• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

IDPA match september 4th

Big Boy

So damned far away....

maybe one of these days when the money and the day off jive together.

silo

I really want to get involved in IDPA, but am apprehensive since I don't know how and am worried about shooting in situations outside of, you know, the range or an advanced class. Any suggestions, anyone?

goalseter88

silo, you should come.i can meet you at the kum and go in bolivor, and let you tag behind me to the range. and if your okay with getting there a bit early, it give me a bit of time to go over on some of the rules.

and for your first time, you could just kinda take your time and just shoot at your own pace and get comfortable with it. and next time you can work on the speed after your comfortable with the shooting scenerio.

and side note. they got all skill levels there. they got guys that are good, and they got beginers. i seen people that dont worry about the time and just walk threw the course. and they are all very helpfull. i havent yet met a guy who seemed to be an ass there. some of the range oficers come off that way, but they really arent to bad. the main one that seemed that way at first, actually gave me some tips my first time. i guess its just his tone of voice.

but PM if you got any other questions or would like to meet up before hand etc. but i think you should go, you have a blast. and if you have an combat gun or shot gun. you can bring it for the side match if you enjoy shooting targets with those.

goalseter88

i think you should shoot. i mean if you dont feel comfortable then watching second best. but you wont learn all the rules and what techinques work best till you actually shoot. you would learn more from shooting and just taking your time and not worrying about the time, then you would be by watching.

thats just what i have found out, mabye ask HYRYSC what he thinks, he watched then shot the next time. see if he thought it was worth watching first or if he recomend just going to the shooting.

goalseter88

yah, i think you learn 2x as much just taking your time and going threw it then watching. but its up to you. if you like watching first then do that, i just think you be kicking yourself in the end for not shooting.

silo

Whoa, I didn't realize where Bear Creek was. Apparently you're way down in BFE. A little far for me, unfortunately. I want to try one of them that's up here.. from what I've heard, most are done in Wright City up here, right? I'm from there.

heresyourdipstickjimmy

I really want to get involved in IDPA, but am apprehensive since I don't know how and am worried about shooting in situations outside of, you know, the range or an advanced class. Any suggestions, anyone?

hmmm. Same as above, never shot at one before, so I might watch. But at the least it'll be a nice time to network some.

You both need to come out equipped to shoot. You really might regret just coming to watch. Hate to see you do this: :banghead:

If you can hit a head shot and/or a center mass shot, then you're already on your way. The next step is simple: Follow directions for the course of fire (each stage). No better way to practice situations outside the classroom or range than to go to an event such as this.

You'll get the practical situation with absolutely no pressure to be fast. Go at your own pace, shoot for accuracy and don't worry about your actual time. Your time success will come quickly. Those that focus on time tend to falter with accuracy from time to time. Shot placement is key.

To give you an example from the July 3rd match. The scenarios were set up with 2 for procedure and accuracy then 2 for speed and accuracy. Trust in this, the procedure penalties can rack up in a big hurry. At that shoot, even some of the top times weren't as fast as they could or should have been.

goalsetter came out with the intent to shoot at his first one. Glad he did too, he shot quite well for his first run. He's been to 2 of them now and I honestly think he's permanently hooked. By the way goalsetter, I'm throwing down the gauntlet at the match. I beat myself pretty badly with procedural penalties and I intend to correct that issue this time around. Are you planning on staying for a side match if they have one?

Will you other shooters need directions to the range? We'll likely use the Kum and Go at 13 and 32 as a rally point again, departure time from there will be 8am sharp. If you're late, you're on your own getting from the station to the range. Of course, if you need directions we'll gladly provide directions, GPS coords, and the address.

Last edited:

goalseter88

You both need to come out equipped to shoot. You really might regret just coming to watch. Hate to see you do this: :banghead:

If you can hit a head shot and/or a center mass shot, then you're already on your way. The next step is simple: Follow directions for the course of fire (each stage). No better way to practice situations outside the classroom or range than to go to an event such as this.

You'll get the practical situation with absolutely no pressure to be fast. Go at your own pace, shoot for accuracy and don't worry about your actual time. Your time success will come quickly. Those that focus on time tend to falter with accuracy from time to time. Shot placement is key.

To give you an example from the July 3rd match. The scenarios were set up with 2 for procedure and accuracy then 2 for speed and accuracy. Trust in this, the procedure penalties can rack up in a big hurry. At that shoot, even some of the top times weren't as fast as they could or should have been.

goalsetter came out with the intent to shoot at his first one. Glad he did too, he shot quite well for his first run. He's been to 2 of them now and I honestly think he's permanently hooked. By the way goalsetter, I'm throwing down the gauntlet at the match. I beat myself pretty badly with procedural penalties and I intend to correct that issue this time around. Are you planning on staying for a side match if they have one?

