• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Carry gun for the wife?

daddy4count

Opinions please?

My wife is discussing what kind of gun she wants to get. This is a big step for her. Until recently she has always talked about getting one "someday" but now she is actually thinking about what kind to get.

She digs my XD-45 but it is a little bit too large for her hands. Also, after shooting 50 or 60 rounds it starts to hurt her hand and can even leave a bruise!

She is small, 5 ft 2 and has a hard time finding blue jeans small enough so gun size is a consideration.

She will not be carrying as often as I do. We will get her a WA state CPL but she will likely OC on occasion too. Primarily this will be for range use and her defense when I am not around... or in the woods when we hike and backpack.

It also needs to be a simple gun... simple operation and simple cleaning, maintenance, etc.

So I am thinking revolver? Form and function, easy cleaning, simple operation, small frame with the ability to hurl lead like the bigger players.

I also want her to have some knock down power but not so much that she cannot control it... so I am thinking .357

Here is where the fun begins...

6-inch is too much barrel for her but I think 2-inch is too little?

Light weight frames are nice, but they kick like a mule so the felt recoil is going to be right up there with my .45 - well not exactly but still not fun to shoot 100 times in an afternoon, right?

Ruger? S&W? Taurus?

Hammerless?

I know she needs to get her hands on some, and we will. Probably head to Champion or Wades and break out the .357 selection, let her play to her hearts content. But since I know a few folks who are well versed on the subject... why not posit the question to them?

:)

Trekker

Revolver is a good choice... .357mag might have too much recoil for your wife. Although, you could fire .38 special for less recoil. I think a nice choice would be a hammerless revolver, like a S&W or perhaps Ruger LCR in .38 - shot placement and overall controll would likely be better.

daddy4count

This is what I am thinking...

She can use .38SPL for plinking, range time and fun. Put a couple dozen .357 through it to "stay in shape"

The LCR's look really small and light... I'm worried about recoil there. Personally I like the beefier looking revolvers with heavy steel cylinders and bullish barrels... but her opinions will matter too, I guess.

The hard part I think will come with barrel size. Big enough to absorb recoil, small enough to not weigh like an anchor...

The Wolfhound

The LCR is not for the recoil sensitive shooter. Consider a 3 inch Ruger (SP 101?) as an option. Heavier is better for shooting, lighter is better for carrying. Still gives the option of .38 or .357. You are passing up lots of good autoloaders....... Get her to the gun shop and let her feel for her choice.

daddy4count

You are passing up lots of good autoloaders.......
I agree... and personally I prefer carrying semi auto vs. revolver. But in her case I think simplicity is the order of the day. She can shoot anything, but her personal gun needs to be simple to operate and maintain... just breaking down for cleaning a semi auto will turn her off. She thinks I'm a bit of a nut the way I clean my XD.

I like the 101 option, I was looking at those and a 3" is a great compromise between big and small.

Like you said though, she needs to get her hands on several and decide for herself.

In the end we will likely buy a used revolver so it may depend on availability there as well...

G20-IWB24/7

Have her look at/shoot the 9mm offerings from Kahr. The steel framed K9 is just about the perfect size for small hands, and still feels like a 'real gun.' They shoot wonderfully and have great reliability and simple operation. My wife likes the K9 or one of my G19's. No levers or do-hickeys to deal with, just a mag release, slide stop and trigger (all of which have one single purpose each, fairly easy to master).

For wheelguns, I agree, a Ruger SP101 in 3" .357 or a reasonable facimile (S&W 60 3", etc...) would be a good option. Lighting off .357's in those is not a comfortable experience, so pushing her in that direction too soon will be to your disadvantage. But .38spl range ammo and even 38+P defense ammo is a great combination with the smaller .357's. You can always suggest the .357 loads once she gets comfortable and asks for them.

daddy4count

Good points...

THIS JUST IN:

"I like the gun Ziva carries on NCIS. What kind is that?"

So she favors the look of the .40SW Sig... or at least the look of it in the hands of a good looking, Latino actress.

The last time I had to clean a Sig it was a bit of a chore. Though at the time I still shot a 1911, which aren't exactly simple to break down. Am I mis-remembering that the Sig requires a tool to disassemble?

Where my Sig folks at?

Obviously we're talking more complex than a wheel gun. Though with the Sig she may be more apt to carry it more often..?

Is liking a TV show a good reason to choose a firearm? (Not that you can ever go wrong with Sig Sauer)

G20-IWB24/7

The Sig's do not require a tool to be disassembled. Just a flip of the takedown lever when at slide-lock.

The gun she's talking about on NCIS is a P229 (which tend to have a fairly wide grip, as they are double-stack.) You might have her look at the P239, which is similar to the wider gun, but has a single stack (thin) grip. I've had a P239 in the past, and it was a great shooter and easy to operate with my small hands. The 239 is available in 9mm (8+1 capacity), .357 Sig, or .40S&W (7+1 cap.).

daddy4count

Sweet!

Not sure why I remember needing a tool to break it down... but many, many moons have passed. I wonder which gun that was..?

