Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hb 6382

Hb 6382

There has been a bill proposed to clarify that a CPL means you can carry more than 1 pistol. This looks like a bill that needs to be backed by all CPL holders.

Good bill, we are about to find out what the appetite for pro-gun legislation is. This is will be a pretty good indicator, if this bill doesn't pass...oooh boy.

Yes this is a god bill and I will be writing my legislatures supporting this one!
    Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

Maybe this will get Kim Worthy to stop prosecuting CPL Holders for carrying more than A Pistol.

Wait, are you telling me I can't carry a back up weapon?

Quote Originally Posted by maustin195 View Post
    There has been a bill proposed to clarify that a CPL means you can carry more than 1 pistol. This looks like a bill that needs to be backed by all CPL holders.
    Exo 22:2 "If anyone catches a thief breaking in and hits him so that he dies, he is not guilty of murder.
    Luke 22:36: "Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luk 11:21 "When a strong man, with all his weapons ready, guards his own house, all his belongings are safe.

Banned
    I'll be contacting them as well.

i did not even know this was an issue. so, kim worthy is prosecuting people for carrying more than one gun?

Banned
    conceal the bug, and OC the rest.

Why do we need this? The Revised Statutes of 1846 has this covered.

8.3b Singular and plural; gender.

Sec. 3b.

Every word importing the singular number only may extend to and embrace the plural number, and every word importing the plural number may be applied and limited to the singular number. Every word importing the masculine gender only may extend and be applied to females as well as males.
    These are the statutes that lay out the rules of construction for the Michigan Compiled Laws. So when MCL 28.425c states:

2) Subject to section 5o and except as otherwise provided by law, a license to carry a concealed pistol issued by the county concealed weapon licensing board authorizes the licensee to do all of the following:

(a) Carry a pistol concealed on or about his or her person anywhere in this state.

(b) Carry a pistol in a vehicle, whether concealed or not concealed, anywhere in this state.
    the singular usage of "a pistol" should be able to be extended to include the plural.

Just more mucking about making laws for things that have already been addressed.

Bronson
    Last edited by Bronson; 08-26-2010 at 05:56 PM.
    Those who expect to reap the benefits of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it. Thomas Paine

I am on board I can see some moron prosecutor trying to financially destroy someone with that lack of an (s) in pistol(s).

That is the new well used tactic of the leftists to destroy a person with law suits and lawyers fees. And since in the lawful exercise of my employment I have been known to carry more than two weapons, it is a concern.

Quote Originally Posted by Bronson View Post

These are the statutes that lay out the rules of construction for the Michigan Compiled Laws. So when MCL 28.425c states:

the singular usage of "a pistol" should be able to be extended to include the pural.

Just more mucking about making laws for things that have already been addressed.

Bronson
    Last edited by Bailenforcer; 08-25-2010 at 05:11 AM.
    Exo 22:2 "If anyone catches a thief breaking in and hits him so that he dies, he is not guilty of murder.
    Luke 22:36: "Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luk 11:21 "When a strong man, with all his weapons ready, guards his own house, all his belongings are safe.

multiple pistol carry.

Quote Originally Posted by maustin195 View Post
    The state police have already said you can carry multiple pistols with the CPL. Check with trooper hawkins at hawkinscj@michigan.gov

Quote Originally Posted by Bronson View Post

the singular usage of "a pistol" should be able to be extended to include the pural.

Bronson
    While all that is true several prosecutors have made noises about ignoring that and why tempt fate. A court case is expensive even if you win!

I agree that the law is clear that pistol means pistols... however some people in a position to cause serious issues do not agree.
    Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

Quote Originally Posted by thekunk47 View Post
    The state police have already said you can carry multiple pistols with the CPL. Check with trooper hawkins at hawkinscj@michigan.gov

However the state police opinions are only binding on the state police. So while we appreciate them they are not the final answer!

HOUSE BILL No. 6382

August 19, 2010, Introduced by Reps. Agema, Rick Jones, Meekhof, Schuitmaker, Moss, Sheltrown, Calley, Liss, Crawford, Genetski and Amash and referred to the Committee on Tourism, Outdoor Recreation and Natural Resources.

A bill to amend 1927 PA 372, entitled

"An act to regulate and license the selling, purchasing,

possessing, and carrying of certain firearms and gas ejecting

devices; to prohibit the buying, selling, or carrying of certain

firearms and gas ejecting devices without a license or other

authorization; to provide for the forfeiture of firearms under

certain circumstances; to provide for penalties and remedies; to

provide immunity from civil liability under certain circumstances;

to prescribe the powers and duties of certain state and local

agencies; to prohibit certain conduct against individuals who apply

for or receive a license to carry a concealed pistol; to make

appropriations; to prescribe certain conditions for the

appropriations; and to repeal all acts and parts of acts

inconsistent with this act,"

by amending section 5c (MCL 28.425c), as amended by 2002 PA 719.

