• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Shari's going anti gun?

Gryphon

Following a long, uneventful day at the Western Idaho Fair with a couple of friends on monday the 23rd, we decided to wind down by grabbing some desert and chatting at the Shari's at 8121 W Chinden Blvd. Upon being seated, one of our party visited the restroom. Our server came over to see if he could get us anything to drink but we opted to wait till our party member returned to order. Shortly after she returned, our friendly server came back and sheepishly asked if my sidearm was real and informed me that it was their policy that only law enforcement and security were permitted to carry in their restaurants. He was very apologetic, and when questioned further, could not provide definitive answers. Instead, he informed me that he wasn't entirely sure of what he was saying.

I assured him that I didn't hold anything against him and that I knew he was just doing his job, and then I requested to speak to the manager. He told me that they were quite busy and he couldn't promise that she would make it over quickly. I told him it was fine, and that I'd wait. A few minutes later, a lady came over and stood by our table without so much as a greeting. I asked her EXACTLY what the Shari's corporate policy was. Her response was simply "We don't allow guns". I asked her when this policy had come about, as I've carried into nearly every Shari's in the area many many times over the past three years without hearing so much as a peep about this. She informed me that it had always been the policy. When I inquired why I'd never heard of that till now, she told me it had just been enacted recently. I finally requested this policy in writing to pass on to friends and acquaintances, she replied with "Sure, just call corporate.". I told her it's not my job to prove Shari's policy, and she merely shrugged, told me I needed to leave, and walked off.

Our server returned and continued to apologise for the inconvenience and I assured him he was fine, shook his hand and wished him a good night. We took our business up the hill to an Ihop.

Curmudgeon

Following a long, uneventful day at the Western Idaho Fair with a couple of friends on monday the 23rd, we decided to wind down by grabbing some desert and chatting at the Shari's at 8121 W Chinden Blvd. Upon being seated, one of our party visited the restroom. Our server came over to see if he could get us anything to drink but we opted to wait till our party member returned to order. Shortly after she returned, our friendly server came back and sheepishly asked if my sidearm was real and informed me that it was their policy that only law enforcement and security were permitted to carry in their restaurants. He was very apologetic, and when questioned further, could not provide definitive answers. Instead, he informed me that he wasn't entirely sure of what he was saying.

I assured him that I didn't hold anything against him and that I knew he was just doing his job, and then I requested to speak to the manager. He told me that they were quite busy and he couldn't promise that she would make it over quickly. I told him it was fine, and that I'd wait. A few minutes later, a lady came over and stood by our table without so much as a greeting. I asked her EXACTLY what the Shari's corporate policy was. Her response was simply "We don't allow guns". I asked her when this policy had come about, as I've carried into nearly every Shari's in the area many many times over the past three years without hearing so much as a peep about this. She informed me that it had always been the policy. When I inquired why I'd never heard of that till now, she told me it had just been enacted recently. I finally requested this policy in writing to pass on to friends and acquaintances, she replied with "Sure, just call corporate.". I told her it's not my job to prove Shari's policy, and she merely shrugged, told me I needed to leave, and walked off.

Our server returned and continued to apologise for the inconvenience and I assured him he was fine, shook his hand and wished him a good night. We took our business up the hill to an Ihop.

See bold... am I missing something? Which is it, always or recently? :confused:

Vandal

Shari's doesn't allow their employees to carry at work, but there is no written policy regarding patrons carrying firearms.

I had the manager of the Moscow Shari's look into this for me once after she tried to confront me about OC. It was confirmed for me by the fiance of one of our members who worked there.

cdub

i just got done OC at the Shari's n cda no problems server took noticed it and continued to do his job no problems.

Last edited:

jt59

Shari's Does NOT allow weapons in their stores

I just personally spoke to Shari's Corporate:

SHARI'S CORPORATE OFFICE

9400 SW Gemini Drive

Beaverton, OR 97008

tel: (503) 605-4299

fax: (503) 605-4260

EMPLOYEE RELATIONS

Mike Bennett

Vice President of Human Resources

email: mbennett@sharis.com

He told me that Shari's policy regarding "No Weapons" (employee's or customers) has not changed for the nearly 20 years that he has been there. It is not a written "stand alone" policy, but is incorporated into the Employee Manual.....

Denny's on the other hand is where we have our monthly meet and greet's in our neck of the woods...

Last edited:

deanf

What is this fetish with written policies? The policy is whatever they decided it is on the spot, subject to change without notice. It is private property after all. Their private paperwork is none of our business.

Louie86

I am the member Vandal is talking about in his post and I had a long conversation with the Sharis manager in Moscow and she assured me that after talking to corporate and Moscow PD there was no policy against carrying in their restaurants as a customer. So now that there corporate officer is telling you there is one just makes it seem like no one really knows what their "official" standing is. It really seems to come down to individual managers and what they decide they want in their establishments.

Deanf the reason we ask for written policy is many places have a corporate policy that they must abide by but disagree with. So if that manager says we cannot carry in their establishment but their corporate HQ says it is perfectly fine that manager is overruled. I am always polite when asking for it in writing and most managers have no problems with me asking and let me know how to get their policy but like Gryphon said they have to prove it is wrong we don't have too do their job for them.

If it is in the employee handbook I couldn't find it when I looked through the handbook shown to me by the Moscow Sharis manager where it stated employees could not carry weapons on property.

Last edited:

deanf

So if that manager says we cannot carry in their establishment but their corporate HQ says it is perfectly fine that manager is overruled. I am always polite when asking for it in writing and most managers have no problems with me asking and let me know how to get their policy but like Gryphon said they have to prove it is wrong we don't have too do their job for them.

You don't have the authority to overrule a store manager by waving corporate policy under her nose. Do you really think corporate policy is going to matter to the police officer called to eject you, or the court that is trying you for trespass?

The fact is, the manager, as the representative of the property owner, has the authority to change the policy at will, no prior notice required. Her dealings up the chain of command are of no concern to the criminal court, or us. They are a private matter.

Louie86

Deanf
I must respectfully disagree. The corporate policy will in court and to an officer overrule whatever that manager has to say assuming that establishment is owned by that corporate entity and not a separate franchised business and you are not in simple terms being an ass. This seems to come down to a similar case as federal law overruling state law in most cases(obviously there are exceptions). I am not a lawyer and I have no idea if you are but that is how I interpret the law. Either way they couldn't charge me with trespass I never said I would stay there against the managers will but it would decide whether or not I would return to that establishment in the future(which I would have to do to be trespass). I don't know about you but my second purpose for carrying after protection is to inform the public about the laws and policies affecting personal protection by open carrying.

So I would as I already stated leave at that time and contact their corporate or whoever has overall authority and let them know their so called representative is not following their set policy. Then allow them to inform the representative what their policy is and that I am in fact not violating it. I do not wish to get into a direct confrontation where officers need to be called just question what their official policy is and not what that managers opinion is. Like I said before I am not a lawyer my law degree is from the university of google so I could always be wrong this is just my opinion and experience on how to further the general public's knowledge of OC.

Last edited:

Louie86

I just realized my point may not have come across like I meant it. I never advocate getting into an argument right there on the spot with the manager but I do advocate going over their head to fix the policy in the long run. Thus no need for any legal problems with the cops. This is how I have done it before to show certain managers what their corporate policy was and they no longer bothered me about OCing in their establishments after they were corrected by their superiors.

jt59

So,

I'm feeling like ole Mikey was just shining me on here....

I just personally spoke to Shari's Corporate:

SHARI'S CORPORATE OFFICE

9400 SW Gemini Drive

Beaverton, OR 97008

tel: (503) 605-4299

fax: (503) 605-4260

EMPLOYEE RELATIONS

Mike Bennett

Vice President of Human Resources

email: mbennett@sharis.com

He told me that Shari's policy regarding "No Weapons" (employee's or customers) has not changed for the nearly 20 years that he has been there. It is not a written "stand alone" policy, but is incorporated into the Employee Manual.....

Denny's on the other hand is where we have our monthly meet and greet's in our neck of the woods...

deanf

The corporate policy will in court and to an officer overrule whatever that manager has to say

You're commingling the criminal and the civil. You must separate them.

The police and the criminal court don't care about the civil (corporate policy). They do care about the criminal (manager informing you they don't allow guns, and you going tit-for-tat with her about corporate policy, which I see as refusing to leave). Of course you may not take it that far, but that's the road you're pointing down.

No one in the criminal justice system will care if the manager is violating corporate policy. That's a civil issue between the manager and the corporation.

John Wolver

we heard the same thing at the meridian location one time, as a group, in singles and pairs they dont have a problem... so i would assume it is them being anti groups.