• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

In a disaster what ONE gun would you want to be left with above all?

In a disaster what ONE firearm would you want to be left with above all?

• Total voters

flb_78

Ruger Charger with a suppressor.

ruger.gif

rodbender

Depends on type opf disaster. Flood, fire, breakdown of government (we can only dream), all out military invasion, earthquake, or all out SHTF type. May be different for each one.

Jack House

Depends on type opf disaster. Flood, fire, breakdown of government (we can only dream), all out military invasion, earthquake, or all out SHTF type. May be different for each one.
Good point, would also depend on the type of fights you would be expecting.

daddy4count

centerfire, repeating rifle... might as well throw a bayonet on there for good measure

needed in emergency: personal protection (defense), multi-range offense, multi-range hunting

Broondog

centerfire repeating rifle of the AKM variety. it has a decent enough round for most critters, 'cept squirrels, and is reliable in all weather/seasons. mid-range accuracy is good (150-200m), and don't tell me you need more. close range is well, close range.

and it may be heavier and bulkier than its direct competition but when it comes down to the need, it makes a much nicer club!

Ruby

A shotgun that shoots both shot and slugs (I think that's what they're called). No one will want to be on the receiving end, 2 legged or 4 legged.

frommycolddeadhands

Had to take the semi-auto shotgun

More for versatility than anything. Good for hunting just about any critter you can imagine with the proper ammo. I could be eating turkey one night and venison the next. Good for defense of the homestead. 00 buckshot will take care of human invaders. Slugs can total a vehicle in pretty quick order, and I'm pretty sure it'll hurt the feelings of anyone in body armor.

Last edited:
M

McX

the bayonette can be used to conserve ammo. when in doubt skewer them first.

added on edit; i like to call mine here a 'lootarian disposal device'.

Last edited:

suntzu

that would be a hard pick for me--it would be semi-auto, adjustable sights, capable of being scoped and have an attachment for a bayonet.

D_Weezy

In a disaster what ONE gun would you want to be left with above all?

Centerfire rifle w/ bayonet

Seeing that you as the OP chose a centerfire rifle w/bayonet, I would guess you mean a breakdown of government or an invasion. I guess I would choose a bolt action centerfire rifle. Under other circumstances, I would probably choose, bolt action - 22magnum - rimfire rifle - w/suppressor.

simmonsjoe

This is a tough question. As I am somewhat close to populated areas I choose semi-auto centerfire w/ bayonet.

There are many variables though. If I lived more in the sticks, say up in the mountains or such, I would choose a Scout type rifle.

I really would like some rimfire weapons in other situations.
I could see a big use for silencers. They would be a HUGE plus in a without rule of law situation, especially on rimfire weapons. I'm not trying to be some type of swat ninja. I just think on rare occasion you may have to handle business discreetly, seeing as there is no law enforcement.