Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 37

Thread: examiner.com - OpenCarry.org calls on Michigan legislature to repeal open carry . . .

  1. #1
    Moderator / Administrator
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Fairfax County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    8,711

    examiner.com - OpenCarry.org calls on Michigan legislature to repeal open carry . . .

    Please SUBSCRIBE to this column at http://www.examiner.com/x-2782-DC-Gun-Rights-Examiner

    And DIGG and REDDIT the article at

    http://www.examiner.com/gun-rights-i...hools-bars-etc

    SNIP

    As unlikley as it might seem, OpenCarry.org, the hub of the American open carry movement, has come out against government mandates requiring open carry. The issue bubbled up amidst recent howls by the Metro Detroit political class lamenting Michigan Open Carry Inc.'s victory in securing gun carry rights at the upcoming Arts, Beats and Eats 2010 festival in the City of Royal Oak. It turned out that Royal Oak's contract with the festival organizers called for banning both open and concealed carry at the festival. Further investigation revealed that Michigan law . . .
    Last edited by Mike; 08-24-2010 at 11:32 PM.

  2. #2
    Regular Member autosurgeon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Lawrence, Michigan, United States
    Posts
    3,845
    Nice article MIKE!
    Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

    Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

  3. #3
    Regular Member PDinDetroit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    SE, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    2,336
    My open letter to MI Legislators sent to John@OpenCarry.org.

  4. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Davisburg, Michigan, United States
    Posts
    8,948
    Subscribed. Comment posted.

  5. #5
    Campaign Veteran RabbiVJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    ATL via DTW
    Posts
    212
    Damn...yeah Mike does have a point...it is required as per 28.425o and 750.234d...
    Last edited by RabbiVJ; 08-25-2010 at 01:00 AM.
    -NRA Member, GSSF Member, GeorgiaCarry Member, Glock Certified Armorer, Glock 30SF, STI Elektra, M&P9c, NAA Black Widow .22 WMR
    -“I do believe that where there is a choice only between cowardice and violence, I would advise violence.”—Mahatma Ghandhi

  6. #6
    Regular Member dougwg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    MOC Charter Member Westland, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    2,445
    Yeah.... all they have to do is remove "(c) A person licensed by this state or another state to carry a concealed weapon." and we're all screwed.

    Mike, sorry to say but this article should never have seen the light of day.

  7. #7
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Davisburg, Michigan, United States
    Posts
    8,948
    I'm concerned as well.

    If I have learned one thing since I started carrying guns is that rights don't mean di** to those in authority.

  8. #8
    Campaign Veteran Glock9mmOldStyle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Taylor, Wayne County, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    2,047
    Quote Originally Posted by dougwg View Post
    Yeah.... all they have to do is remove "(c) A person licensed by this state or another state to carry a concealed weapon." and we're all screwed.

    Mike, sorry to say but this article should never have seen the light of day.
    Agreed! Well intentioned but, it may blow up in our faces!

  9. #9
    Regular Member dougwg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    MOC Charter Member Westland, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    2,445
    Mike, please take down that article.

  10. #10
    Activist Member hamaneggs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    warren, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    1,251

    Exclamation

    We need to get all those stupid firearm requirements repealed.OC,CC anywhere 24/7.Thats the goal!Thats our fight!
    Today JESUS would tell me to sell my coat and buy two Springfield XD Compact 45acp's!

    NRA LIFER,GOA,MOC Inc.,CLSD,MCRGO,UAW! MOLON LABE!!

  11. #11
    Campaign Veteran Glock9mmOldStyle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Taylor, Wayne County, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    2,047

    Thumbs down

    Quote Originally Posted by hamaneggs View Post
    We need to get all those stupid firearm requirements repealed.OC,CC anywhere 24/7.Thats the goal!Thats our fight!
    Baby steps, baby steps. This article hands any MI. "anti-2A" Legislators a 10 ton hammer to drop on our heads!

  12. #12
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Davisburg, Michigan, United States
    Posts
    8,948
    I think they know what their plans are, no disrespect meant to anyone, but I don't see that what we write or do will give them ideas they haven't thought of themselves.

  13. #13
    Activist Member hamaneggs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    warren, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    1,251
    Quote Originally Posted by Glock9mmOldStyle View Post
    Baby steps, baby steps. This article hands any MI. "anti-2A" Legislators a 10 ton hammer to drop on our heads!
    Baby steps are what it takes to get a bill introduced,through committee,the house,the senate,back through the house and senate,then a vote in both houses to pass anything.With the pro-gun bills already in line and citizen emails,calls and letters,it wouldn't be soeasy to slip any bad bills by us.
    I know how bad DC is but in MI the houses are split majorities.No need to fear where we tread!There are no ten ton hammers!
    Last edited by hamaneggs; 08-26-2010 at 02:40 AM.
    Today JESUS would tell me to sell my coat and buy two Springfield XD Compact 45acp's!

    NRA LIFER,GOA,MOC Inc.,CLSD,MCRGO,UAW! MOLON LABE!!

  14. #14
    Moderator / Administrator
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Fairfax County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    8,711
    Quote Originally Posted by dougwg View Post
    Yeah.... all they have to do is remove "(c) A person licensed by this state or another state to carry a concealed weapon." and we're all screwed.
    And - they can do this if they want to vote pass anti-gun legislation anytime they want - people said open carry in virginia restaurants would result in an open carry ban in restaurants - not only was such a ban never introduced, after years of increasing open carry in restaruants, the Virginia legislature repealed the open carry requirement!

    The same can happen in Michigan - except you have many places where open carry is required.

    People are already open carrying in these places in Michigan, inclduing schools, so the antis already know about these open carry required zones - the press release john did did not tip them off, but hopefully this will be a wakeup call for Michigan open carriers to open carry more in these places and get the legislature to remove these requirements and allow CPL holders to conceal there.

    Carry on!

  15. #15
    Activist Member hamaneggs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    warren, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    1,251
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    And - they can do this if they want to vote pass anti-gun legislation anytime they want - people said open carry in virginia restaurants would result in an open carry ban in restaurants - not only was such a ban never introduced, after years of increasing open carry in restaruants, the Virginia legislature repealed the open carry requirement!

    The same can happen in Michigan - except you have many places where open carry is required.

    People are already open carrying in these places in Michigan, inclduing schools, so the antis already know about these open carry required zones - the press release john did did not tip them off, but hopefully this will be a wakeup call for Michigan open carriers to open carry more in these places and get the legislature to remove these requirements and allow CPL holders to conceal there.

    Carry on!
    We have bills to repeal PFZ's.The MI house just needs to move em.
    Today JESUS would tell me to sell my coat and buy two Springfield XD Compact 45acp's!

    NRA LIFER,GOA,MOC Inc.,CLSD,MCRGO,UAW! MOLON LABE!!

  16. #16
    Moderator / Administrator
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Fairfax County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    8,711
    Quote Originally Posted by hamaneggs View Post
    We have bills to repeal PFZ's
    Please spell out all acronyms before using.

    PFZ = ?

  17. #17
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Davisburg, Michigan, United States
    Posts
    8,948
    Pistol Free Zones.

  18. #18
    Activist Member hamaneggs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    warren, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    1,251
    Quote Originally Posted by hamaneggs View Post
    We have bills to repeal PFZ's.The MI house just needs to move em.
    Of course,Pistol Free Zones. The list of bills in MI here- http://www.mcrgo.org/mcrgo/d_legislative.asp .
    HB 4348 "Eliminate pistol free areas". 2/9/10.
    You can sign up to get updates for laws and committee agendas at http://www.michiganvotes.org:80/Legi...aspx?ID=119886 .
    Last edited by hamaneggs; 08-26-2010 at 08:26 PM.
    Today JESUS would tell me to sell my coat and buy two Springfield XD Compact 45acp's!

    NRA LIFER,GOA,MOC Inc.,CLSD,MCRGO,UAW! MOLON LABE!!

  19. #19
    Regular Member NHCGRPR45's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Chesterfield Township, MI
    Posts
    1,137
    wow, maybe he should have re-thought his press release! what the hell john! i love the site but REALLY???????? you can't repeal something that DOSEN"T EXSIST! its just not illegal! hence whatever is not illegal is LEGAL! c'mon guy! score one for the anti's
    Last edited by NHCGRPR45; 08-29-2010 at 02:25 PM. Reason: mistake in spelling

  20. #20
    Regular Member Bailenforcer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    City
    Posts
    1,077
    When I had a unrestricted CCW/General there was no problems, but the Michigan Legislators tried playing games with the new CPL laws. The old adage don't try and fix what wasn't broken applies here. The adding in of all the idiotic pistol free zones is what messed things up. It's time for our so called leaders to act like leaders and get rid of the pistol free stupidity once and for all. All it does is complicates what shouldn't be complicated, and tie up precious resources of the Police and courts for what amounts to someone forgetting to cross his T or dot his "i", and does nothing to stop the criminals.


    Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    And - they can do this if they want to vote pass anti-gun legislation anytime they want - people said open carry in virginia restaurants would result in an open carry ban in restaurants - not only was such a ban never introduced, after years of increasing open carry in restaruants, the Virginia legislature repealed the open carry requirement!

    The same can happen in Michigan - except you have many places where open carry is required.

    People are already open carrying in these places in Michigan, inclduing schools, so the antis already know about these open carry required zones - the press release john did did not tip them off, but hopefully this will be a wakeup call for Michigan open carriers to open carry more in these places and get the legislature to remove these requirements and allow CPL holders to conceal there.

    Carry on!
    Exo 22:2 "If anyone catches a thief breaking in and hits him so that he dies, he is not guilty of murder.
    Luke 22:36: "Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luk 11:21 "When a strong man, with all his weapons ready, guards his own house, all his belongings are safe.

  21. #21
    Activist Member hamaneggs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    warren, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    1,251
    Quote Originally Posted by Bailenforcer View Post
    When I had a unrestricted CCW/General there was no problems, but the Michigan Legislators tried playing games with the new CPL laws. The old adage don't try and fix what wasn't broken applies here. The adding in of all the idiotic pistol free zones is what messed things up. It's time for our so called leaders to act like leaders and get rid of the pistol free stupidity once and for all. All it does is complicates what shouldn't be complicated, and tie up precious resources of the Police and courts for what amounts to someone forgetting to cross his T or dot his "i", and does nothing to stop the criminals.
    Shall carry in MI was a blessing to those who didn't know someone before it was passed.Our job is to repeal all the hoops that were put into the law to get it passed!Thats going to take work,which I believe everyone hear is up for! CARRY ON!
    Today JESUS would tell me to sell my coat and buy two Springfield XD Compact 45acp's!

    NRA LIFER,GOA,MOC Inc.,CLSD,MCRGO,UAW! MOLON LABE!!

  22. #22
    Regular Member dougwg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    MOC Charter Member Westland, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    2,445
    Quote Originally Posted by Bailenforcer View Post
    When I had a unrestricted CCW/General there was no problems, but the Michigan Legislators tried playing games with the new CPL laws. The old adage don't try and fix what wasn't broken applies here. The adding in of all the idiotic pistol free zones is what messed things up. It's time for our so called leaders to act like leaders and get rid of the pistol free stupidity once and for all. All it does is complicates what shouldn't be complicated, and tie up precious resources of the Police and courts for what amounts to someone forgetting to cross his T or dot his "i", and does nothing to stop the criminals.
    Migunowners.org has a petition that they are getting signatures for that is exactly what you are asking for.

    A petition to repeal the GFZ's

  23. #23
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    49

    Wink So look at this!

    Subject: Fwd: Accidental Deaths





    Doctors vs. Gun Owners

    Doctors

    (A) The number of physicians in the U.S. is

    700,000.

    (B) Accidental deaths caused by Physicians

    per year are

    120,000.

    (C) Accidental deaths per physician
    is

    0.171

    Statistics courtesy of U.S. Dept of
    Health and Human Services.

    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

    Now think about this:

    Guns

    (A) The number of gun owners in the U.S.

    is

    80,000,000.

    (Yes, that's 80 million)

    (B) The number of accidental gun deaths

    per year, all age groups,

    is

    1,500.

    (C) The number of accidental deaths

    per gun owner

    is

    .000188

    Statistics courtesy of FBI


    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

    So, statistically, doctors are approximately

    9,000 times more dangerous than gun owners.

    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

    Remember, 'Guns don't kill people, doctors do.'

    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

    FACT: NOT EVERYONE HAS A GUN,

    BUT

    Almost everyone has at least one doctor.
    This means you are over 900 times more likely to be killed by a doctor as a gun owner!!!

    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

    Please alert your friends

    to this

    alarming threat.

    We must ban doctors

    before this gets completely out of hand!!!!!

    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

    Out of concern for the public at large,

    I withheld the statistics on

    lawyers

    for fear the shock would cause

    people to panic and seek medical attention!


    So call you state office and tell them you want all physician that kill your loved one locked up! this is what the nut's what to do you our gun rights!














    Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Please SUBSCRIBE to this column at http://www.examiner.com/x-2782-DC-Gun-Rights-Examiner

    And DIGG and REDDIT the article at

    http://www.examiner.com/gun-rights-i...hools-bars-etc

    SNIP

    As unlikley as it might seem, OpenCarry.org, the hub of the American open carry movement, has come out against government mandates requiring open carry. The issue bubbled up amidst recent howls by the Metro Detroit political class lamenting Michigan Open Carry Inc.'s victory in securing gun carry rights at the upcoming Arts, Beats and Eats 2010 festival in the City of Royal Oak. It turned out that Royal Oak's contract with the festival organizers called for banning both open and concealed carry at the festival. Further investigation revealed that Michigan law . . .
    Last edited by soldier.53; 08-31-2010 at 12:01 AM.

  24. #24
    Regular Member Bailenforcer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    City
    Posts
    1,077
    I am with the removal of ALL pistol free zones so I can carry as I have for over 3 decades. It is pure idiocy to have these pistol free zones it causes more potential problems to have people unpacking and unloading weapons in public as opposed to carry where the weapon stays secured. The greatest potential for an accident is when a weapon is handled as opposed to being holstered. The pistol free stupidity greatly increases the potential for accidents. It was a misguided attempt to satisfy the ignorant.


    Quote Originally Posted by hamaneggs View Post
    Shall carry in MI was a blessing to those who didn't know someone before it was passed.Our job is to repeal all the hoops that were put into the law to get it passed!Thats going to take work,which I believe everyone hear is up for! CARRY ON!
    Exo 22:2 "If anyone catches a thief breaking in and hits him so that he dies, he is not guilty of murder.
    Luke 22:36: "Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luk 11:21 "When a strong man, with all his weapons ready, guards his own house, all his belongings are safe.

  25. #25
    Regular Member Bailenforcer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    City
    Posts
    1,077
    Maybe I need to get some of these to have people sign.


    Quote Originally Posted by dougwg View Post
    Migunowners.org has a petition that they are getting signatures for that is exactly what you are asking for.

    A petition to repeal the GFZ's
    Exo 22:2 "If anyone catches a thief breaking in and hits him so that he dies, he is not guilty of murder.
    Luke 22:36: "Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luk 11:21 "When a strong man, with all his weapons ready, guards his own house, all his belongings are safe.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •