that their name badge doesn't say "manager" and/or the fact that there is no sign posted. If we are quick to point out that there is no sign, then all that is going to do is get a sign slapped on the door the next day. Case in point - I was asked to leave Best Buy in Greensboro back in June. They are not posted. I didn't make a fuss about the lack of a sign. Since then, if I must shop there, I do not disarm - I simply CC, and it is legal. If I made a fuss about "no sign" then they probably would have posted a sign, thus making it against the law for anyone to be armed there.

Ed Zachary!

Smith45acp

I've made a submission on the Bojangles website to get the ball rolling:

"I carry a pistol because I take personal responsibility for my own safety. I visited the 1013 New Bern Ave location last night and was ordered to leave because of a no firearms policy at this particular location. I live nearby and cannot think of any other establishment within walking distance that maintains such a draconian policy aimed at restricting Americans' right to bear arms. I am very careful to follow NC and federal firearms laws and I have a crystal clean record to prove it. Why an establishment would want to scare off a loyal customer (I had breakfast at another location this very same day!) is incomprehensible to me. Bad guys don't pay attention to such policies, and the result is those of us unwilling to break the rules become easy prey to those who are. Look to NY City, Chicago, and D.C. gun crime rates for the efficacy of disallowing law abiding citizens keeping and bearing arms. I would like to get in touch with the franchise owners to relay this sentiment."

... At which point I ran out of characters

I checked the box for please contact me so hopefully I will be able to speak with someone who at least has the authority to make a change if not the willingness.

elixin77

§ 14‑159.13. Second degree trespass.
(a) Offense. – A person commits the offense of second degree trespass if, without authorization, he enters or remains on premises of another:
(1) After he has been notified not to enter or remain there by the owner, by a person in charge of the premises, by a lawful occupant, or by another authorized person; or
(2) That are posted, in a manner reasonably likely to come to the attention of intruders, with notice not to enter the premises.
(b) Classification. – Second degree trespass is a Class 3 misdemeanor. (1987, c. 700, s. 1; 1993, c. 539, s. 102; 1994, Ex. Sess., c. 24, s. 14(c).)

The code states that anyone can ask you to leave, and if you don't, then you are trespassing.

I was unaware of "by a lawful occupant, or by another authorized person," as I was under the impression that only managers can ask patrons to leave.

If someone can clarify, would be much appreciated

sultan62

The Bojangles by my house in High Point on Winchester is 100% OC friendly

the manager told me the rules are "follow law of the land"

He also told me that he kinda likes guns in his store, It keeps the bad guys out.

If this is true, it should be open and shut. Corporate should contact the local manager and everything should be hunkydory.

Smith45acp

If this is true, it should be open and shut. Corporate should contact the local manager and everything should be hunkydory.

I believe franchise owners can tailor their own policies of this nature.

So I'm waiting on some contact info now

Ruger

Occupied Greensboro, North Carolina, United States
Preble, when we're in Raleigh on 9/18 we might want to stop in at Bojangles on New Bern & see if the signage really is there, or if it is a fabrication of the hoplophobe sheeple who work there. If it isn't there, then we should step in for a biscuit :dude: