• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

IDPA match september 4th

goalseter88

I'll likely be there and depart by 8. I hate for folks to miss out on meeting up and caravan out, but that's an individual preference.

Did you ever get your firearm situation resolved? If you need the other 34 the offer is still open for you to use it for the match. I have plenty of mags, holster, and mag holder to get you rolling.

i mean i still got my 40 cal i was planing on using. i really would like to try it out, i just not sure i want to use it on my match, since i not use to it and i prob wont shoot it as well due to the fact. i still trying to see my progression on how i learning, skill improvement. and adding that factor of using a new gun makes it hard for me to see if it i improved or did worse due to skill level or new gun.

whats your opionion on it? i try to think about it and give you an answer by tommorow after i put a bit more thought into it, and see what you think about it.

if i dont use it for the match, mabye sometime we could go to the range and shoot. i trying to get a ar15 group going, mabye if you like to join up when we go, we could try it then or something.

heresyourdipstickjimmy

okay so 13&32 zero eight hundred the 4th for a caravan. Ill be there. Thanks guys.

Yes. I'll likely be wearing my safari vest. Look for the guy shaped like a weeble-wobble and oompa-loompa lumped together. Ok, that was a bad mental picture to give you.

i mean i still got my 40 cal i was planing on using. i really would like to try it out, i just not sure i want to use it on my match, since i not use to it and i prob wont shoot it as well due to the fact. i still trying to see my progression on how i learning, skill improvement. and adding that factor of using a new gun makes it hard for me to see if it i improved or did worse due to skill level or new gun.

whats your opionion on it? i try to think about it and give you an answer by tommorow after i put a bit more thought into it, and see what you think about it.

if i dont use it for the match, mabye sometime we could go to the range and shoot. i trying to get a ar15 group going, mabye if you like to join up when we go, we could try it then or something.

Shoot it or don't. It's not my decision. Just know it will be with me if you decide to. You'd just have to make up your mind upon sign-in as that's what you'd be stuck with the entire match. If this were a classifier I'd say shoot what you're used to, but it's not so I have no real suggestion. Remember, you'll eventually need a non-ported firearm to log scores and/or a classifier and this would be a great opportunity for you to put that into practice without making a purchase...other than 9mm ammo and I have that so you don't have to get it if you don't want to.

You could wind up shooting well or you could wind up shooting horribly. It's a gamble isn't it.

goalseter88

Yes. I'll likely be wearing my safari vest. Look for the guy shaped like a weeble-wobble and oompa-loompa lumped together. Ok, that was a bad mental picture to give you.

Shoot it or don't. It's not my decision. Just know it will be with me if you decide to. You'd just have to make up your mind upon sign-in as that's what you'd be stuck with the entire match. If this were a classifier I'd say shoot what you're used to, but it's not so I have no real suggestion. Remember, you'll eventually need a non-ported firearm to log scores and/or a classifier and this would be a great opportunity for you to put that into practice without making a purchase...other than 9mm ammo and I have that so you don't have to get it if you don't want to.

You could wind up shooting well or you could wind up shooting horribly. It's a gamble isn't it.

yah with that said. i think i going to just shoot my own gun. and your right, it would be a good chance to try it out without having to purchase it. but i wont be able to make the october match. so i going to use my gun. i like to make sure this one goes good so i kinda take a break on a good note. and i have a beter chance on having a good run with my own gun.

heresyourdipstickjimmy

yah with that said. i think i going to just shoot my own gun. and your right, it would be a good chance to try it out without having to purchase it. but i wont be able to make the october match. so i going to use my gun. i like to make sure this one goes good so i kinda take a break on a good note. and i have a beter chance on having a good run with my own gun.

I do not blame you at all. Looks like I'll still have the OD G17SGT as my buyer backed out, so I may be tempted to shoot it Saturday. Have the back-up 34 that needs to be run through still.

heresyourdipstickjimmy

Gear needs?

Those of you who decided to go, do you have any last minute gear needs or concerns?

I'm a Glock shooter, so know that I cannot help you much if you're an XD shooter.

goalseter88

well we had several people show up, it was very fun. i improved my score. was 14th place this time. i worked on my speed. but it hurt me somewhat overall. but i overlooked a couple things due to going fast. i expected to go back in ranking, due to penalties i got from rushing, but i didnt.

well i wont be able to make the october match. but hope we keep geting more people to go. we had pratically a whole group of just people from this site, missouricarry.com, and some from my OC/ccw facebook page.

i

LMTD

Accomplished Advocate
well i wont be able to make the october match. but hope we keep geting more people to go. we had pratically a whole group of just people from this site, missouricarry.com, and some from my OC/ccw facebook page.

i

Old fart recommendation, the freakin turtle won!

Hitting every target ad having 0 penalties how would you have done? I am not being critical it is the old bull young bull story over and over.

heresyourdipstickjimmy

well we had several people show up, it was very fun. i improved my score. was 14th place this time. i worked on my speed. but it hurt me somewhat overall. but i overlooked a couple things due to going fast. i expected to go back in ranking, due to penalties i got from rushing, but i didnt.

i

Old fart recommendation, the freakin turtle won!

Hitting every target ad having 0 penalties how would you have done? I am not being critical it is the old bull young bull story over and over.

He and I both know that shooting clean protects our times and that should be the priority, to shoot clean. Time comes on its own in some courses of fire, but in others you simply have to push the envelope to get there. Great job with your times by the way! Did you see some of the others and how well one particular person performed even though there were physical limitations that day?

I made the mistake of letting myself point shoot (bad idea, even at just 7-10 feet) instead of working my sights (did this on a couple of stages and paid the price). However the one stage I decided to make a "run" on I actually shot clean and received a good time.

The one stage I was super confident on, I wound up with a shot that hit a hostage that was 50% overlapping a threat. I managed to put a round just 1cm into the hostage and got hit with a hostage penalty as well as a miss on the threat...I thought I shot that one clean and clearly did not.

BCT RO's pulled a fast one on shooters this time. Those of us used to seeing the spray painted hands (no-shoot) and the spray painted pistol (threat) were given a 3rd option to look for...a hat (no-shoot). They did this so they could add the ability to relocate the no-shoot target for each shooter as well as get shooters to practice positive target identification to the top instead of just looking center mass.

Remember, we're not shooting for placements at these, unless they say we are. You've got the right attitude, shooting against yourself, so keep up the good work! We're shooting to get times to log to gain entry IDPA regional and national matches. Some folks are just shooting to compete local, but there are quite a few that want in on those higher level shoots. Were you 14 out of the total list or 14 out of your division? (think they still had you in SSP didn't they?)

I'll talk to Rick this week and see if/when he's going to have a Classifier and I'll let you know so you can put one down if you'd like to. It would be great practice for you even if you don't want it to be official. If I can get one set up to practice on somehow/somewhere, I've got a shot timer and I'd be glad to get together and make some classifier practice runs.

Last edited:

Mo

Banned
Sounds like a good time. I'm glad I took the time to read through your thread, Jimmy. I've got a better impression of you now versus the thread about holsters where you seemed so angry. I'd like to go and learn if I lived closer.

I don't have a lot of shooting experience and sometimes being around the well versed makes it seem like swimming with the sharks, but it sounds like you don't have that attitude and that's good, ya know?

Mo

goalseter88

yah i get what LMTD and jimmy are saying. its true that speed will come in time. but what i trying to prevent myself from doing. is staying in my comfort zone. i bad at that at times. where i might do good slower. and wont push my self to go faster in fear of not doing so good. so this time i pushed myself to go a bit faster.

and really i did beter then i did last time( not much but a fraction) i prob cut over half a minute off but i got almost that in penalties. i felt like the time before this, that i wouldnt be able to cut much more time off tehn i did. and this showed me i could. now i just need to be able to cut 20 seconds more off and i be in contention with the first place. and i feel like the penalties i got this time i be prepared for next time.

i just think i need to find a place where i can pratice. i mean b/c i only get to do this once a month and i think if i had some pratice inbetween it would be of great value.

heresyourdipstickjimmy

Sounds like a good time. I'm glad I took the time to read through your thread, Jimmy. I've got a better impression of you now versus the thread about holsters where you seemed so angry. I'd like to go and learn if I lived closer.

I don't have a lot of shooting experience and sometimes being around the well versed makes it seem like swimming with the sharks, but it sounds like you don't have that attitude and that's good, ya know?

Mo

Not a chance Mo! Come out and shoot with us, you'll learn a lot and you'll have a good time. We're all there to improve, learn, and compete with ourselves and others who are game to the competition. You'll quickly find that the well versed shooters there will not push you in any way or try to get you out of a comfort zone. They stress that you should expect to perform poorly at your first match, everyone does as they're learning the rules and focusing on not making mistakes. It's a learn on-the-fly program in my opinion.

I'd be happy to shoot with any newbie that wants to come out and learn IDPA. You might just teach me something in the long run.

You do live quite a ways away. Though it's not an official IDPA match, you can hit Big Piney Sportsman's Club in Houston, Mo when they have their pistol matches. They also have 800 yards of rifle range to play on!
http://www.bigpineysportsmansclub.com/

Here's a list of the clubs that have official IDPA from the website, looks like they are thin out your way:
http://www.idpa.com/clublist.asp?pick=MO

yah i get what LMTD and jimmy are saying. its true that speed will come in time. but what i trying to prevent myself from doing. is staying in my comfort zone. i bad at that at times. where i might do good slower. and wont push my self to go faster in fear of not doing so good. so this time i pushed myself to go a bit faster.

and really i did beter then i did last time( not much but a fraction) i prob cut over half a minute off but i got almost that in penalties. i felt like the time before this, that i wouldnt be able to cut much more time off tehn i did. and this showed me i could. now i just need to be able to cut 20 seconds more off and i be in contention with the first place. and i feel like the penalties i got this time i be prepared for next time.

i just think i need to find a place where i can pratice. i mean b/c i only get to do this once a month and i think if i had some pratice inbetween it would be of great value.

I agree goalseter, a place to practice is important. I'm trying to work that angle for all of us, but feel free to look into it on your end as well if you like. Two brains working on it will be much better than one. Right now, SOF-USA is out of the picture for practicing. We will likely need to find an outdoor location.

You shoot just fine. Your skills are going to develop more and more with every match you participate in. As said above, we've got to find a practice site.

Did you have a chance to investigate if you can do a barrel swap in your XD to be IDPA compliant?

Last edited:

goalseter88

I agree goalseter, a place to practice is important. I'm trying to work that angle for all of us, but feel free to look into it on your end as well if you like. Two brains working on it will be much better than one. Right now, SOF-USA is out of the picture for practicing. We will likely need to find an outdoor location.

You shoot just fine. Your skills are going to develop more and more with every match you participate in. As said above, we've got to find a practice site.

Did you have a chance to investigate if you can do a barrel swap in your XD to be IDPA compliant?

no i havent checked yet. i going to do that tommorow. i just got so much stuff with the wedding. working on a meet and greet for my OC page, and also working on geting a ar15(or other military guns) group formed. lol oh and i should be studding a bit more then i am for my CWI test lol.

and at some point this week i wanted to talk to you and throw an idea past yah, and see if your interested. this thing would also give us somewhere to pratice for the IDPA matches. but i got something to go with more then just praticing. i just cant find enough time.