• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

How soon must you report a homicide?

Trigger Dr

There is a lot more to it that one would think. The totality of the circumstances and how the evidence (believe me, there will be lots of evidence) is interpreted. The old who, what, where, when, why and how are only a starting point for the investigation.

killchain

Leave without delay.

Immediately call your lawyer, then immediately call the police.

I would much rather have my lawyer know before hand that he needs to come see me at the PD than waiting for the police to give me permission to call him.

And this is coming from a pro-cop guy. Just sayin.' :p

Metalhead47

Nothing I post here should be taken as legal advice.

I'm just asking a question and discussing a hypothetical.

Basically, I'm asking why anyone who successfully defended himself against and killed an attacker, way back in the woods, where nobody saw anything--that's the hypothetical scenario--would say anything about it, to anyone, ever, unless it was a privileged conversation with a lawyer, psychiatrist, priest, spouse, etc. There may be reasons I haven't thought of.

Because it will ALWAYs get traced back! No one would ever "get away" with something like that, don't you watch CSI? They always manage to figure it out in less than an hour too! :p

Would have catastrophic consequences if it did come back on someone, and probably catastrophic consequences for you as well, if you actually did give that as legal advice. ;)

Begs the question tho, would it be better to call one's lawyer FIRST have have the lawyer contact the authorities (therefore not "confessing" to homicide)?

devildoc5

Basically, I'm asking why anyone who successfully defended himself against and killed an attacker, way back in the woods, where nobody saw anything--that's the hypothetical scenario--would say anything about it, to anyone, ever, unless it was a privileged conversation with a lawyer, psychiatrist, priest, spouse, etc. There may be reasons I haven't thought of.

Because, unless things have changed in the last few years since I have been out of the medical community. All conversations with a psychiatrist that involve possible past present or future harm to anyone, including yourself, are required to be reported to LEO as soon as possible by the psychiatrist.

As far as convos with lawyers go I am not sure as they tend to be a decietful bunch anyways...:) (lol olypendrew)

olypendrew

Because it will ALWAYs get traced back! No one would ever "get away" with something like that, don't you watch CSI? They always manage to figure it out in less than an hour too! :p

Would have catastrophic consequences if it did come back on someone, and probably catastrophic consequences for you as well, if you actually did give that as legal advice. ;)

Begs the question tho, would it be better to call one's lawyer FIRST have have the lawyer contact the authorities (therefore not "confessing" to homicide)?

What do you see as the catastrophic consequences of exercising the right to remain silent?

Metalhead47

What do you see as the catastrophic consequences of exercising the right to remain silent?

Ok so ya just shot a dude, right? Then you tamper with evidence/crime scene (removing shell casings), and don't report it. No one's around, right? Except maybe the hunter's game camera hidden in a bush that caught the whole thing, but from the wrong angle... or the guy's not quite dead... and the hikers a few hundred yards off who heard the gunshots come to investigate, they call the medics with their lil sat phone/local beacon thingy, maybe the badguy survives.... or maybe once someone random comes along and finds the dude, calls it in, they put Gil Grissom on the case, so now your ass is really grass ;)

Yeah man I'm playing devils advocate here. Saying nothing is bad, trying to cover it up even worse... and even if you NEVER get caught... you have to live the rest of your life with that little seed of "what if" in the back of your head... every time someone knocks on the door, every time a cop looks your way, tickles that lil seed... that kinda thing could drive a man mad.

jt59

Sounds like the beginning of a good movie story...oh, wait.

Deliverance.....

What is the rationale behind telling the police that you shot someone in self-defense, assuming there is no other way to link you to the crime? Wouldn't it be better to pick up your shell casing(s), and get out of Dodge, and STFU?

olypendrew

Ok so ya just shot a dude, right? Then you tamper with evidence/crime scene (removing shell casings), and don't report it. No one's around, right? Except maybe the hunter's game camera hidden in a bush that caught the whole thing, but from the wrong angle... or the guy's not quite dead... and the hikers a few hundred yards off who heard the gunshots come to investigate, they call the medics with their lil sat phone/local beacon thingy, maybe the badguy survives.... or maybe once someone random comes along and finds the dude, calls it in, they put Gil Grissom on the case, so now your ass is really grass ;)

Yeah man I'm playing devils advocate here. Saying nothing is bad, trying to cover it up even worse... and even if you NEVER get caught... you have to live the rest of your life with that little seed of "what if" in the back of your head... every time someone knocks on the door, every time a cop looks your way, tickles that lil seed... that kinda thing could drive a man mad.