Will you other shooters need directions to the range? We'll likely use the Kum and Go at 13 and 32 as a rally point again, departure time from there will be 8am sharp. If you're late, you're on your own getting from the station to the range. Of course, if you need directions we'll gladly provide directions, GPS coords, and the address.

lol well my first match i did good but i had a good share of penalties too. but i not beating myself for it. i mean the procedurals i got were not from me breaking rules i knew of. they were penalties i broke that i didnt know of rule. so oh well i learned from them.

as far as the side match, it just kinda depends on how late it goes, and how hot it is. and weither its a shotgun or combat rifle. since i dont have a shot gun, i obviously wont be staying for a shotgun match:p.

LMTD

Accomplished Advocate
Glad to hear it was a good time.

I have watched it a lot on outdoor tv in years past and it looks fun. Some of those guys are off the chain fast like Lathem. I would most likely try and do what you said and concentrate on hitting the target and not falling over my own feet.

I am getting into better shape as part of my bug out plan so those might not be so tough for an old fart lol!!

goalseter88

yah thats what i did, there is 4 scenerios. the first one i ever did i went a bit slower and concentrated on the targets etc. by the end i felt like comfortable and picked my pace up. one of the hardest things about it is going to fast sometimes, and you start missing rules. like you cant drop a mag that has a round in it.

if you ever decide to do one LMTD, there one in houston missouri, big piney sportsman club, they do one also. and whats neat about that one is. that you can rerun threw it if you want. and its like 10 bucks the first run and 5 the next time i believe. they also have a 2 gun( combat rifle and pistol) that i be interested in trying. even with my heavy ass bull barrel ar15. but houston missouri still a good drive for you( i think someone told me its like 2.5 hours) but if you ever go, i show up. i been wanting to do it, but not very motivated to do the drive with only me going. i find it also fun knowing others. and they have a 800 yard( mabye meters but i believe it said yards) range you could try out your long distance shooting you wanted to do with your ar15. hell i havent used mine yet to learn the elevation for it, but i wouldnt mind trying 400-600 yards.

but there prob a closer one to you then that one, i just never looked for one up in st louis area obviously since i dont live up there:p

heresyourdipstickjimmy

ok im coming. ill need directions to the meet point.

Directions from where? Most of the directions we'll have will be from the Springfield departure, so I need to know where you'll be coming from so I know if you will need directions coming through Bolivar or through Stockton.

Once you've found it the first time (thanks to goalseter for being the directional guinea pig on his first match), the range is really easy to find.

Last edited:

LMTD

Accomplished Advocate
i been wanting to do it, but not very motivated to do the drive with only me going. i find it also fun knowing others. and they have a 800 yard( mabye meters but i believe it said yards) range you could try out your long distance shooting you wanted to do with your ar15. hell i havent used mine yet to learn the elevation for it, but i wouldnt mind trying 400-600 yards.

but there prob a closer one to you then that one, i just never looked for one up in st louis area obviously since i dont live up there:p

I have too little patience to wait for that, I am going to a long distance range for a couple of hours tomorrow and then have to do stuff with the dear girl friend. I already dumped the red dot, not the right toy for me. It is likely just too many years of iron sights or the standard rifle scope to make the adjustment. At 65 yards I could not see the targets on an 8x11 sheet of paper let alone which one the red dot was on! I can see where the extremely fast acquisition has advantages and hitting a person sized target at 100-200 yards would be very doable, trying to hit dime sized circles with it was impossible, but with the scoped one I was able to maintain 1" groups at 75 yards and hit a dead center without much effort.

I put a truglow on the red dot and will see if amazon will take the red dot back, if not I will either find someone that wants a cheap one or toss it, it really has no value to me other than looking cool. Needless to say I am a little disappointed in that aspect.

As far as Huston goes, I really did not pay a lot of attention to where it was located as it was more of a "springfield" thing, but it is not too far from Potosi Mo and you can see on a google map that in between there and Houston is MTNF and I go camping and wheeling in MTNF a lot and will be again at least twice this year. Our group tends to get a bit more radical than the off road parks allows and tied to a shooting trip as well would be like icing on the cake.

Last edited:

heresyourdipstickjimmy

I'll likely be there and depart by 8. I hate for folks to miss out on meeting up and caravan out, but that's an individual preference.

Did you ever get your firearm situation resolved? If you need the other 34 the offer is still open for you to use it for the match. I have plenty of mags, holster, and mag holder to get you rolling.