• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Cold Harbor Battlefield

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I was working on a Documentary today and spent 6 hours at Cold Harbor Battlefield.
I usually check the Parks to see if the signs are in order and looked at the bulletin board.

Sure enough, old sign.

parks.jpg

I tracked down the Head Ranger and asked when he planned to comply with the law. He said they were complying but they planned to remove the entire board shortly and replace it with a brand new one....with the proper regulations.

I'll check back with them soon.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Uh huh! Why is my Spidey Sense making the hairs on the back of my neck stand up?

Perhaps a FOIA request for a copy of the contract for the new signs, rather than waiting to find out when they actually put them up? Nothing lilke making them prove they actually took corrective action before your conversation with them.

And I am flat out going to refuse to ask why they did not take any temporary measures to cover up the no-longer applicable portion of the sign. Nope! Just not gonna do that!

stay safe.

Don Barnett

Virginia Civil War Battlefields

I am a Civil War "buff" and certainly live in the right State, as 90% of the War was fought within an hour's-drive radius from where I live.

With some exceptions most of the Battlefields have been developed and the primary indication of you being on the location of an actual battle is a Historical Sign. For example, touring the Chancellorsville Battlefield consists of getting a map at the Visitor Center, where it is illegal to carry a gun as it is not outdoors and NPS Property, and taking a self-guided car tour. If you were not into the Civil War, the tour would be like driving over regular roads.

I am sure that Cold Harbor Battlefield is the same way.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I am a Civil War "buff" and certainly live in the right State, as 90% of the War was fought within an hour's-drive radius from where I live.

With some exceptions most of the Battlefields have been developed and the primary indication of you being on the location of an actual battle is a Historical Sign. For example, touring the Chancellorsville Battlefield consists of getting a map at the Visitor Center, where it is illegal to carry a gun as it is not outdoors and NPS Property, and taking a self-guided car tour. If you were not into the Civil War, the tour would be like driving over regular roads.

I am sure that Cold Harbor Battlefield is the same way.

Yeah, Cold Harbor is pretty yuppified, but the one down the road is not too bad.

MSC 45ACP

When my children and I visited the battlefields there on 4 JUL, I saw the same type of sign with the "no guns" in small print near the bottom. I was more deeply disturbed to see a BIG BROWN "Ghostbusters" sign on one of the tour roads. I wish I had marked on my map where I had seen it to bring it to their attention, but I'm sure the park rangers know where it is...

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Gaines Mill is the one down the road from Cold Harbor.
It's kinda nice. No drive around roads and a couple of miles of trails. It butts up to a working farm.
This is a clip from a video I'm working on. It was filmed at Gaines Mill:
[video=vimeo;14749972]http://vimeo.com/14749972[/video]

Don Barnett

I LOVE It!

Gaines Mill is the one down the road from Cold Harbor.
It's kinda nice. No drive around roads and a couple of miles of trails. It butts up to a working farm.
This is a clip from a video I'm working on. It was filmed at Gaines Mill:
[video=vimeo;14749972]http://vimeo.com/14749972[/video]

Cool! I Love it...keep it up! I like the sun effects at the beginning!

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Cool! I Love it...keep it up! I like the sun effects at the beginning!

Thanks Don!
Hopefully the film will be finished before the GA session.

If you like the effects in that, wait till you see it in HD.