• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

How do your store your OC piece in the car?

bennie1986

I started carrying with one in the chamber and when I get to work I have to leave the gun in the car. When I remove my gun from the holster I remove the chambered round to store it but wonder if that’s a good idea or not. How do other people handle storing a gun in the car for long periods?

amlevin

I started carrying with one in the chamber and when I get to work I have to leave the gun in the car. When I remove my gun from the holster I remove the chambered round to store it but wonder if that’s a good idea or not. How do other people handle storing a gun in the car for long periods?

Mine is locked in the car as well as being locked in the console. Don't bother unloading chambered round.

I try not to stay away from my Sig too long as I don't want it to suffer from "separation anxiety".

jt59

Not sure what a "long period" means, but...I'm pretty lucky in that my truck is line of sight to my office, so it's less of an issue as if it were out of sight in a Pkg lot or Pkg gargage or on the street.

I leave my Kimber in the consol, vehicle locked, unloaded, out of site....when I am in the vehicle, I comfortably carry it on my belt, loaded or may have it in one of the cubby's....if I have to be somewhere that I don't think leaving it in the vehicle is a good idea and I can't OC then, under the shirt it goes! I don't get to far from it, having had vehicles broken into in the past.

...mostly, when I'm in the vehicle, I just wear it....

daddy4count

I do what you do...

Unholster pistol, eject magazine, eject chambered round, insert ejected round into ejected magazine, store both in locked console in locked car/truck

When I get back: Slam, rack and stash

jt59

Minutia......I actually, take the clip with me.....I don't want to confront some fool that's broken into my vehicle at the mall and have the gun AND clip in the cab....:banghead:

I do what you do...

Unholster pistol, eject magazine, eject chambered round, insert ejected round into ejected magazine, store both in locked console in locked car/truck

When I get back: Slam, rack and stash

jt59

I would expect personal choice and comfort level.

I like how Jt5 does it, I put it in the glove and leave it cocked n locked, when I'm driving its always in reach, usually not in the holster? Whats the advantage to taking the round out of the chamber?

jt59

Yes, Yes,....I can see it (retirement), just over the horizon...but, not yet, not yet,

I'm going to try and turn my current job into part time over the next several years....

I am retired, but have a part time job. No carry on the job, but I do have a secure storage.

Aryk45XD

Be careful with chambering old rounds.

Just remember, it's not a good idea to chamber the same round many times. You may notice the bullet pushed into the case after just one or two racks of the slide. If you have a CPL, it's a good idea to keep it chambered and locked up. Before I had my CPL, I even kept the slide back when I was out around town. I chambered slowly and shot a round of defensive ammo after a few millimeters of travel. Now my CC piece stays on my door, but won't fire without the mag in my pocket and my OC piece stays in the locked case attached to my seat.

Last edited:

killchain

Just remember, it's not a good idea to chamber the same round many times. You may notice the bullet pushed into the case after just one or two racks of the slide. If you have a CPL, it's a good idea to keep it chambered and locked up. Before I had my CPL, I even kept the slide back when I was out around town. I chambered slowly and shot a round of defensive ammo after a few millimeters of travel. Now my CC piece stays on my door, but won't fire without the mag in my pocket and my OC piece stays in the locked case attached to my seat.

+1. This is why I shoot up and replace my defensive rounds every couple of months.

If I have to leave my piece in the truck, it's locked in the console. I don't bother clearing it.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
Mine is locked in the car as well as being locked in the console. Don't bother unloading chambered round.

I try not to stay away from my Sig too long as I don't want it to suffer from "separation anxiety".

Also carry a Sig or two or 3...

It stays cocked, locked and ready to fire! It stays locked in the car.

tony d tiger

If I have to leave it in the car, then I lock it up in a Nano Vault 200. http://www.gunvault.com/handgun-safes/nano-vault.html I do not take the round out of the chamber. I also leave my spare mag in the safe as well.

It gets secured via cable around something stable in the car like the seat rails or frame.

Looks like a common "wafer" lock - easily picked w/paperclip and a leatherman or small screwdriver. :yikes! have you ever tried to open it w/o the key?

Recently had to secure mine while going on-post... put it in the toolbox in my trunk and slapped a master lock on it. Also easily defeated w/a pair of good pliers or clippers. Like Daddy always used to say - locks are to keep honest people honest.

MAndrew

I like the idea of taking the magazine with me when leaving a gun in the vehicle. That is something that I'll start doing from now on.