• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Does Blue Ridge Community College really allow Concealed Carry?

hometheaterman

I've read on here numerous times that Blue Ridge Community College allows students with a CHP to carry concealed on campus.

This is what I found. Page 186 Item H.
http://academic.brcc.edu/media/docs/catalog09-10.pdf

So it appears to be saying that you can not carry a firearm on campus. Or are CHP holders exempt by that statue? This is what I found on the statue
http://leg1.state.va.us/000/cod/18.2-308.HTM

So if I'm reading it correctly it appears that it's saying CHP holders or any other person that meets one of those definitions is permitted to carry on campus. Am I correct here? If so is Blue Ridge the only school that allows students to carry?

Last edited:

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
I've read on here numerous times that Blue Ridge Community College allows students with a CHP to carry concealed on campus.

This is what I found. Page 186 Item H.
http://academic.brcc.edu/media/docs/catalog09-10.pdf

So it appears to be saying that you can not carry a firearm on campus. Or are CHP holders exempt by that statue? This is what I found on the statue
http://leg1.state.va.us/000/cod/18.2-308.HTM

So if I'm reading it correctly it appears that it's saying CHP holders or any other person that meets one of those definitions is permitted to carry on campus. Am I correct here? If so is Blue Ridge the only school that allows students to carry?

I read it to mean if you are a student... you can't carry at all.

t33j

18.2-308 creates no "exemptions" from university regulations. Why else would they mention that in the document, except to mean that CC is ok?

hometheaterman

To be honest, I read it as that way too at first. However, after reading the code I wasn't sure if that meant you were exempt or not. I know I'd read on here that CC is allowed which is what got me curious originally, so I looked it up and that's what I found. After reading the code again, I'm not seeing where it mentions CHP holders are exempt, however, I see where it talks about how to apply for a permit. Am I missing something here about CHP holders?

Last edited:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
My reading on trhe Disciplinary Procedures policy is different. All they do is say that if a student is accused of "posing a serious threat to the wellbeing or safety of" students, faculty, staff, property or operations, the student is subject to disciplinary action.

I fail to see how legal concealed carry would pose any such serious threat. If I were accused of such, I'd make the major part of my defense the obligation for the administration to prove how crossing an imaginary boundary changed a lawful action that posed no serious threat to the wellbeing or safety of the population at large, or to the property or operations of the Commonwealth outside that imaginary boundary, to a threat once on the college side of the boundary. And then I'd laugh all the way to the dealership to purchase the limosine I'd ride in to the bank to deposit the settlement they paid to me.

Thus, as far as I can see, their policies do not prohibit concealed carry. For that matter, I do not see them prohibiting open carry, or the driving of a tank with appropriate road treads, or the carrying of my USMC NCO saber.

stay safe.