Thread: Cold Harbor Battlefield

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar

Cold Harbor Battlefield

I was working on a Documentary today and spent 6 hours at Cold Harbor Battlefield.
    I usually check the Parks to see if the signs are in order and looked at the bulletin board.

Sure enough, old sign.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	parks.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	84.8 KB 
ID:	3694

I tracked down the Head Ranger and asked when he planned to comply with the law. He said they were complying but they planned to remove the entire board shortly and replace it with a brand new one....with the proper regulations.

I'll check back with them soon.

Uh huh! Why is my Spidey Sense making the hairs on the back of my neck stand up?

Perhaps a FOIA request for a copy of the contract for the new signs, rather than waiting to find out when they actually put them up? Nothing lilke making them prove they actually took corrective action before your conversation with them.

And I am flat out going to refuse to ask why they did not take any temporary measures to cover up the no-longer applicable portion of the sign. Nope! Just not gonna do that!

stay safe.

Virginia Civil War Battlefields

I am a Civil War "buff" and certainly live in the right State, as 90% of the War was fought within an hour's-drive radius from where I live.

With some exceptions most of the Battlefields have been developed and the primary indication of you being on the location of an actual battle is a Historical Sign. For example, touring the Chancellorsville Battlefield consists of getting a map at the Visitor Center, where it is illegal to carry a gun as it is not outdoors and NPS Property, and taking a self-guided car tour. If you were not into the Civil War, the tour would be like driving over regular roads.

I am sure that Cold Harbor Battlefield is the same way.

Quote Originally Posted by rugerdon View Post
    I am a Civil War "buff" and certainly live in the right State, as 90% of the War was fought within an hour's-drive radius from where I live.

With some exceptions most of the Battlefields have been developed and the primary indication of you being on the location of an actual battle is a Historical Sign. For example, touring the Chancellorsville Battlefield consists of getting a map at the Visitor Center, where it is illegal to carry a gun as it is not outdoors and NPS Property, and taking a self-guided car tour. If you were not into the Civil War, the tour would be like driving over regular roads.

I am sure that Cold Harbor Battlefield is the same way.
    Yeah, Cold Harbor is pretty yuppified, but the one down the road is not too bad.

When my children and I visited the battlefields there on 4 JUL, I saw the same type of sign with the "no guns" in small print near the bottom. I was more deeply disturbed to see a BIG BROWN "Ghostbusters" sign on one of the tour roads. I wish I had marked on my map where I had seen it to bring it to their attention, but I'm sure the park rangers know where it is...
    "If I know that I am headed for a fight, I want something larger with more power, preferably crew-served.
    However, like most of us, as I go through my daily life, I carry something a bit more compact, with a lot less power."
    (unknown 'gun~writer')

Remington 1911 R1 (Back to Basics)
    SERPA retention or concealed...

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
    (Borrowed from "The Perfect Day" by LTC Dave Grossman)

Gaines Mill is the one down the road from Cold Harbor.
    It's kinda nice. No drive around roads and a couple of miles of trails. It butts up to a working farm.
    This is a clip from a video I'm working on. It was filmed at Gaines Mill:

I LOVE It!

Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post
    Gaines Mill is the one down the road from Cold Harbor.
    It's kinda nice. No drive around roads and a couple of miles of trails. It butts up to a working farm.
    This is a clip from a video I'm working on. It was filmed at Gaines Mill:
    Cool! I Love it...keep it up! I like the sun effects at the beginning!

Quote Originally Posted by rugerdon View Post
    Cool! I Love it...keep it up! I like the sun effects at the beginning!
    Thanks Don!
    Hopefully the film will be finished before the GA session.

If you like the effects in that, wait till you see it in HD.