• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Chatham CO. OPEN RANGE DAY ALL INVITED

elixin77

If you can procure a box of 25, that would be good. If you want to keep shooting, i don't mind letting you shoot the shells I'll have. I have a 12 gauge, so pick that up (shot size doesn't matter, but probably stick with 6-8, it might be cheaper)

We also have a possible show up of Ruger and Farkles too (and others that lurk and don't post).

If someone has either a 50ft or 100ft length of rope, that would be awesome, so we can get semi-accurate range measurements. I *think* i may have something, but I doubt it. I know I have a 16ft tape measure, but thats only good for short distance stuff. I'll bring it nonetheless

Cameras would be awesome. We can post pics and show off and make people jealous of all the fun they missed :banana::banana:

Smith45acp

We also have a possible show up of Ruger and Farkles too (and others that lurk and don't post).

It would be awful helpful to me to get an accurate count sometime before I leave in the morning.

If you haven't decided decide now. And if you lurk without an account make one and rsvp.

I was out there this week and there are some new cutouts from the rain. Any car will get close but I might end up shuttling people in the crew cab the last few hundred yards for the bumps.

I did finish all my steel stands and can't wait to try them out. They're 12 inch diameter plates (so if you're missing you better at least be fast!) mounted in various positions to 4X4 wood posts. Some doubles, some highs, some lows. I tried to mix it up. I just hope they don't deform and my frames don't get shot to sh1t! (how many pistol rounds can a wood post take? We'll see)

Elixin I have a wheel measuring device for my surveying so that will be perfect for gauging distance. There is a decent downward grade to the rifle lane, I don't know how much it will effect a zero.

12-12:15pm TOMORROW!!! See you there gentlemen.

Last edited:

Dreamer

I also have a couple measuring devices I can bring--a 100ft tape and a laser measurer...

I'll have plenty of 12ga shotshells for busting clays, if anyone wants to shoot. Or bring your own. I use the budget Federal bulk #7 shot 2 3/4" shells from Walmart--cheap and they do the trick...

Also, I was wondering if anyone had an FN FAL or CETME/G3/HK91 they were planning to bring. I'm looking to get a .308 rifle, and would like to "test drive" a few before I plunk down the cash at a local shop. I have my own NATO spec .308 ammo...

I'll also be bringing my cleaning kit, so if anyone needs to swab out their firearms at the end of the day, I'll have a complete kit for pistol (.22, 45acp) rifle (.22, .30 cal variants) and shotgun (12ga, 410). Hoppes cleaning solution and oil, as well as some silicone oil, and a BOATLOAD of cloth patches, etc...

How does the weather look? I have a HEEEYUGE canvas pavillion (12x16 footprint, 11' high peak) that I could bring, but it's sort of a pain to transport because it's so big. But it might be nice for cover if it gets hot, or it rains...

merc460

Man, I soooooooooooo want to come. the 2.5 hour drive each way is a killer on my back though.

Heck, I might show up. If I do, I will bring my AK-74, Mossberg 500, and Makarov pistol. May throw the Taurus Judge in there too.

Can someone PM me a contact number, in case I miss the meetup time/place.

Dreamer

Unfortunately I won't be coming. I've some obligations to attend to earlier in the day that will keep me from attending... and then I have a 6pm firearm retention training class - in downtown Raleigh, of all places.

So I guess I can leave my 410 at home... :p

You will be missed.
We'll take pictures to torture you with later... :monkey

Dreamer

I just wanted to post a quick note to thank "Smith45acp" for his hospitality, and setting up this "range day". Every had a TON of fun, it was a very safe and laid-back day, and we all learned some new things too.

I especially liked shooting the steel plates, and although we started the day shooting them from a stationary position, I came up with the idea of doing a sort of "move and shoot" type thing, which we did later in the afternoon, after I realised that 1) people were having a really tough time hitting the last target (it was about 50 yards out) and that I had a shot timer app on my iPhone. ("Exilin77" downloaded this app too, so we had two shot timers, and could take turns chasing the shooters and getting their data). This was the first time most of the folks had done anything like this, and we all agreed that it was a LOAD of fun, and the element of competition sparked a lot of interesting conversations, started up a few challenges, and showed us all where we were excelling, and where we needed some work.

We're already making plans to make that course a little more interesting (maybe a few "poppers" or "swinging targets", and perhaps a few barriers to shoot around or through in the future!). Yeah, sure, were not "IPSC Grandmasters" in the crowd, but it was a LOT ore fun than a formal competition, was a no-pressure environment, and was something new that most of the folks had never done.

We also went through a PRODIGIOUS amount of 12ga ammo and clays. By then end of the day, we'd burned through 3 cases of clays, and were having a GREAT time busting those little orange and black disks. Many of us were pleasantly surprised by our own performances (I was a lot better at what we were doing which was more like trap than my regular game of "5 stand"), and when all was said and done, some of us wished we had about 3 more hours of daylight and another case of clays, and perhaps a few more boxes of ammo for the pistols...

The real "sleeper" of the day, firearms-wise was the Ruger Mark 1 (I think it was "Smith45acp's") Everyone was VERY surprised at how easy to shoot and accurate it was. That little all-steel rimfire pistol just seemed to hit every target you pointed it at, and everyone who had the chance to shoot it was VERY impressed with it's ease of shooting and accuracy...

My new Glock 36 is still in the "break in" phase, and I had a few FTEs and FTFs on the "move and shoot" course (which luckily did NOT get video recorded.) but I think by the next time we have another range day, I will have all the kinks ironed out. My Para performed very well, but by about 5pm, I was starting to wish I had some fiber optic or tritium sights. Well, maybe it was all the GSR on the front blade that was slowing me down... ;)

Great day! Anyone who couldn't make it missed a REALLY fun afternoon. Next time, we'll have more clays, a more interactive pistol course, and perhaps a proper spotting scope for the rifle range, to make judging our long-distance shots a little easier.

And chairs--we all need to remember to bring camp chairs next time. Some of us "old timers" were starting to notice our feet and calves by the end of the day, from standing, walking and running for several hours...

But all in all, it was a REALLY fun range day, and everyone had a great time.

Thanks again ""Smith45acp" for putting this together, and opening up your land to us to use. Maybe next time we'll have an even bigger crowd!

Three cheers for Smith45acp!!!
:monkey:monkey:monkey

Last edited:

rotorhead

Uggh!

Was too new here (just registered the other day) and somehow I missed this thread or didn't click on it in time.
Sounds like y'all had a great time and if you decide to hold another I'll try to be there either to help out or simply show up and kill some tree bark.

Cheers!

elixin77

yeah, we were talking about doing this about once a month or so.

The day was a blast though. Had a ton of fun. shot a lot of bullets, shot a lot of targets, and shot a lot of clay birds. Thanks again smith45acp!

Smith45acp

I've already started sketching out some course ideas for cover and barriers. I will probably add some more steel and silhouettes for the next one. I want to get past that initial learning curve (which I already chipped away at yesterday) before I enter into some idpa shoots.

I'll get some stuff up soon and take some pictures. Dreamer you work on that reactive target we talked about I'll stick to the easy stuff!

I'm planning on a Sunday for the next one, to cut down on the beef with people trying to hunt on their Saturday off.

Oct. 3 is two weeks from today. I'm going to put a cap at 8 people because we ended up at a really perfect number. Things were always safe and never the least bit chaotic, like has happened to me before (no one from OC.org). I only saw a couple of safety items I'll need to cover with blanket rules for next time.

We didn't really have a cutoff time set for the day, and ended up scrounging for brass in the dark, so that speaks volumes for the fun factor of the day.

Thanks to all who came out, you're welcome to shoot with me any time (as long as you don't outshoot me every time)

RoadKing

Wouldn't ya know it's my luck that I don't check this sight frequently enough. I might have liked to come on out and watch / join in on the fun that it looks like you folks had. Lord knows I could use the practice....

Maybe next time....Oct 3rd

RK

Last edited:

merc460

I had a GREAT time!! I am glad I made the trip. I really enjoyed meeting everyone and the fun competitions. Next time, I will bring my falling plate rack.

what a great day that was, got to try many nice guns. meet really nice people. and shooting the clay was a lot of fun too.i got to do a lot of things for the first time and all of it was a lot of fun. that was aslo the first time i OC, which was really nice and exciting. Smith45acp thanks for setting all this up. i cant wait to go up there again.

sultan62

Ah, already got a range day planned for the 3rd up here in the mountains. Taking a bunch of first/second timers and already started to get people involved. Oh well, maybe I can make the NEXT one. :)

spinner

range day

Well it's Monday and everyone said all the good thing's already. So I'll thank Smith45 again and everyone who showed up. Perfect day and a great bunch of guy's to hang out with. We all seem to of forgot something to bring, but not ever doing this here before I think we did alright. On a side note ( I did realize Dreamer forgot to mention my 13 sec. winning speed time and my .328 speed on the first shot start time, but that's OK I'm sure he was running that course in his dream's all night.) Just breaking blls dreamer, just remember I'm the only on who broke a gun there, now I have to ship it away. My son had a great time and I want to thank everyone for letting him shoot a bunch of gun's that he has never tried before, class act.

Dreamer

Yes, TOTAL props to "spinner" for the astounding performance on the "move and shoot" course, and his blazing "first shot off" times all day long. His slowest "first shot" time was nearly half of anyone else's best time...

Your son was a real gentleman. He was polite, friendly, had exemplary firearms handling discipline, and a VERY good shot--especially with the shotgun, busting clays.

Sorry to hear about your pistol. Hopefully it's an easy (and inexpensive) repair. There were plenty of "loaners", so look at the bright side--it gave you an excuse to shoot everyone else's guns! ;)

Not many people shot my Para. I suppose I wasn't exactly offering it up (because I was shooting it all day) but I wasn't blowing people off--I sort of wanted people to have the chance to shoot it--there aren't many Para's out there, and mine is a real honey. Next time, I'll be sure to offer it up to folks to try.

And next time, I'll give you a run for your money on the "move and shoot" course. You bested me by 3 seconds (on a course that I helped design!), and that was just a little to much for my pride to stand... ;) LOL

The next range day should be even more fun--more guns, more people, more clays, and a MUCH more challenging "move and shoot" course. I've been watching IPSC, IDPA, and USPSA videos on YouTube all weekend... :monkey

Dreamer

"Smith45acp,"

What were the approximate dimensions of the space we used for the pistol course? I'd estimate about 40ft wide, and maybe 100 feet deep? Is that close? I'd like to work up a few new courses for the next range day...

sultan62

I'd love to give that Para a shot (or fifty) at some point in the future. Knowing that the speed to beat for first shot is .328 seconds is nice-it means I don't have to worry about trying to compete.:D