Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shari's Long Standing Policy on "no guns"

Shari's Long Standing Policy on "no guns"

I picked up on this discussion from the Idaho thread and since I occasionally frequent Shari's, thought I'd just pick up the phone and give them a call....

This may be old news on our WA thread, but am just giving you what I was told.

"Shari's Does NOT allow weapons in their stores, it is private property and they have a fully implemented policy on this incorporated into their employee handbook prohibiting guns as is their right in all the states they operate in."

I just personally spoke to Shari's Corporate:

SHARI'S CORPORATE OFFICE

9400 SW Gemini Drive

Beaverton, OR 97008

tel: (503) 605-4299

fax: (503) 605-4260

EMPLOYEE RELATIONS

Mike Bennett

Vice President of Human Resources

email: mbennett@sharis.com

He told me that Shari's policy regarding "No Weapons" (employee's or customers) has not changed for the nearly 20 years that he has been there. It is not a written "stand alone" policy, but is incorporated into the Employee Manual.....
    Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat....Teddy Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by jt59 View Post
    I picked up on this discussion from the Idaho thread and since I occasionally frequent Shari's, thought I'd just pick up the phone and give them a call....

This may be old news on our WA thread, but am just giving you what I was told.

"Shari's Does NOT allow weapons in their stores, it is private property and they have a fully implemented policy on this incorporated into their employee handbook prohibiting guns as is their right in all the states they operate in."

I just personally spoke to Shari's Corporate:

SHARI'S CORPORATE OFFICE

9400 SW Gemini Drive

Beaverton, OR 97008

tel: (503) 605-4299

fax: (503) 605-4260

EMPLOYEE RELATIONS

Mike Bennett

Vice President of Human Resources

email: mbennett@sharis.com

He told me that Shari's policy regarding "No Weapons" (employee's or customers) has not changed for the nearly 20 years that he has been there. It is not a written "stand alone" policy, but is incorporated into the Employee Manual.....
    Good to know thanks! I will take my business elsewhere when considering that type of restaurant. Too bad to because I liked that place.

I've been to 3 different Sharis' OCing. No problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Squeak View Post
    I've been to 3 different Sharis' OCing. No problem.
    What a rebel! Horray for clueless employees!

Been harassed by the police? Yelled at by the anti-gun neighbors? Mother doesn't approve?

Then this is the place for you! Click here to get back at them!

I go to two different Shari's in the Kent area, always open carrying. One on 180th, up the hill from Valley Medical, and the other on Kent Kangley and 132nd, kinda' between Kent and Covington. I've never had any issues at either restaurant.

The one in Lacey has never been a problem either!

I think they also have a policy to make bad food.... soooo... yeaaaahh

Joe~

A policy that is contained only in an employee handbook by definition does not apply to customers.
    Meet the new boss; same as the old boss. -The Who

Sharis Port Orchard

Never a problem. Been there many times.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Warden View Post
    A policy that is contained only in an employee handbook by definition does not apply to customers.
    Ditto! Just goes to show you how some companies survive IN SPITE of the quality of employees their hire at their corporate offices. As far as Shari's, the one near my house has been closed for as long as I can remember. They can't even lease out the empty building to either a mexican or chinese restaurant.

Don't know if I agree with this limitation, Bob..... the employee handbook may include information or direction to the employee's around key issues and how to handle them according to company policies, it depends largely on how corporate HR disseminates information and policy to their employee's. This may be their way....

....and accordingly the gentleman that I spoke with made pains to say he had been a criminal investigator (don't know why) prior to his current assignment with Shari's and supported the policy.

Good news is that their handbook (and policy) are not quite firing on all thrusters....bad news is that if you do get asked to leave and it turns into a treaspass complaint, I would expect the corporate policy will likely prevail in their decision to press charges or not (although, if the employee is ignorant of the policy or can't demonstrate he was trained during his incubation, you might make a defense).

He was quite clear in his communication and was also quite aware of our missives on the Opencarry.org site.

Anyway, this is simply just a word to the wise....I'll be taking my grandson to the I-HOP for pancakes...

Anyone with experience there?

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Warden View Post
    Last edited by jt59; 08-25-2010 at 06:25 PM.
    Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat....Teddy Roosevelt

Haven't there been OC meets at Sharis before? If it's in the EMPLOYEE handbook, that tells me that such policy only applies to EMPLOYEES. Nothing new there, no employer permits their employees to carry far as I've heard.
    It is very wise to not take a watermelon lightly.

It only applies to employees until they put up a sign...

Employee manual has nothing to do with patrons. Would they not need a corporate policy extending beyond employees which would include a WRITTEN corporate policy and visible signs at all entrances?

I have never OC'd at a Sharis but I've CC'd at many of them (been many years) and I have never once seen "No Weapons" or "No Firearms" signage.

Hmmm, that's a good point...Where did I read that in the RCW....posting at reasonable intervals...or was that only for federal bld'gs, courthouses and restricted areas of jails and airports?
    I may need to give Mr. HR a follow up note on his deficiency....

Quote Originally Posted by daddy4count View Post
    It only applies to employees until they put up a sign...

Employee manual has nothing to do with patrons. Would they not need a corporate policy extending beyond employees which would include a WRITTEN corporate policy and visible signs at all entrances?

I have never OC'd at a Sharis but I've CC'd at many of them (been many years) and I have never once seen "No Weapons" or "No Firearms" signage.
    Last edited by jt59; 08-25-2010 at 06:41 PM.

this is a perfect example of why we never ask for permission!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jt59 View Post
    Hmmm, that's a good point...Where did I read that in the RCW....posting at reasonable intervals...or was that only for federal bld'gs, courthouses and restricted areas of jails and airports?
    I may need to give Mr. HR a follow up note on his deficiency....
    calling and asking is just the excuse some places use to tell us were not welcome
    with our fire arms!!!
    now it sounds like you want to school him on how to trespass us, and legally bar us from entering!!
    we have had many meets at sharis, they act just like dennys, welcoming us with open arms and menus!!!

NEVER call and ask!
    EMNofSeattle wrote: Your idea of freedom terrifies me. So you are actually right. I am perfectly happy with what you call tyranny.....

“If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.”

Stand up for your Rights,, They have no authority on their own...

All power is inherent in the people,
    it is their right and duty to be at all times ARMED!

Exactly right.

Err,....You started at the top of the thread, right?

I wasn't asking anybody for permission...I was answering a question from one of the OC'rs in Idaho, who got tossed from one of their company stores when they stopped for a meal, and challenged the local employee to "prove up" on the policy when they were told to leave....which they couldn't do....and kinda put a call out if anyone knew what the deal was.

Regardless, the result was the same in the end, and they were still required to leave, and spoiled up until that point what had been a pretty good day....lot's of confusion ensued...with several posting of "well, I been here (or there) " and never had any problems"...and no real answers, just speculation on what the "real" policy is....and a few other random experiences where they didn't get the boot....Is that because the other joints are friendly to OC"rs or just ill trained employee's....

I simply went straight to the top of the pile to ask the question: Policy? No Policy?...Turns out he wasn't looking for an excuse...they do have a policy.

...I got an answer and then shared it....

This certainly doesn't limit your choices of where to get some moons over my hammy, but if you get asked to leave, you'll know the deal.

We can get mired down in the details, and maybe that's my bad...(Well, if they don't have signs posted, then it doesn't count.... if it's in the handbook then it only apply's to the (ill trained) employee's)?....it may get you a little further in the door, but, if they ask you leave, then that's it....

...and I don't mind educating the HR guy a little more....since I've already engaged him... if he is going to have some restrictive policies, fine, but he should follow the rules to get 'er done........and if that includes the cost of posting signs, spending $$ and losing my business, I'm ok with that too!

My personal interest was as I said. Since I go here once in a while, I don't end up in there with my family or friends and a bunch of confused employee's and everyone freakin out trying to order pancakes 'cause I'm wearing a sidearm.

Since I only get my grandson every other weekend for Sunday morning breakfast.... If I can avoid a hassle, then I'm a pretty happy guy.

They're off my top 10 eatery's, I mean it's barely 1 star dining ....and I'm going to boycott 'em...

....and go to Denny's......so....(fade off into the sunset).

Quote Originally Posted by 1245A Defender View Post
    calling and asking is just the excuse some places use to tell us were not welcome
    with our fire arms!!!
    now it sounds like you want to school him on how to trespass us, and legally bar us from entering!!
    we have had many meets at sharis, they act just like dennys, welcoming us with open arms and menus!!!

NEVER call and ask!

jt59; C'mon over and I'll go for coffee with you and your grandson. I don't recall that I've met you. I'll buy the coffee if you promise not to tell anyone. I have a reputation, such as it is.

Thanks for the invitation Squeak,

I haven't actually met many folks at all yet, so I look forward to it.....I'll PM...

JT

Quote Originally Posted by Squeak View Post
    jt59; C'mon over and I'll go for coffee with you and your grandson. I don't recall that I've met you. I'll buy the coffee if you promise not to tell anyone. I have a reputation, such as it is.

I OC in Shari's Wandermere every so often never had a problem.

Please do not try to educate the HR guy, please dont even call him back just let it drop. You got the Human Resorces guy he hires people, helps set company policy for employees, he may even figure out the employee's benifits package. Most likely he dosn't have any say in what their customers can or can not do. This guy evidently did not understand your question or he would have refered you to someone that actually has some authority to set customer policy.

A no firearms sign has not weight of law in Washington State, they can only trespass you if you refuse to leave.

ASKING for policy IS different than asking for permission!

you were posting about IDAHOs problem with sheris.
    Now its possible it will become a corporate wide problem.
    sheris had a reputation of following state law.
    now because of your call, they may retrain EVERYBODY
    to discriminate against ALL lawfully armed citizens!

ETA see our thread about breakfast 8-28 saturday in bremerton
    you can meet a bunch of us, including squeak
    Last edited by 1245A Defender; 08-25-2010 at 08:58 PM.
    EMNofSeattle wrote: Your idea of freedom terrifies me. So you are actually right. I am perfectly happy with what you call tyranny.....

“If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.”

Stand up for your Rights,, They have no authority on their own...

All power is inherent in the people,
    it is their right and duty to be at all times ARMED!

bad news is that if you do get asked to leave and it turns into a treaspass complaint, I would expect the corporate policy will likely prevail in their decision to press charges or not (although, if the employee is ignorant of the policy or can't demonstrate he was trained during his incubation, you might make a defense).
    Why would a private corporate policy have any bearing on a criminal case? If asked to leave by any employee, and you don't, you're trespassing. It's as simple as that.

The corporation is under no obligation to disclose it's policies to anyone, and it and any employees have full authority to make or change policy at will, at any time, no notice necessary. They also have the full authority to impose these policies on anyone on their premises. Anyone on their premises has a responsibility to obey any legal policies imposed upon them by any employee.

I will never understand this fetish with the policies of private businesses. It's none of our business.

Quote Originally Posted by 1245A Defender View Post

you were posting about IDAHOs problem with sheris. yep, but Idaho's issue with them, raised flags on their corporate policy that could impact WA.

Now its possible it will become a corporate wide problem.

I agree, but....it's already a corporate wide issue..... I didn't cause it, I just called it out

sheris had a reputation of following state law.

"Has" a reputation... nothing has actually changed yet

now because of your call, they may retrain EVERYBODY
    to discriminate against ALL lawfully armed citizens!

Yes, but only time will tell, we'll have to stay on alert for descrimination training. It is a slippery slope, let's just don't slide over the edge into the abyss

In conclusion (for me anyway), I guess somewhere in all the threads that I've read here, somewhere, I thought that private companies in WA were entitled to make decisions regarding policies regarding no shoes, no shirts, no guns, no service on their premises and private property.....this policy has been in place at Sherri's for 20 years according to SR. Mgt....I am OK with that, because that is also their right....and I get to make my buying decisions on that.

ETA see our thread about breakfast 8-28 saturday in bremerton
    you can meet a bunch of us, including squeak

Thank you, it looks like I may be able to make it after all.

P.S. If you have some Sheri's breakfast coupons that you can't cash in, I'll be happy to buy your breakfast....if we can still be friends. I love your passion!.

I have open carried quite a few times into the local Shari's without a problem.

And I'm going to join the ranks in saying that EMPLOYEE POLICY does not apply to CUSTOMERS.
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself." -John Stuart Mill

Quote Originally Posted by deanf View Post
    Why would a private corporate policy have any bearing on a criminal case? If asked to leave by any employee, and you don't, you're trespassing. It's as simple as that.

The corporation is under no obligation to disclose it's policies to anyone, and it and any employees have full authority to make or change policy at will, at any time, no notice necessary. They also have the full authority to impose these policies on anyone on their premises. Anyone on their premises has a responsibility to obey any legal policies imposed upon them by any employee.

I will never understand this fetish with the policies of private businesses. It's none of our business.
    +100

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast