• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

i need a new BUG (back up gun)

which BUG should i choose

• Total voters

Matt85

i recently sold my P3AT and now im in need of a new BUG/CCW. five days out of the week i am not allowed to OC which creates a serious need for a CCW.

ive been looking over a number of small pistols and ive pretty much settled on two: the Ruger LCR and the S&W 638. i cant seem to make my mind up so im calling on you guys to push me one way or another.

official links:
http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/...57768_757767_757751_ProductDisplayErrorView_Y

http://ruger.com/products/lcr/specSheets/5401.html

Last edited:

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
Have to ask. If you sold your P3AT, why are you looking at a Ruger LCP? And if an LCP, why not also a Taurus TCP?

Just curious because these three little BUGs are so much alike. I have a second gen P3AT which I use for a BUG, or primary when my real primary guns are not practical to carry. I would have kept the P3AT but since you didn't and you're looking at a S&W revolver, why not also a Kahr PM9?

NMBill

Lcr

I would highly recommend the LCR -- I have one, have put several hundred rounds of various ammo through it. No experience with the S&W 638 -- would imagine it's a fine revolver, too, but can't really say.

My LCR has the Hogue grips and is comfortable and controllable, even with +P loads, when held with a firm grip. The laser grips would come in handy, but I imagine the gun would be less comfortable to shoot. (Of course, handguns are not meant to be comfortable, but comforting.) There is also a Hogue Bantam/Boot grip available -- not as large as the original Hogue. I haven't found the original, thicker grips to be a problem, when carrying concealed.

Though I really like my LCR and recommend it, I don't think you can really go wrong here. If you can handle both side-by-side, go with the one that feels the best and most natural in your hand.

cscitney87

Just a few hairs larger- take the PF9 if you have the chance. KelTec's .32 and .380 technology in a 9mm caliber. The smallest- lightest- thinnest 9mm you will get your hands on under $500 and perhaps, period. Still under 20oz weight.

jtrider

I don't want to rain on your parade, but if neither choice fit your hand, nor can you hit with them and neither are readily concealable, what is the purpose of the poll or purchase?

I would think smart money would be on fit, function, reliability, conceal-ability and price. Those factors may not fit anything listed in the poll. If there were a "right one" the rest would be out of business. Like finding a spouse, we gotta get out there and play the field to find what works for us. Rather than solicit opinions that aren't applicable, how 'bout finding out what range rents those weapons and report the outcome?

Hope that doesn't sound harsh. :rolleyes:

Matt85

I don't want to rain on your parade, but if neither choice fit your hand, nor can you hit with them and neither are readily concealable, what is the purpose of the poll or purchase?

I would think smart money would be on fit, function, reliability, conceal-ability and price. Those factors may not fit anything listed in the poll. If there were a "right one" the rest would be out of business. Like finding a spouse, we gotta get out there and play the field to find what works for us. Rather than solicit opinions that aren't applicable, how 'bout finding out what range rents those weapons and report the outcome?

Hope that doesn't sound harsh. :rolleyes:

ive fired both the LCR and the 638 and was pleased with both. both revolvers are small enough and light enough to be easily concealed.

the reason for the poll is they both have there advantages and disadvantages (sorta).

Ruger LCR
advantages: lightest weight, super smooth trigger, looks kinda cool
disadvantages: relatively new, polymer/aluminum mix, no SA option

S&W 638
advantages: SA/DA, solid construction, solid reputation
disadvantages: kind of expensive, a little bulkier then other snubbies

Last edited:

Matt85

Have to ask. If you sold your P3AT, why are you looking at a Ruger LCP? And if an LCP, why not also a Taurus TCP?

Just curious because these three little BUGs are so much alike. I have a second gen P3AT which I use for a BUG, or primary when my real primary guns are not practical to carry. I would have kept the P3AT but since you didn't and you're looking at a S&W revolver, why not also a Kahr PM9?

i sold the P3AT because it was very unreliable! ive sent it back 5 times and even had it replaced but the lil thing just wouldnt feed or eject right. onley way the lil thing worked was to keep it constantly dowsed in oil, this ment firing 6 shots then re-oiling and firing 6 more then re-oiling. after 150 rounds in both guns the insides looked like they had been in a car reck.

as far as im concerned the P3AT is a POS!

Gunslinger

Add a Taurus M-85 to your choices. Finest snubbie I've ever shot, and I've shot them all from a Detective Special to a Charter Bulldog, and 2 bills cheaper than the others ($320). Can get airweight model or full SS--which is what I have. Handles +Ps with ease and shoots to point of aim. Smiths are overpriced nowadays and although the Ruger is a nice revolver, I'd take an M-85 over it and pocket the change for 135gr Gold Dot +Ps.

Ruby

I just recently purchased a Smith & Wesson model 60. I looked for about a year for this gun. All I kept coming up with in snubbies was either aluminum or Airweight frames; I knew I wanted steel. So when I found it, I put it on layaway and just got it out recently. I have only fired it once so far, but I really like it, I bought it used, not new, but it is in excellent shape. I also enjoyed shooting it, it's a fun little gun to shoot. Can't say the same about my friend's with the aluminum frame. Steel does make a difference!