Now you're expanding the hypothetical. I thought we were assuming, for the sake of discussion, that there was no witnesses or other evidence to identify who the shooter was.

Metalhead47

Now you're expanding the hypothetical. I thought we were assuming, for the sake of discussion, that there was no witnesses or other evidence to identify who the shooter was.

Modern forensics & 30 year old cases suddenly solved have shown there's always evidence:D

I know we're hypothetical here, but do ya really think a "normal person" who just shot someone, is going to have the wherewithal in the moment to analyze evidence?

Gray Peterson

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Not trying to sell a product here....

I am part of the Armed Citizen's Legal Defense Network for this reason. In this circumstance, I would call the folks at ACLDN first. This isn't a city situation where the "first call to 911 wins" scenario occurs. The whole "What if the other side calls the police first" does not at all apply here. When you call, you let them know you had a self defense situation (do not go into detail), they will contact one of their network attorneys and then said attorney will call you directly, at that point it's a privileged communication.

You let the attorney figure out the best way to deal with this situation. That is what they are there for.

TechnoWeenie

"Pan-Pan, Pan-Pan, Pan-Pan, any station, (your call sign) has priority traffic."

If\when you get a response, request the other ham radio station relay to the sheriff for whatever county you're in.

Damn french!

AFAIK, marine terminology doesn't extend (officially) to amateur radio...

Securite and pan-pan are not recognized, and probably won't elicit a response. Requesting an emergency autopatch would probably be more effective.

TechnoWeenie

This brings up another good point.

How many folks know about the "SPOT" satellite communicator?

It's a small device used to track your movements anywhere on the globe.

It has an "OK" button, "Help" button, and 911 button.

Units are usually around $150 and during a promotion, the first year of service ($99) is free.

On the Two Wheeled Texans forum, one of our members just used his SPOT this week when he went down while riding the backroads of New Mexico. He broke some ribs and couldn't pick his bike up. If not for his SPOT, he may have perished.

http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50620&highlight=SPOT

EPIRBs are cheaper, and monitored by state and federal authorities.

arentol

What is the rationale behind telling the police that you shot someone in self-defense, assuming there is no other way to link you to the crime? Wouldn't it be better to pick up your shell casing(s), and get out of Dodge, and STFU?

In such a situation the first mistake is right there in your own statement... "ASSUMING".

You would have to make a LOT of assumptions about there being no evidence to trace back to you to get out of such a situation without getting caught. And if you are caught claims of self defense will no longer work because you didn't report it.

It could be as simple as someone remembering the make and color of your car at the trail head + your stop for gas on the way to the trail while OC'ing (or not) to put you at the top of the list of suspects.

TechnoWeenie

Is that the radio you hike with Mainsail? Can you provide more info on it?

There's a ton of different options. I run commercial equipment, some use amateur.

Basically, rx from 500khz to 1.3Ghz and transmits on 50-54,144-148, 220, and 430-450 mhz.

supports APRS (gps tracking),AM,FM,SSB, etc etc.

(at least the model he carries)

yaesu_vx_2d8r_small.jpg

Basic vhf radios can be had for less than $100, all the way up to a well equipped unit like his, which runs around 500$ with the accessories...

I primarily run an Ericsson M-RK... which is single band.

12588.jpg

I Also have an Astro Saber IIR which is waterproof, drop proof, etc and is used by navy seals (they are NOT cheap). It's also capable of digital operation, encryption, etc etc..

ant3.jpg

fight4your_rights

The Yaesu VX-6R is a damn good radio. I can hit several repeaters with it but typically I'll use my mobile to crossband repeat the handheld unit. This conserves HT batteries and would utilize full transmit power and the big antenna on the mobile rig.

2M (144Mhz) and 70cm (440mHz) is popular in the Puget Sound area and even monitored by regional dispatch, so you could conceivably contact dispatch directly if the need arises. You can also utilize a phone patch via HAM radio if those particular sites are within range.

Mainsail

Is that the radio you hike with Mainsail? Can you provide more info on it?

No, I posted the pic of that radio to show how small they can be. I use the one Techno posted, the Yaesu VX-8DR.

EDIT to add: I had mine professionally modded to open up the transmit. I can now transmit on MURS and FRS/GMRS, or even on some police freqs- in addition to the ones listed above.

Last edited:

Dave Workman

Well, lessee...the reasons you haven't thought of might include:

prison food
incarceration
showers with Mongo
obstruction of justice

Don't ever think that you can't get caught if there are no witnesses, even if you committed no crime. Scouring a crime scene so you don't have to face a potential problem is a crime, isn't it?