THE PEOPLE OF THE STATE OF MICHIGAN ENACT:

Sec. 5c. (1) A license to carry a concealed pistol shall be in

a form, with the same dimensions as a Michigan operator license,

prescribed by the department of state police. The license shall

contain all of the following:

(a) The licensee's full name and date of birth.

(b) A photograph and a physical description of the licensee.

(c) A statement of the effective dates of the license.

(d) An indication of exceptions authorized by this act

applicable to the licensee.

(e) An indication whether the license is a duplicate.

(2) Subject to section 5o and except as otherwise provided by

law, a license to carry a concealed pistol issued by the county

concealed weapon licensing board authorizes the licensee to do all

of the following:

(a) Carry a pistol 1 or more pistols concealed on or about his

or her person anywhere in this state.

(b) Carry a pistol 1 or more pistols in a vehicle, whether

concealed or not concealed, anywhere in this state.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I put the change in bold.....
    "It isn't that Liberals are ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so" --Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by PDinDetroit View Post
    Maybe this will get Kim Worthy to stop prosecuting CPL Holders for carrying more than A Pistol.
    So does this mean she also goes after all the Wayne County Reserve Sheriffs whom Carry a Glock 22 (or 23) on their hip and a Glock 27 on their ankle? Since they carry strictly under the authority of their CPL, so when they are in their patrol car... Or Detroit Reservists, or Dearborn, or Highland Park, ect.........

Re re
    "Bam, I like saying bam when I cite something, in fact I think I shall do this from here on out, as long as I remember.
    Bam!" - eastmeyers

"Then said he to them, But now he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his sack: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one."
    Luke 22:36
    God Bless

Quote Originally Posted by eastmeyers View Post
    So does this mean she also goes after all the Wayne County Reserve Sheriffs whom Carry a Glock 22 (or 23) on their hip and a Glock 27 on their ankle? Since they carry strictly under the authority of their CPL, so when they are in their patrol car... Or Detroit Reservists, or Dearborn, or Highland Park, ect.........

Re re
    If their going to nitpick like that, it says "pistol" and not "revolver", so will someone be charged because they carry a revolver, and not a modern "pistol"? Why not make it simple and say "Any person not convicted of a violent felony may carry a firearm or firearms of their choosing, openly or concealed, in all areas of the state"

Lets presume for a moment that CPL allows only for one concealed pistol. Then, can someone explain to me what would be the charge for carrying concealed more than one? Would a charge be "carrying a second concealed pistol"? under what Statute? And, what is the penalty?. Does CPL law specifically states that carrying more than one pistol is a violation? What is the penalty, then? Fine, suspension and fine, suspension for 6 months, 3 years? Revocation for good?

I do not understand what is the legal consequence? If only one pistol allowed, then there should be a specific statute clearly stating so, and there should be specific penalty for violation of such statute.

MOC Charter Member - Dearborn Heights, Michigan, USA
    Quote Originally Posted by sasha601 View Post
    Lets presume for a moment that CPL allows only for one concealed pistol. Then, can someone explain to me what would be the charge for carrying concealed more than one?
    I would bet that your CPL would cover the first "pistol" but any other after that would be a CCW charge, as they contend it is not covered by your CPL.

conceal the bug, and OC the rest.
    I was just going to say the same thing.
    I always open carry one of my Kimber 1911 pistols everywhere I go. Usually in a paddle holster. Nothing fancy, but it works for me.

Quote Originally Posted by ISMOID View Post
    I would bet that your CPL would cover the first "pistol" but any other after that would be a CCW charge, as they contend it is not covered by your CPL.
    This would never stick.

Quote Originally Posted by sasha601 View Post
    This would never stick.
    I would like to believe you are right, but with todays court system you never know. If you were charged and won the cost could easily ruin you financially. If they pass this it will be 1 less reason for a BS charge.

Lets just look at this as a small test of pro-gun legislation. It may be dumb, but it will tell us about the climate in Lansing.

Quote Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
    If their going to nitpick like that, it says "pistol" and not "revolver", so will someone be charged because they carry a revolver, and not a modern "pistol"?
    lets hope not, I just picked up a S&W airweight BUG.

A pistol is defined as a short barreled gun designed to be held in one hand. Semiautomatic and revolver are just two types of pistols.

I agree with Scot623, this is a good test for those in office to see where their minds are at.

Weather Gage!

"One small step for man............"
    ‎"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands; one nation under God, indivisible with liberty and justice for all."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast