• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Sportsman's Warehouse, Reno

DVC

City? Who wants to live in a CITY?, Nevada, USA
They have big signs on sawhorses outside demanding that anyone with a gun unload it, have it inspected, and who knows what else.

I didn't bother reading it, I just went in -- I figured that if they had a problem with my GSP, I would leave. I spent half an hour in the store, including 20 minutes being helped by two different folks at the gun counter (I was looking for IWB mag pouch and holster, then asked about other things of interest).

NOT ONE COMMENT about my pistol from anyone. Not one comment about the signs or the rules or anything.

BTW, I was referred to SW by the lady at Silver State, who was locking the door as I arrived, asked if I needed to get something (she would open back up if I was), and when she didn't have what I need sent me to the nearby rival store. The young lady at SW referred me to Silver State, and the guy who helped me a little later referred me to a different store when SW didn't have what I was looking for. When's the last time you saw that kind of customer service in any other kind of place? An armed society is a polite society -- and I guess ARMORERS' society is HELPFUL society!

john-in-reno

I seen that the other day, and had to read it twice before I understood it

It says something to the affect if you are having a gun worked on, you need to stop and have it checked at the counter. if im not mistaken

I will stop off there today and reread it and take a Pic and post it.

Yard Sale

They have big signs on sawhorses outside demanding that anyone with a gun unload it, have it inspected, and who knows what else.

I didn't bother reading it
You're telling us what the sign says, the sign you didn't bother reading?

I gave it a cursory reading last time I was there and it more or less says they welcome holstered handguns.

I was worried they might not like OC at the gun counter if I go back to purchase more powder. (I previously CCed.) Glad to see they are OK with it.

sakeneko

I shop regularly at Sportsman's Warehouse in Reno, and my husband and I have purchased three handguns from them. Once I asked a salesperson if I could unholster my handgun to check and see if something I wanted to buy would fit it correctly. (I think it was a holster.) The salesperson directed me to the front desk, where the customer service rep explained their rules. Here's what they told me:

1) Concealed carry of a loaded handgun is fine, as long as the gun remains concealed.

2) Open carry of a loaded handgun is fine, as long as the gun is carried in a proper holster that covers the trigger guard, and remains holstered for the entire period that you are in the store.

3) *If* you will need to unholster the gun for any reason, such as to check if something fits before buying it, you need to unload it before you enter the store. They generally prefer to have it in its gun case as well, although they don't absolutely insist upon that.

IMHO those rules are perfectly reasonable. I'd have to go look at the sign, but I bet that it either says the same thing, or tries to say the same thing and fails to do so clearly. I don't have time to go by there this week and ask, but if somebody else does, feel free to print out my post and see if I understood the store rules correctly. :)

Last edited:

Sabotage70

I shop regularly at Sportsman's Warehouse in Reno, and my husband and I have purchased three handguns from them. Once I asked a salesperson if I could unholster my handgun to check and see if something I wanted to buy would fit it correctly. (I think it was a holster.) The salesperson directed me to the front desk, where the customer service rep explained their rules. Here's what they told me:

1) Concealed carry of a loaded handgun is fine, as long as the gun remains concealed.

2) Open carry of a loaded handgun is fine, as long as the gun is carried in a proper holster that covers the trigger guard, and remains holstered for the entire period that you are in the store.

3) *If* you will need to unholster the gun for any reason, such as to check if something fits before buying it, you need to unload it before you enter the store. They generally prefer to have it in its gun case as well, although they don't absolutely insist upon that.

IMHO those rules are perfectly reasonable. I'd have to go look at the sign, but I bet that it either says the same thing, or tries to say the same thing and fails to do so clearly. I don't have time to go by there this week and ask, but if somebody else does, feel free to print out my post and see if I understood the store rules correctly. :)
Bass Pro has somewhat the same deal. Although there sign says "Check all firearms". I have CC'ed and OC'ed with out any problem. Now I know better than better than to draw my firearm to "test fit" my weapon. One time I went in there OC'ing and checked another gun to see if they had a holster that would fit my .357 blackhawk. The funny part about that is the trigger lock the woman installed was very loose and wouldn't do what it was designed to do.:eek:

calmp9

I totally agree. I've been in there, but I don't remember the sign either.

I would insist on these rules too. I don't know how many times I have seen people hand a gunsmith a loaded firearm after proclaiming that it wasn't. Just because people have a right to open carry, it does not mean that know how to properly handle a firearm. I know that we would all like to believe that, but it just isn't so.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
Sportsmens's Warehouse made an agreement with OCDO several years ago to respect holstered open carry as long as you do not handle the gunin any way - if you are going to do gun handling, like turning it in for repair, checking out holsters, etc., then guns must be unloaded and checked in.