Good advice on the 229 / 239

I'm not sure the double stack will be an issue, but we'll know after she puts one in her hands. She likes the feel of my XD... just not the bruised hand that comes from long afternoons of shooting it.

I thought originally about having her play with my buddy's .45 Sig... see if the gun makes much difference. It would be handy to keep the family in a single caliber.

I will have to at least let her break his down for cleaning so she knows what she is in for.

irish52084

If she likes the feel of the xd, what about a compact xd in 9mm 0r 40sw? They're simple to operate, take down and clean. plus you get more firepower than a 38 special and more capacity than a wheel gun. Lots of great simple semi-auto pistols out there. In the end it all comes down to what she likes. The sig p239 was a good suggestion.

Polymer guns seem to do a little better at absorbing felt recoil, but that is subjective. I think revolvers are often viewed as reliable and simple, but many people detest the grips/grip angle and their ergonomics are not exactly amazing. I know I was in the market for a S&W J frame about 2 years ago and eventually bought an XD sub compact in 40S&W for increased capacity, firepower, sights, comfort and ergonomics.

Lots of things to think about when buying a new gun. there are so many great pistols out there right now it can be overwhelming to make a choice.

NMBill

Tried the Ruger LCR...

...for my wife. Even standard range ammo made it more than she wanted to handle. The recoil hurt her hand. She always did fine with my XDm 3.8 9mm, so she ended up with a 9mm XD Subcompact and loves it. Recoil is pretty much nonexistent. The woman next door and the woman across the road both tried it out both have since bought their own. (I have considered picking one up for me, as it fits my XDm holsters and is much more concealable.)

We went the revolver route originally, because the wife felt she couldn't rack the slide on a semi-auto. Once I showed her how to hold the slide and punch forward with the grip and she realized the slide wouldn't "bite" her (or break a nail), she became an old hand at running a semi-auto.

The LCR didn't go to waste. I carry it regularly and have gotten pretty accurate at gunfighting distances. Have been testing out various +P loads recently and have found that, though they make the gun even livlier, the accuracy has improved over standard loads. Or, maybe my more serious grip is resulting in better shooting. Love the DAO trigger on the LCR.

Gray Rider

Our compromise

S&W 3" model 60. Small and light enough to carry; large and heavy enough to shoot . Practice with mostly .38 standard pressure ammo; finish with a few .38 +P carry rounds.

Last edited:

Dreamer

The Sig 229 (or ANY Sig for that matter) is an excellent gun--reliable, well-built, and accurate. They are also rather pricey...

BTW, the "Ziva David" character on NCIS is NOT a "latina". (although the actress is). Ziva's character is Israeli--she is a Mossad operative who was originally working in the US as a liason to NCIS (which violates so many laws and treaties that even Dick Cheney's twisted logic can't explain that one). She eventually (in season 7) became a US citizen and began working directly for NCIS, but I think we all know that is it operationally and philosophically impossible for a Mossad agent to ever NOT be working for Mossad--regardless of their "paper nationality"... Once Mossad, always Mossad... ;)

19Daniel91

I don't have a wife, but my Momma has a .357 magnum Ruger SP101 and loves it. It's extremely easy to use and built like a tank.

pool_marine702

Glock!!!!!!

GLOCK or XD!!!!! compact or even a sub compact... simple to clean and operate... both guns you can draw and hit that bang switch and it goes off...no saftey to fumble with when you get that combat coctail going... i carry a glock 23 (.40 S&W) and i love it.
i will most likley get my girlfrind the same when she gets comfortable enough to carry. just my 2 cents

crdonov

Opinions please?

My wife is discussing what kind of gun she wants to get. This is a big step for her. Until recently she has always talked about getting one "someday" but now she is actually thinking about what kind to get.

She digs my XD-45 but it is a little bit too large for her hands. Also, after shooting 50 or 60 rounds it starts to hurt her hand and can even leave a bruise!

She is small, 5 ft 2 and has a hard time finding blue jeans small enough so gun size is a consideration.

She will not be carrying as often as I do. We will get her a WA state CPL but she will likely OC on occasion too. Primarily this will be for range use and her defense when I am not around... or in the woods when we hike and backpack.

It also needs to be a simple gun... simple operation and simple cleaning, maintenance, etc.

So I am thinking revolver? Form and function, easy cleaning, simple operation, small frame with the ability to hurl lead like the bigger players.

I also want her to have some knock down power but not so much that she cannot control it... so I am thinking .357

Here is where the fun begins...

6-inch is too much barrel for her but I think 2-inch is too little?

Light weight frames are nice, but they kick like a mule so the felt recoil is going to be right up there with my .45 - well not exactly but still not fun to shoot 100 times in an afternoon, right?

Ruger? S&W? Taurus?

Hammerless?

I know she needs to get her hands on some, and we will. Probably head to Champion or Wades and break out the .357 selection, let her play to her hearts content. But since I know a few folks who are well versed on the subject... why not posit the question to them?

:)

what about the springfeild xd subcompact 9mm? i have one, love it. thats my cwc firearm. nice shooting firearm. hopes this helps