• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Need some help from my Neighbors in WI

Wisconsin Carry Inc. - Chairman

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
If the "out of reach" side of the debate believe that the "locked steel box" is a good idea, then why? Steel box or not, if you believe the gun has to be "out of reach" in the vehicle then there's a violation whenever the person is within arm's reach of the locked steel box just as surely as there is a violation with the gun in the gun case next to you. Apparently, to that group, a gun in a locked case in a steel box in a sealed vault encased in concrete surrounded by chains and wrapped with bright paper with a bow on top is a violation if you are next to it. If you want to believe that, fine. Don't travel with your guns.

Indeed. How would someone with a smart car transport a gun? Anywhere in that vehicle is within reach. How would someone with an SUV transport a gun? If they have back seat passengers, a gun in the cargo area is EASILY within reach. Its impossible to comply with.

minuteman

Indeed. How would someone with a smart car transport a gun? Anywhere in that vehicle is within reach. How would someone with an SUV transport a gun? If they have back seat passengers, a gun in the cargo area is EASILY within reach. Its impossible to comply with.

Yep and how about an ATV, snowmobile, small boat, small plane or helicopter?

I really believe that if a gun is unloaded and in a proper case, it is neither hidden or within reach. The law does state that a dangerous weapon can be an unloaded gun, but it also does not say that a cased gun is within someones reach or hidden.

So legally what is a hidden gun? What is technically within reach? I think it would have to be uncased, hidden, and within reach to be a violation of the law. I am not sure why this is debated so much here honestly.

Have we ever seen a case where someone was charged with carrying a concealed weapon when its unloaded and properly cased?

Wisconsin Carry Inc. - Chairman

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
Have we ever seen a case where someone was charged with carrying a concealed weapon when its unloaded and properly cased?

Thats not how I would ask the question. I would ask the question "Have we ever seen a case where someone was charged with carrying a concealed weapon when it unloaded and properly cased AND they were not in the act of ANY criminal activity."

Last edited:

jamesisel

"Out of reach" -- meaning not within arm's distance-- while unloaded and encased in a vehicle in WI is a myth that has many believers. An encased gun IS out of reach, because there is a case preventing you from touching the firearm. It has been much discussed here and is regarded as controversial. Much ado about nothing in my opinion.

I agree.

xenophon

"Out of reach" -- meaning not within arm's distance-- while unloaded and encased in a vehicle in WI is a myth that has many believers. An encased gun IS out of reach, because there is a case preventing you from touching the firearm. It has been much discussed here and is regarded as controversial. Much ado about nothing in my opinion.

So a glove compartment is "out of reach"? I thought that was part of case law notes.

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
So a glove compartment is "out of reach"? I thought that was part of case law notes.

A glove compartment does not meet the definition of "encased:"

“Encased” means enclosed in a case that is expressly made for the purpose of containing a firearm and that is completely zipped, snapped, buckled, tied or otherwise fastened with no part of the firearm exposed."

... because it is not "expressly made for the purpose of containing a firearm." Rather, it is made expressly for the purpose of containing "gloves" arguably, and all that other crap that accumulates in a vehicle (cigarettes, maps, flashlight, registration, pens and pencils, those outdated condoms, Slim Whitman CD's and tapes, ammo, parking tickets, gas receipts, etc.)

[See Ch. 167.31(1)(b)]