• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Chatham CO. OPEN RANGE DAY ALL INVITED

Smith45acp

I have a large tract of land available to me near US1 and Old Hwy US1, close to New Hill, NC (30 min. south of Raleigh)

There are fields for clay busting, plenty of trees to pin pistol targets to, and a rifle lane of descending grade that stretches at least 300 yards.

All forum members are welcome to attend, but I will need an accurate count of those who are interested.

What I'd like to do is put this out there, get everyone's input on a date and time, and try to cater to the majority as best I can.

I'd also like to have someone with "range master" experience as I can do this but my experience is limited to corralling very small groups at one time.

Definitely shooting for a weekend date within the next month.

You'll need:

Guns and ammo
Targets and a way to secure them (I use paper plates and push pins, large cardboard boxes would also be great)
hearing / eye protection
A car capable of traveling down a dirt road with a few bumps (my transam can make it)
A good sense of gun safety practices and willingness to pick up your brass

I met with 6 or so forum members some months ago had we had a "blast"! Let's do it again!

So if you're interested please throw out some dates you think you could attend.

-Adam

Smith45acp

That's the purpose of my post; to gauge interest, and find a good date.

I'm single (although I do know a girl who would get pissed at me for saying that) and rarely have real work to do on weekends so I'm kinda wide open.

If a lot of interest came up I'd drag the grill out there and cook some burgers and dogs too.

I don't know that many of you personally but this would be a great way to meet a bunch of folks and do what we all love to do in the process.

Dreamer

I might be interested, if it fits my schedule. I could even give "exilin77" a ride.

But I think between the two of us and our firearms, we won't have room for any more people in my vehicle. Especially if I bring my clay thrower... ;)

Smith45acp

Ok so now is the time to start throwing out some available dates. Like I said I'm pretty much wide open on the weekends so let me know:

9-4, 9-5?
9-11, 9-12?
9-18, 9-19?

Ruger

Occupied Greensboro, North Carolina, United States
Preble & I are going to be in the area on 9/18. We're carpooling to a firearm retention training class @ 6pm @ Rapid Fitness on Glenwood Ave. in Raleigh. I need to check with him, but perhaps we could make a day of it. Go shooting with you guys earlier in the day, and then split to go to the class later.

So I guess 9/18 is my suggestion.

Last edited:

sultan62

There's a chance I could make 9/18. It's definitely a maybe, but if you settle on that date I'll see what I can do.

elixin77

The 18th works for me. I just got to get someone to cover my work shift, which shouldn't be too hard.

I'll have a new shotgun to try out too :)

Smith45acp

I'm working on building some "steel challenge" type circular knockdown targets, and I may also build some kind of idpa silhouette layout. I wonder if their website has ideas for layouts / courses?

Smith45acp

I just got my welder to cut me some round steel plates. I'm going to fashion us some stands for a little steel challenge setup so we'll have something else to plink at.

Of course I'm going to practice my butt off before you guys get there to lessen any embarrassment from my spray and pray technique.

elixin77

There's a possibility I might have up to 3 friends coming with me. Depends on their financial situation, where they are physically (one's in Quantico, VA), and how many bullets they can spare. 1 of them more than likely will not go, but the other two are in the air right now.

edit: i'll make sure I don't shoot the 91/30 at the steel plates, otherwise there will be holes in them....

I also have one of those twirly targets that are perfect for 22's, so i'll bring that with me too

Last edited:

Dreamer

I also have one of those twirly targets for rimfire, and I can bring it too if we need it.

I also have an unopened case of clays, and new clay thrower I've been wanting to try out, if folks want to bust some clays...

Exilin77, if your friends want to come but don't have enough ammo, I have a mess of 12ga shotshells, .22LR and .45acp ball ammo, and would gladly let a few boxes go at cost...

Last edited:

elixin77

I'll be up for busting some clays. Granted, i'll have a tacticool shotgun, but its a shotgun regardless :)

One of my friends is really interested in wanting to go, and all he has to do is procure some ammo.

My friend up in Quantico has to make sure he has permission to come down before he can, and he needs to decide if he wants to do a 4 hour drive

Overall, too many variables right now. When the date gets closer, I'll have a better idea of who can come and who can't, so we'll let you know Smith45ACP

Smith45acp

Sounds good.

I've had decent luck stopping in random Walmarts lately. Some have had good supplies.

Regardless, I'm not a rich man either. So when I go out I usually shoot 50-100 .45's and 200 or so .22lr's. .22 is great practice and costs pennies. I love it.