• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Shari's Long Standing Policy on "no guns"

1245A Defender

ASKING for policy IS different than asking for permission!

you were posting about IDAHOs problem with sheris.
Now its possible it will become a corporate wide problem.
sheris had a reputation of following state law.
now because of your call, they may retrain EVERYBODY
to discriminate against ALL lawfully armed citizens!

ETA see our thread about breakfast 8-28 saturday in bremerton
you can meet a bunch of us, including squeak

Last edited:

deanf

bad news is that if you do get asked to leave and it turns into a treaspass complaint, I would expect the corporate policy will likely prevail in their decision to press charges or not (although, if the employee is ignorant of the policy or can't demonstrate he was trained during his incubation, you might make a defense).

Why would a private corporate policy have any bearing on a criminal case? If asked to leave by any employee, and you don't, you're trespassing. It's as simple as that.

The corporation is under no obligation to disclose it's policies to anyone, and it and any employees have full authority to make or change policy at will, at any time, no notice necessary. They also have the full authority to impose these policies on anyone on their premises. Anyone on their premises has a responsibility to obey any legal policies imposed upon them by any employee.

I will never understand this fetish with the policies of private businesses. It's none of our business.

jt59

you were posting about IDAHOs problem with sheris. yep, but Idaho's issue with them, raised flags on their corporate policy that could impact WA.

Now its possible it will become a corporate wide problem.

I agree, but....it's already a corporate wide issue..... I didn't cause it, I just called it out

sheris had a reputation of following state law.

"Has" a reputation... nothing has actually changed yet

now because of your call, they may retrain EVERYBODY
to discriminate against ALL lawfully armed citizens!

Yes, but only time will tell, we'll have to stay on alert for descrimination training. It is a slippery slope, let's just don't slide over the edge into the abyss

In conclusion (for me anyway), I guess somewhere in all the threads that I've read here, somewhere, I thought that private companies in WA were entitled to make decisions regarding policies regarding no shoes, no shirts, no guns, no service on their premises and private property.....this policy has been in place at Sherri's for 20 years according to SR. Mgt....I am OK with that, because that is also their right....and I get to make my buying decisions on that.

ETA see our thread about breakfast 8-28 saturday in bremerton
you can meet a bunch of us, including squeak

Thank you, it looks like I may be able to make it after all.

P.S. If you have some Sheri's breakfast coupons that you can't cash in, I'll be happy to buy your breakfast....if we can still be friends. I love your passion!.

killchain

I have open carried quite a few times into the local Shari's without a problem.

And I'm going to join the ranks in saying that EMPLOYEE POLICY does not apply to CUSTOMERS.

jt59

Why would a private corporate policy have any bearing on a criminal case? If asked to leave by any employee, and you don't, you're trespassing. It's as simple as that.

The corporation is under no obligation to disclose it's policies to anyone, and it and any employees have full authority to make or change policy at will, at any time, no notice necessary. They also have the full authority to impose these policies on anyone on their premises. Anyone on their premises has a responsibility to obey any legal policies imposed upon them by any employee.

I will never understand this fetish with the policies of private businesses. It's none of our business.

+100

jt59

And I'm going to join the ranks in saying that EMPLOYEE POLICY does not apply to CUSTOMERS.

Ok, one last time...I never said it was an employee policy. I said that the VP of HR told me the policy on guns in their store lived in the employee hand book

......remember, JT no good deed goes unpunished :lol:

Last edited:

jt59

I'm with you.... if we could only vote!....with something other than our feet!

Last edited:

Squeak

P.S. If you have some Sheri's breakfast coupons that you can't cash in, I'll be happy to buy your breakfast....if we can still be friends. I love your passion!.
Allllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllright! I have some Sharis coupons. Gotta go check them and see if the ink is dry! Don't want to smear 'em!:lol:

tombrewster421

I OC in Shari's Wandermere every so often never had a problem.

Please do not try to educate the HR guy, please dont even call him back just let it drop. You got the Human Resorces guy he hires people, helps set company policy for employees, he may even figure out the employee's benifits package. Most likely he dosn't have any say in what their customers can or can not do. This guy evidently did not understand your question or he would have refered you to someone that actually has some authority to set customer policy.

A no firearms sign has not weight of law in Washington State, they can only trespass you if you refuse to leave.

I second this opinion. I've OC'd there before with no issues. I would hate for there to be issues for all of us now.

Batousaii

Yeap ...

Never a problem. Been there many times.

Same here - many times for me too, western style even, so it's not like i am just not being noticed either. They are all friendly and accepting at the Port Orchard Shari's. We even had a big OC meet there last year, they were very accommodating.

:dude:

Last edited:

1245A Defender

hope you can come to our meet!

saturday, 9am, family pancake house, kitsap way, bremerton
Meet in Bremerton

ill clear it with the security guy :banana::banana::banana:

jt59

Shari's 72nd and I-5

I was heading back to work from the Home Depot up near the highway, heading east on 72nd, and suddenly my truck jerked to the left and went into "diner's row" at the intersection....nearly lunch..... time to stop and get a bite.

Curling around the corner, the vehicle suddenly pulled hard left again, and stopped straight into an open parking spot....

I got out and wandered into the Shari's.....couldn't hep mysef....I think I'll have the Turkey sandwich I sez to the waitress as I sat down in the booth, strong side out.

Nice waitstaff, the General Manager even made change for me when I went to buy a paper, and then again about an hour later, when I paid the tab....quiet lunch, no comments!

What a nice place!............HeHe HeHe HeHe:monkey

Last edited:

Ajetpilot

I don't care...

I just simply don't care about corporate policies, employees policies, or wheather employee policies apply to the general public. I OC everywhere, and I have for many years. To me it is a normal thing to do. If anyone ever asks me to leave an establishment (no one ever has), I will do so. At that point I will have a dialog with whoever makes policy.

heresolong

I just simply don't care about corporate policies, employees policies, or wheather employee policies apply to the general public. I OC everywhere, and I have for many years. To me it is a normal thing to do. If anyone ever asks me to leave an establishment (no one ever has), I will do so. At that point I will have a dialog with whoever makes policy.

Ditto. Well said.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran

Ditto. Well said.

I also concur.

killchain

That must be the practice, not the rule (obviously)....

...but then maybe your just a big tipper:lol:

You know... now that you mention it, that probably is it.

I'm one of those saps who pays like 15%-20% tips, depending on how I feel that day.

...must be working? haha.