Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 34

Thread: IDPA match september 4th

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Kansas city, Kansas United States
    Posts
    334

    IDPA match september 4th

    well its coming on that time. if anyone wants to go to the IDPA match. its on september 4th. here a link to the info for it.

    http://www.facebook.com/event.php?ei...489369&index=1

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Somewhere in MO
    Posts
    204
    I will be there to redeem myself from my first time and trying to talk a co-worker into it also.

  3. #3
    Regular Member Big Boy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    STL, MO
    Posts
    443
    So damned far away....

    maybe one of these days when the money and the day off jive together.

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    O'Fallon, MO, ,
    Posts
    87
    I really want to get involved in IDPA, but am apprehensive since I don't know how and am worried about shooting in situations outside of, you know, the range or an advanced class. Any suggestions, anyone?

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Kansas city, Kansas United States
    Posts
    334
    silo, you should come.i can meet you at the kum and go in bolivor, and let you tag behind me to the range. and if your okay with getting there a bit early, it give me a bit of time to go over on some of the rules.

    and for your first time, you could just kinda take your time and just shoot at your own pace and get comfortable with it. and next time you can work on the speed after your comfortable with the shooting scenerio.

    and side note. they got all skill levels there. they got guys that are good, and they got beginers. i seen people that dont worry about the time and just walk threw the course. and they are all very helpfull. i havent yet met a guy who seemed to be an ass there. some of the range oficers come off that way, but they really arent to bad. the main one that seemed that way at first, actually gave me some tips my first time. i guess its just his tone of voice.

    but PM if you got any other questions or would like to meet up before hand etc. but i think you should go, you have a blast. and if you have an combat gun or shot gun. you can bring it for the side match if you enjoy shooting targets with those.

  6. #6
    Regular Member afcarry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Southeast of KC Mossouri
    Posts
    206
    hmmm. Same as above, never shot at one before, so I might watch. But at the least it'll be a nice time to network some.
    An individual should not choose the caliber, cartridge, and bullet that will kill an an animal when everything is right; rather, he should choose ones that will kill the most efficiently when everything goes wrong

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Kansas city, Kansas United States
    Posts
    334
    i think you should shoot. i mean if you dont feel comfortable then watching second best. but you wont learn all the rules and what techinques work best till you actually shoot. you would learn more from shooting and just taking your time and not worrying about the time, then you would be by watching.

    thats just what i have found out, mabye ask HYRYSC what he thinks, he watched then shot the next time. see if he thought it was worth watching first or if he recomend just going to the shooting.

  8. #8
    Regular Member afcarry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Southeast of KC Mossouri
    Posts
    206
    well with that said, I think i might just shoot. couldn't hurt, right? at the least its time spent shooting, which is always fun.
    An individual should not choose the caliber, cartridge, and bullet that will kill an an animal when everything is right; rather, he should choose ones that will kill the most efficiently when everything goes wrong

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Kansas city, Kansas United States
    Posts
    334
    yah, i think you learn 2x as much just taking your time and going threw it then watching. but its up to you. if you like watching first then do that, i just think you be kicking yourself in the end for not shooting.

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    O'Fallon, MO, ,
    Posts
    87
    Whoa, I didn't realize where Bear Creek was. Apparently you're way down in BFE. A little far for me, unfortunately. I want to try one of them that's up here.. from what I've heard, most are done in Wright City up here, right? I'm from there.

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Kansas city, Kansas United States
    Posts
    334
    the only ones i know of are bear creek tatical by stockton, and big piney sportsman club in houston missouri. as far as counties go, i not sure what they are in.

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Mo.
    Posts
    279
    Quote Originally Posted by silo View Post
    I really want to get involved in IDPA, but am apprehensive since I don't know how and am worried about shooting in situations outside of, you know, the range or an advanced class. Any suggestions, anyone?
    Quote Originally Posted by afcarry View Post
    hmmm. Same as above, never shot at one before, so I might watch. But at the least it'll be a nice time to network some.
    You both need to come out equipped to shoot. You really might regret just coming to watch. Hate to see you do this:

    If you can hit a head shot and/or a center mass shot, then you're already on your way. The next step is simple: Follow directions for the course of fire (each stage). No better way to practice situations outside the classroom or range than to go to an event such as this.

    You'll get the practical situation with absolutely no pressure to be fast. Go at your own pace, shoot for accuracy and don't worry about your actual time. Your time success will come quickly. Those that focus on time tend to falter with accuracy from time to time. Shot placement is key.

    To give you an example from the July 3rd match. The scenarios were set up with 2 for procedure and accuracy then 2 for speed and accuracy. Trust in this, the procedure penalties can rack up in a big hurry. At that shoot, even some of the top times weren't as fast as they could or should have been.

    goalsetter came out with the intent to shoot at his first one. Glad he did too, he shot quite well for his first run. He's been to 2 of them now and I honestly think he's permanently hooked. By the way goalsetter, I'm throwing down the gauntlet at the match. I beat myself pretty badly with procedural penalties and I intend to correct that issue this time around. Are you planning on staying for a side match if they have one?

    Will you other shooters need directions to the range? We'll likely use the Kum and Go at 13 and 32 as a rally point again, departure time from there will be 8am sharp. If you're late, you're on your own getting from the station to the range. Of course, if you need directions we'll gladly provide directions, GPS coords, and the address.
    Last edited by heresyourdipstickjimmy; 08-28-2010 at 01:15 AM.

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Kansas city, Kansas United States
    Posts
    334
    Quote Originally Posted by heresyourdipstickjimmy View Post
    You both need to come out equipped to shoot. You really might regret just coming to watch. Hate to see you do this:

    If you can hit a head shot and/or a center mass shot, then you're already on your way. The next step is simple: Follow directions for the course of fire (each stage). No better way to practice situations outside the classroom or range than to go to an event such as this.

    You'll get the practical situation with absolutely no pressure to be fast. Go at your own pace, shoot for accuracy and don't worry about your actual time. Your time success will come quickly. Those that focus on time tend to falter with accuracy from time to time. Shot placement is key.

    To give you an example from the July 3rd match. The scenarios were set up with 2 for procedure and accuracy then 2 for speed and accuracy. Trust in this, the procedure penalties can rack up in a big hurry. At that shoot, even some of the top times weren't as fast as they could or should have been.

    goalsetter came out with the intent to shoot at his first one. Glad he did too, he shot quite well for his first run. He's been to 2 of them now and I honestly think he's permanently hooked. By the way goalsetter, I'm throwing down the gauntlet at the match. I beat myself pretty badly with procedural penalties and I intend to correct that issue this time around. Are you planning on staying for a side match if they have one?

    Will you other shooters need directions to the range? We'll likely use the Kum and Go at 13 and 32 as a rally point again, departure time from there will be 8am sharp. If you're late, you're on your own getting from the station to the range. Of course, if you need directions we'll gladly provide directions, GPS coords, and the address.
    lol well my first match i did good but i had a good share of penalties too. but i not beating myself for it. i mean the procedurals i got were not from me breaking rules i knew of. they were penalties i broke that i didnt know of rule. so oh well i learned from them.

    as far as the side match, it just kinda depends on how late it goes, and how hot it is. and weither its a shotgun or combat rifle. since i dont have a shot gun, i obviously wont be staying for a shotgun match:P.

  14. #14
    Accomplished Advocate
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    1,924
    Glad to hear it was a good time.

    I have watched it a lot on outdoor tv in years past and it looks fun. Some of those guys are off the chain fast like Lathem. I would most likely try and do what you said and concentrate on hitting the target and not falling over my own feet.

    I am getting into better shape as part of my bug out plan so those might not be so tough for an old fart lol!!

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Kansas city, Kansas United States
    Posts
    334
    yah thats what i did, there is 4 scenerios. the first one i ever did i went a bit slower and concentrated on the targets etc. by the end i felt like comfortable and picked my pace up. one of the hardest things about it is going to fast sometimes, and you start missing rules. like you cant drop a mag that has a round in it.

    if you ever decide to do one LMTD, there one in houston missouri, big piney sportsman club, they do one also. and whats neat about that one is. that you can rerun threw it if you want. and its like 10 bucks the first run and 5 the next time i believe. they also have a 2 gun( combat rifle and pistol) that i be interested in trying. even with my heavy ass bull barrel ar15. but houston missouri still a good drive for you( i think someone told me its like 2.5 hours) but if you ever go, i show up. i been wanting to do it, but not very motivated to do the drive with only me going. i find it also fun knowing others. and they have a 800 yard( mabye meters but i believe it said yards) range you could try out your long distance shooting you wanted to do with your ar15. hell i havent used mine yet to learn the elevation for it, but i wouldnt mind trying 400-600 yards.

    but there prob a closer one to you then that one, i just never looked for one up in st louis area obviously since i dont live up there:P

  16. #16
    Regular Member afcarry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Southeast of KC Mossouri
    Posts
    206
    ok im coming. ill need directions to the meet point.
    An individual should not choose the caliber, cartridge, and bullet that will kill an an animal when everything is right; rather, he should choose ones that will kill the most efficiently when everything goes wrong

  17. #17
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Mo.
    Posts
    279
    Quote Originally Posted by afcarry View Post
    ok im coming. ill need directions to the meet point.
    Directions from where? Most of the directions we'll have will be from the Springfield departure, so I need to know where you'll be coming from so I know if you will need directions coming through Bolivar or through Stockton.

    Once you've found it the first time (thanks to goalseter for being the directional guinea pig on his first match), the range is really easy to find.
    Last edited by heresyourdipstickjimmy; 08-28-2010 at 04:15 PM.

  18. #18
    Accomplished Advocate
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    1,924
    Quote Originally Posted by goalseter88 View Post
    i been wanting to do it, but not very motivated to do the drive with only me going. i find it also fun knowing others. and they have a 800 yard( mabye meters but i believe it said yards) range you could try out your long distance shooting you wanted to do with your ar15. hell i havent used mine yet to learn the elevation for it, but i wouldnt mind trying 400-600 yards.

    but there prob a closer one to you then that one, i just never looked for one up in st louis area obviously since i dont live up there:P
    I have too little patience to wait for that, I am going to a long distance range for a couple of hours tomorrow and then have to do stuff with the dear girl friend. I already dumped the red dot, not the right toy for me. It is likely just too many years of iron sights or the standard rifle scope to make the adjustment. At 65 yards I could not see the targets on an 8x11 sheet of paper let alone which one the red dot was on! I can see where the extremely fast acquisition has advantages and hitting a person sized target at 100-200 yards would be very doable, trying to hit dime sized circles with it was impossible, but with the scoped one I was able to maintain 1" groups at 75 yards and hit a dead center without much effort.

    I put a truglow on the red dot and will see if amazon will take the red dot back, if not I will either find someone that wants a cheap one or toss it, it really has no value to me other than looking cool. Needless to say I am a little disappointed in that aspect.

    As far as Huston goes, I really did not pay a lot of attention to where it was located as it was more of a "springfield" thing, but it is not too far from Potosi Mo and you can see on a google map that in between there and Houston is MTNF and I go camping and wheeling in MTNF a lot and will be again at least twice this year. Our group tends to get a bit more radical than the off road parks allows and tied to a shooting trip as well would be like icing on the cake.
    Last edited by LMTD; 08-28-2010 at 06:54 PM. Reason: Forgot some stuff

  19. #19
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Kansas city, Kansas United States
    Posts
    334
    so is anyone wanting to meet at the gas station in bolivar on 32 to follow behind/carpool to the range? if not i prob just go straight there if no one replies that they want to follow behind.

  20. #20
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Mo.
    Posts
    279
    I'll likely be there and depart by 8. I hate for folks to miss out on meeting up and caravan out, but that's an individual preference.

    Did you ever get your firearm situation resolved? If you need the other 34 the offer is still open for you to use it for the match. I have plenty of mags, holster, and mag holder to get you rolling.

  21. #21
    Regular Member afcarry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Southeast of KC Mossouri
    Posts
    206
    okay so 13&32 zero eight hundred the 4th for a caravan. Ill be there. Thanks guys.
    An individual should not choose the caliber, cartridge, and bullet that will kill an an animal when everything is right; rather, he should choose ones that will kill the most efficiently when everything goes wrong

  22. #22
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Kansas city, Kansas United States
    Posts
    334
    Quote Originally Posted by heresyourdipstickjimmy View Post
    I'll likely be there and depart by 8. I hate for folks to miss out on meeting up and caravan out, but that's an individual preference.

    Did you ever get your firearm situation resolved? If you need the other 34 the offer is still open for you to use it for the match. I have plenty of mags, holster, and mag holder to get you rolling.
    i mean i still got my 40 cal i was planing on using. i really would like to try it out, i just not sure i want to use it on my match, since i not use to it and i prob wont shoot it as well due to the fact. i still trying to see my progression on how i learning, skill improvement. and adding that factor of using a new gun makes it hard for me to see if it i improved or did worse due to skill level or new gun.

    whats your opionion on it? i try to think about it and give you an answer by tommorow after i put a bit more thought into it, and see what you think about it.

    if i dont use it for the match, mabye sometime we could go to the range and shoot. i trying to get a ar15 group going, mabye if you like to join up when we go, we could try it then or something.

  23. #23
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Mo.
    Posts
    279
    Quote Originally Posted by afcarry View Post
    okay so 13&32 zero eight hundred the 4th for a caravan. Ill be there. Thanks guys.
    Yes. I'll likely be wearing my safari vest. Look for the guy shaped like a weeble-wobble and oompa-loompa lumped together. Ok, that was a bad mental picture to give you.

    Quote Originally Posted by goalseter88 View Post
    i mean i still got my 40 cal i was planing on using. i really would like to try it out, i just not sure i want to use it on my match, since i not use to it and i prob wont shoot it as well due to the fact. i still trying to see my progression on how i learning, skill improvement. and adding that factor of using a new gun makes it hard for me to see if it i improved or did worse due to skill level or new gun.

    whats your opionion on it? i try to think about it and give you an answer by tommorow after i put a bit more thought into it, and see what you think about it.

    if i dont use it for the match, mabye sometime we could go to the range and shoot. i trying to get a ar15 group going, mabye if you like to join up when we go, we could try it then or something.
    Shoot it or don't. It's not my decision. Just know it will be with me if you decide to. You'd just have to make up your mind upon sign-in as that's what you'd be stuck with the entire match. If this were a classifier I'd say shoot what you're used to, but it's not so I have no real suggestion. Remember, you'll eventually need a non-ported firearm to log scores and/or a classifier and this would be a great opportunity for you to put that into practice without making a purchase...other than 9mm ammo and I have that so you don't have to get it if you don't want to.

    You could wind up shooting well or you could wind up shooting horribly. It's a gamble isn't it.

  24. #24
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Kansas city, Kansas United States
    Posts
    334
    Quote Originally Posted by heresyourdipstickjimmy View Post
    Yes. I'll likely be wearing my safari vest. Look for the guy shaped like a weeble-wobble and oompa-loompa lumped together. Ok, that was a bad mental picture to give you.



    Shoot it or don't. It's not my decision. Just know it will be with me if you decide to. You'd just have to make up your mind upon sign-in as that's what you'd be stuck with the entire match. If this were a classifier I'd say shoot what you're used to, but it's not so I have no real suggestion. Remember, you'll eventually need a non-ported firearm to log scores and/or a classifier and this would be a great opportunity for you to put that into practice without making a purchase...other than 9mm ammo and I have that so you don't have to get it if you don't want to.

    You could wind up shooting well or you could wind up shooting horribly. It's a gamble isn't it.
    yah with that said. i think i going to just shoot my own gun. and your right, it would be a good chance to try it out without having to purchase it. but i wont be able to make the october match. so i going to use my gun. i like to make sure this one goes good so i kinda take a break on a good note. and i have a beter chance on having a good run with my own gun.

  25. #25
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Mo.
    Posts
    279
    Quote Originally Posted by goalseter88 View Post
    yah with that said. i think i going to just shoot my own gun. and your right, it would be a good chance to try it out without having to purchase it. but i wont be able to make the october match. so i going to use my gun. i like to make sure this one goes good so i kinda take a break on a good note. and i have a beter chance on having a good run with my own gun.
    I do not blame you at all. Looks like I'll still have the OD G17SGT as my buyer backed out, so I may be tempted to shoot it Saturday. Have the back-up 34 that needs to be run through still.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •