• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Chatham CO. OPEN RANGE DAY ALL INVITED

Dreamer

Bump...

Just a reminder to mark your calenders, get your firearms cleaned and lubed, and stock up on ammo and targets... ;)

I'll be there with bells on.

Hello, Id like to come. iv been on this forum for a wile but never really posted anything. it would be nice to come out and shoot outdoors, iv only been to indoor ranges. and it would be nice to meet new people too.

Smith45acp

Hello, Id like to come. iv been on this forum for a wile but never really posted anything. it would be nice to come out and shoot outdoors, iv only been to indoor ranges. and it would be nice to meet new people too.

You better come or we'll talk about you behind your back.

I've only met a couple of these guys, a couple of times.

So there are no cliques and everyone is welcome to join.

We'll have a couple lanes set up and take turns.

I just spent some decent scratch on ammo at walmart so I'm all set

spinner

Hey Smith45acp Jay here, Just caught your post. I'm thinking about coming if that's good depending on money. Thought I might bring my son to shoot, any problem with age's of the shooter's. Actually he just said let him come and if he out shoot's you, you owe him a meal. let me know.

Smith45acp

Hey Smith45acp Jay here, Just caught your post. I'm thinking about coming if that's good depending on money. Thought I might bring my son to shoot, any problem with age's of the shooter's. Actually he just said let him come and if he out shoot's you, you owe him a meal. let me know.

Haha! I'm not a betting man Jay! Of course you're both welcome to join.

Smith45acp

Maxi Mart
5875 old hwy us 1
New hill, nc

Meeting this Saturday at 12pm

If you think you might be late or get lost pm me for my cell.

If we leave this meeting point before you get there you'll have a hard time finding us so please be on time or call if there is a problem.

Pulling out of that parking lot at 12:15pm.

I'll have some tables and chairs, and some steel to shoot at. Please brainstorm anything else you think you'll need. This is definitely "byob" regarding supplies

elixin77

I'm bringing:

-My new shotgun ;););) - how many rounds depends on if I can score some at wally world before Dreamer and I can leave, or if Dreamer can pawn some off to me (total will be about 140ish)
-My MN 91/30 with about 80-100 rounds - I'm really anxious to shoot with this past 150 yards
-My 1911 with about 250 rounds
-My Marlin Glenfield 60 with a Dragunov stock and red dot (iron sights are off....) with about 500 rounds (almost zeroed, but I need to make sure before I let someone else shoot it)

-Twirly target for .22LR only
-A few silhouette paper targets

If someone has a clay thrower, maybe we can get a small competition going to see who's the best shotgun shot :banana:

edit: smith: the address you gave is giving me the location of a sky mart - is that the same place?

Last edited:

Dreamer

I'm bringing my Stevens 410 single-shot shotgun, just for "Ruger"... :lol:

And a few other things... ;)

I'm also bringing a case of clay pigeons and my new clay thrower, for "exilin77", to show him that "wing shooting" isn't NEARLY as easy as he thinks it is... :uhoh:

And maybe a "special surprise", depending on my schedule, and funding...

Last edited:

Smith45acp

6370, add some cheap paper plates and push pins and you'll be all set.

Yeah it's the only gas station nearby. I couldn't remember the name of it but it's just off the exit and back under the bridge on your right. Take US1 south from Raleigh and exit at old hwy us1. The land we'll be shooting on is a couple miles away.

Dreamer

all i have is a ruger sr9 and ammo.

There are going to be ALL KINDS of firearms at this "range day", and I'm sure with a little polite inquiry, some folks will be more than happy to "share the wealth" and let other folks try out their firearms. Actually, I'm sort of looking forward to swapping with some folks, to try out firearms I don't own, or haven't had a chance to shoot...

BTW, I picked up a second case of clays today, so we'll have nearly 200 to shoot at. The way I shoot trap, I'll need that many to hit 25.... :banghead:

Wingshooting is like golf--if you're good at it, it's a LOAD of fun. If you're REALLY bad at it, it's good for a laugh (but it can get expensive). But if you're fair to middlin', it can be more stressful than work...

elixin77

There are going to be ALL KINDS of firearms at this "range day", and I'm sure with a little polite inquiry, some folks will be more than happy to "share the wealth" and let other folks try out their firearms.

Call dibs on the para :banana::banana:

BTW, I picked up a second case of clays today, so we'll have nearly 200 to shoot at. The way I shoot trap, I'll need that many to hit 25.... :banghead:

Is there anyway to recover the clays after they've been thrown? Or do they crumble on impact with either shot or dirt?

Looking forward to saturday. I'm gonna bring some extra rounds for the 91/30, because I have a strong feeling everyone will want to put at least a stripper clip of 5 through, lol.

Dreamer and I will be leaving at around 930, so we should get there on time (provided a certain someone doesn't oversleep again... *cough* dreamer *cough*).

What are we doing for food? should we come fed, or with sandwiches?

sultan62

Wingshooting is like golf--if you're good at it, it's a LOAD of fun. If you're REALLY bad at it, it's good for a laugh (but it can get expensive). But if you're fair to middlin', it can be more stressful than work...

Amen. I'm on the lower end of fair, and find it VERY stressful. I'm also extremely inconsistent, which means I think I'm getting better, right before I miss ten in a row.

Smith45acp

I'd suggest either coming fed or bringing a sub or the like with you. I'll try to remember some OFF bug spray but having a backup in case I forget wouldn't hurt.

Here's the list of confirmed I have, and now is the time to speak up if you want on it!

-Elixin
-Dreamer

Not as many takers as I had hoped but there are plenty of benefits to a smaller crowd and I'm looking forward to tomorrow. We'll post pictures documenting the fun and maybe create some interest for the next one.

I'm off today and heading to the shop to make some field tables out of scrap, and mount my steel. I don't know the grade of this 3/8" metal I got cut so we'll see how well the 45's splatter on it. I hope they don't deform easily.

this is going to be fun. im exited. i might bring my camera too. if you guys dont mind getting your pic's taken. i also wouldent mind stopping by walmart and getting some shotgun shells if some one will share there gun to shoot clay. just let me know what kind to get. :)