• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New frequent visitor to Charlotte from South Florida

FLEMTP

Hey everyone! Im here to get some info regarding open carry. I live in South Florida (Fort Myers) and I have family that just moved to Charlotte from Michigan. Michigan was a great state for open carry and I did so whenever I was up there. Florida unfortunately does not legally allow open carry unless you are hunting, fishing or camping. I do have a FL CWP and I know that it IS valid for concealed carry of a firearm ONLY here.

This is my first time in NC, and Ive been open carrying, (and occassionally concealed carrying) based on some of the great information you guys provided here. I have some questions however.

1. I see that you cannnot carry concealed in a financial institution. Is open carry into a Bank legal?

2. If I am open carrying (pistol on right hip) and I get into my car (with the gun on my hip still), is that considered concealed carry? Do I need to notify that I have a CWP from FL if I am stopped?

3. Does a sign have to have a specific wording? If it states no concealed weapons am I legally ok to open carry?

4. I have found the off limits list for concealed weapons. Is there a specific list of off limits for open carry? are they the same list?

5. I notice places like parks and the transit system here stipulate no firearms or dangerous weapons in the parks or on the buses/light rail. Does this apply to CWP holders too? Would I be able to carry concealed and be ok "legally"

6. If I go downtown charlotte and go walking around while open carrying, is it common to get hassled by Law Enforcement?

Thank you in advance for your help. As I said Im new here, I will be a frequent visitor here, and looking at possibly moving here sometime in the near future.

Maybe I'll even have a chance to make it to an open carry event somewhere around the charlotte area one of these days!

Thanks!

Last edited:

sultan62

I don't know all the answers, but here are the ones I do.

1. Yes
2. Too much interpretation for police, IDK.
3. No, Yes
4. Some minor differences. If you don't carry where CC isn't allowed, you'll be fine.
5. No. "No firearms" means none, period.
6. IDK, I don't spend time in Charlotte.

Ruger

Occupied Greensboro, North Carolina, United States
I'm a little short on time right now so I'll be brief & try to follow up with more info on the other questions later. One thing I wanted to point out is regarding financial institutions. Technically it is legal, but we have many yankee bankers who are ignorant to that fact. While it is legal, I do not recommend it. If I had been going to the same bank for years & knew all the staff, then I might do it, but living in the city & visiting various branches of a large banking company (Wachovia, in my case) I don't think it is a good idea. Staff & customers alike will probably freak out in a bank sooner than they would anywhere else. Not to mention that you are more likely (IMO) to be hassled by LEO's who are more likely to get called after you carry into a bank.

This is one of those areas that I think is a loophole law. My opinion is that the powers that be never intended for anyone to be able to lawfully carry a handgun into a financial institution, so they made it illegal to carry a concealed weapon into one. At the time that the law was written, open carry was less common than it is now, and no one gave any thought to the possibility that people would be OC'ing into their local banks. They can't really be charged with violating the law, since the wording of the law pertains only to concealed carry, but then one must ask - "Is it really worth the hassle?" For most people carrying into most banks, I think carrying into the bank is going to create more enemies than allies for OC. There are better educational opportunities available.

I've found that I can conduct pretty much any normal, day-to-day banking business either online, at an ATM, or via drive-thru teller windows. For me, the only thing that would probably require going inside would be if I were applying for a loan, or attempting to access a safe deposit box (neither of which I plan on doing any time soon).

IANAL, but this is just my advice. I'm sure there will probably be some other user who will flame me now for not standing up for my rights & how I should proudly OC into the bank of my choice every payday, and all the stupid BS that goes along with it.

PS - regarding signs - if it says no concealed weapons, that is another loophole. It may technically be legal to carry openly in there due to the specific wording, but expect management to get upset & tell you that you can't have the gun & their store & ask/tell you to leave. If you point out to them that the sign only says "no concealed weapons", then they will probably just call you a smartass before telling you to get out. When I see a sign that says "no concealed weapons" I typically treat it as if they don't want any weapons on site (which, typically, they don't).

Last edited:

sultan62

He may be right about the bank; similar to him, I very rarely actually go into a bank.

However, the "No Concealed Weapons", IMO, means just that. I have carried into a facility which was posted against concealed weapons without problems, though not often. I haven't disarmed for one of these, I just don't see them that often. However, if you were asked to leave or not to carry in the facility, I would simply leave rather than point out that the sign bans concealed weapons only.

FLEMTP

thanks for the info guys. Ive done my research... but i like to get some real world experience under my belt from other people to back up what I know, or dont know.

It has been nice being able to OC, and most people either a) dont notice the pistol or b) assume im a LEO.

I look like a LEO, and I work in EMS back in Florida, and previously in Law Enforcement in MI, So i think that helps some. The rest of it im sure is just that OC is becoming so common most people just dont care anymore. I just wish FL would get its head out of its @ss and legalize open carry already!

sultan62

I don't believe I've ever been mistaken for LE. I've been asked, but it was in a way that seemed to be a knee-jerk reaction at seeing the gun. As if they knew I wasn't a LEO, but didn't know what else to say.

It seems to me that most people don't notice it, though I have had some people tell me that people behind me when sitting in a restaurant are much less subtle about looking and pointing.