• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

3-year-old shot thumb with officer's gun

Sam

Friday, outside the ABC store on Cox Road in Gastonia a child and Mother were left waiting in a car while the driver went into the store. Moments later a 911 call was placed. The toddler managed to shoot off his left thumb with a weapon left in the car.

How terrible and so inconceivable. I have left my Son in the car along with my sidearm while visiting this same store (No Weapons sign displayed). But it was locked up, unloaded and disabled like this person's should have been. What was the Mother doing?

http://www.gastongazette.com/news/abc-50061-old-year.html

REDFIVE48

Pretty bad, indeed what was mom doing, but also, he is a cop, why would he leave his weapon in the car, aren't they exempt from all the rules that we need to follow? Just another reason why we should not be forced to disarm ourselves when entering a business, as the safest place for a weapon to be is on the body or in the hands of a trained gun owner.

Of course none of the anti 2A crowd will see it that way, just another reason to call for getting rid of all the guns.

Sam

Yes I believe he would be exempt. The story indicated it was not his service pistol so perhaps he was in plain clothes and left his badge at home? There are so many questions. I hope they get to the bottom of this.

Last edited:

tomtaurus

3 year old

North Carolina GS 14-315.1

Any person who resides in the same premises as a minor, owns or possesses a firearm, and stores or leaves the firearm in a condition that the firearm can be discharged and in a manner that the person should have known that an unsupervised minor would be able to gain access to the firearm is guilty of a misdemeanor if a minor gains access to the firearm without the lawful permission of the minors parents or a person having charge of the minor, and the minor :
(1) possesses it in violation of GS 14-269.2(b)
(2) exhibits it in a public place in careless , angry or threatening manner
(3) CAUSES PERSONAL INJURY, or death
(4) uses it in commission of a crime.

Seems like the cop is at least guilty of a misdemeanor. The woman should have been paying attention also