• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Quick CCW Question

trooper46

greetings from Russia,

I'll be coming back to the U.S and Kentucky in a few weeks and am going to apply for my CCW (make it easier for when going across the river) I already took the class before I left, have the certificate and all. I was wondering how they determine state residency at the time of application. I only recently changed my driver's license a few months ago from OH to KY because I was car pooling with a friend to UC for a while. But I have lived in KY for a year and half. Do I need to bring a copy of my dated apartment lease as proof or do they just have me sign something saying I've lived here for so long?

neuroblades

According to KRS, you must be a resident of the Commonwealth of Kentucky for at least 6 months before being able to apply for a CCDW in Kentucky.

I'd cite KRS but I'm short on time here, running late for work. I'm sure that one of the other guys will have that closer at hand than I do. I'll check back later this evening and if it's not be posted, I'll look for it or if you get the chance just Google for "KRS+CCDW" and then read through them.

Off the cuff, I think might be KRS 237.110.

Last edited:

langzaiguy

If the authorities even take the time to verify your residency, your lease or mortgage papers should suffice.

neuroblades

According to the way the CCDW class and paperwork is run, I'd guess it's verified via your Kentucky driver's license. I'd guess it's no difference from those of us that have been residence for most of our lives. So get that driver's license as soon as you move here and then in 180 days go for it. :)

langzaiguy

I don't know, I'd have to disagree. Where does the CCDW program mention a driver's license? What about those who don't drive or choose not to get an ID? I'm pretty sure a wide variety of methods could prove residency.

trooper46

Sorry if I was a bit unclear. We have lived in KY for a year and a half. I'm just studying abroad for a few months. I only changed my drivers license a few months ago because I used to car pool, so I never really felt a need to change it since I didn't drive much any how. I figured the apartment lease papers or my rent receipts would be proof enough.

neuroblades

I don't know, I'd have to disagree. Where does the CCDW program mention a driver's license? What about those who don't drive or choose not to get an ID? I'm pretty sure a wide variety of methods could prove residency.

OK, that very well could be but that was the ONLY piece of ID that was ever used in all of my processing. I'm not saying that that's the only one they would consider but it was all that was asked for.

langzaiguy

Was your license used just to verify who you were, or were they really trying to figure out your residency? For me, it was just the former. Not trying to be argumentative, I'm honestly trying to figure it out.

neuroblades

Was your license used just to verify who you were, or were they really trying to figure out your residency? For me, it was just the former. Not trying to be argumentative, I'm honestly trying to figure it out.

Same here Langzaiguy, I assumed that when asked for my DL, they were both verifying my ID and residency. But I don't know really.

Granted, they could verify where we live via the background checks.

trooper46

Thanks for the info guys. I'll just go ahead and bring some extra documents along when I go to apply. Will let you know if anything hinky happens once I get back to the states. 3 more weeks...dont know who I'll want to hold first, my wife or my guns lol.

thanks again for the input

neuroblades

Thanks for the info guys. I'll just go ahead and bring some extra documents along when I go to apply. Will let you know if anything hinky happens once I get back to the states. 3 more weeks...dont know who I'll want to hold first, my wife or my guns lol.

thanks again for the input

When you walk in the door, hold whoever is there first! *LOL*

Or you could grab a gun and hold it in one hand and the gal in the other! *LMBO*

trooper46

When you walk in the door, hold whoever is there first! *LOL*

Or you could grab a gun and hold it in one hand and the gal in the other! *LMBO*

Lol ! If I did, both my wife and maybe the neighbors might get the wrong impression (think I'm taking her hostage).........well I guess the wife wouldn't be too surprised knowing me. I think I'm gonna OC at a good barbecue restaurant first night back I think.

TWeatherford

I applied for my KY CCW permit a few days ago. I had also changed my drivers license that very same day, so the date of issue for it was that same day. The person taking my paperwork said that before I receive my license I would need to provide some proof that I've lived here at least 6 months (which I have). She said pretty much anything with a date, an address in KY and my name on it would work. She mentioned my vehicle's title, which I said would work for me. I imagine a lease would work as well, or any number of other documents you might have like a utility bill etc. My sheriffs office seemed reasonable in this regard, hopefully yours is as well. They didn't have to have it that day, either, I just need to bring it when I pick up my permit.

neuroblades

Lol ! If I did, both my wife and maybe the neighbors might get the wrong impression (think I'm taking her hostage).........well I guess the wife wouldn't be too surprised knowing me. I think I'm gonna OC at a good barbecue restaurant first night back I think.

Barbecue? Sounds tasty to me. *LOL* BTW, just curious, what's your carry sidearm of choice?

trooper46

Barbecue? Sounds tasty to me. *LOL* BTW, just curious, what's your carry sidearm of choice?

I carry an Italian Beretta 92fs . Sort of an army commissioning present from my wife. She knows how to keep me around. Its a little heavy, but its reliable and good for a show of force. I'm only getting the CCW so when I go across the river I don't have to worry about that stupid magazine law.

Last edited:

neuroblades

Be careful of the stupid "carrying in the car" laws in Ohio, they can be tricky. Us Ky. boys aren't to smart so we keep our laws simple. Ohio laws often confuse us. Good luck and thanks for your service to us.

OK, you got my curiousity up. What exactly are the Ohio laws about carr carry and magazine size?

I carry into WV from time to time. According to my research CC is legal and supposedly OC is as well but I don't risk being caught out KY OC'ing. Supposedly it's legal to OV in WV but it's not looked upon too well.

Last edited:

hotrod

OK, you got my curiousity up. What exactly are the Ohio laws about carr carry and magazine size?

I carry into WV from time to time. According to my research CC is legal and supposedly OC is as well but I don't risk being caught out KY OC'ing. Supposedly it's legal to OV in WV but it's not looked upon too well.

Car carry is only with a concealed license or permit and you must carry in a holster, glovebox, other closeable compartment or cased. The case must have a latch, zipper, etc.. There are no conditions on magazine size. Ohio has a good preemption clause. Also when stopped for a legal purpose (whatever the hell that means) you must identify that you have a concealed license and you are carrying. If you are not carrying you are not required to disclose you have a license or permit (though some LEO believe you do).

trooper46

Car carry is only with a concealed license or permit and you must carry in a holster, glovebox, other closeable compartment or cased. The case must have a latch, zipper, etc.. There are no conditions on magazine size. Ohio has a good preemption clause. Also when stopped for a legal purpose (whatever the hell that means) you must identify that you have a concealed license and you are carrying. If you are not carrying you are not required to disclose you have a license or permit (though some LEO believe you do).

It's only thing that's kept me from carrying across the river...well that and the whole restaurant deal. In order to follow the law, I would have to get out of the vehicle, load each round into the clip, and then load and chamber a round in the firearm in order to OC. lol Do you know how freakin suspicious that would look in downtown Cincy? I'd get shot by one of the cowboys before I loaded one. That or they would somehow try to claim that loading the weapon in public was in effect brandishing or some other bs charge. I'll just have to wait.

Mark my words, as soon as I get the flash pack in the mail they'll probably change the vehicle law. I wish Ohio would catch up.

Last edited:

trooper46

So, both a checks cleared 2 weeks ago and going into week 6 since I went to the sheriff's office. Any idea how much longer till I get that notice? Can't wait!