• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Shooting in Spokane last night, this is just sad.

Jeff Hayes

I feel sorry for everyone involved. I think I may have done the same thing under the same circumstances. What would you have done?

OFFICIAL PRESS RELEASE:

Spokane Police responded to a fatal shooting last night, August 24, 2010, just before 11:00pm, near 4000 East Sprague.

Officers found a 26 year old Securitas Security Officer, George Hayek, in the alley behind the Pepsi Cola building. The shooter was rendering first aid and CPR to the victim when patrol officers arrived. Sgt. JD Anderson and Ofc. Ron Vantassel took over CPR until medics arrived. Medics pronounced the victim dead at the scene.

Major Crimes detectives responded and are continuing the investigation. At this time, all involved parties have been interviewed and no arrests have been made.

Police have learned that security officer Hayek was conducting his rounds in the alley behind the building just before 11pm. A group of people socializing in the common area of 4023 E. Pacific engaged in an argument with Hayek. Words exchanged led to threats, which escalated the argument. Hayek pointed what appeared to be a handgun at the group. One of the members of the group fired several rounds at Hayek, striking and killing him.

Investigators have recovered the handgun used by the shooter as well as a bb gun, which is a replica of a semi-automatic handgun,

The Spokane Police Department typically responds to one homicide a month, on average. This is only the third homicide since January, 2010.

Last edited:

bennie1986

I feel sorry for everyone involved. I think I may have done the same thing under the same circumstances. What would you have done?

OFFICIAL PRESS RELEASE:

Spokane Police responded to a fatal shooting last night, August 24, 2010, just before 11:00pm, near 4000 East Sprague.

Officers found a 26 year old Securitas Security Officer, George Hayek, in the alley behind the Pepsi Cola building. The shooter was rendering first aid and CPR to the victim when patrol officers arrived. Sgt. JD Anderson and Ofc. Ron Vantassel took over CPR until medics arrived. Medics pronounced the victim dead at the scene.

Major Crimes detectives responded and are continuing the investigation. At this time, all involved parties have been interviewed and no arrests have been made.

Police have learned that security officer Hayek was conducting his rounds in the alley behind the building just before 11pm. A group of people socializing in the common area of 4023 E. Pacific engaged in an argument with Hayek. Words exchanged led to threats, which escalated the argument. Hayek pointed what appeared to be a handgun at the group. One of the members of the group fired several rounds at Hayek, striking and killing him.

Investigators have recovered the handgun used by the shooter as well as a bb gun, which is a replica of a semi-automatic handgun,

The Spokane Police Department typically responds to one homicide a month, on average. This is only the third homicide since January, 2010.

I have been watching this all day it really sucks. I would have to do the same thing if confronted with a gun.

Ruby

This is sad. The security guard should never have pointed a gun or anything that looks like a gun at someone. I hate to say it, but he died of his own stupidity. It was 11 o'clock at night; no one in the group arguing with him would have been able to tell that it wasn't a regular semi-auto. He presented the group with what looked like a genuine threat; I would have shot also. When someone is pointing a gun at you, you don't generally ask them if it's real. Sad for the shooter also. I can't imagine what he must be going through.

Hammer

How sad...
At the expense of the deceased, there are some good lessons in this for everyone.
Even if he had a firearm- not a effin' BB gun fer chrissake!- it would have been a serious error in judgement to display that to a group. There's no way even in good light you can keep track of all those hands. Next point, what was the eminent danger to life or property that the guard was protecting? It better have been real important- it cost him his life.
My sympathies to all those impacted by this- it is a senseless tragedy.

Aryk45XD

Very sad indeed...

He probably wouldn't have even displayed it if it was real. I was about 18 when a car full of thugs pulled up to me in a parking lot and pointed a shotgun at me. If I was armed, it would have been bad. I noticed as I dove to the rear that it was fake. I really haven't thought about it since then.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
A few years ago one of my good friends and hunitng buddies had a similar experience. I have known him for 30 years. He is a sheriff's deputy and had a young man (12 or so) point a bb gun at him while on duty. He did not shoot, but was very disturbed by the possibility of killing a 12yo boy who only had a bb gun. My buddy, as a sheriff, would have been totally justified. It was also late at night and dark.

BobR

It was dark, the security guard was in his own car, there was a fence between them, an argument that escalated, a guy pulling a gun (real or not) on a group, someone with a real gun fires 3 times and neutralizes the threat, then he hops the fence to start CPR.

From another link I pulled this snippet out.

That's when Hartell fired his open weapon at El-Hayek.

http://www.kxly.com/news/24752392/detail.html

bob

amzbrady

When I worked for Securitas, they told us we were there to report anything out of the ordinary, we were not in any way to get involved. I was not to carry a firearm, and was never issued a bb gun either. I feel sorry for the shooter who was defending himself, like it was said, he now has to live with this.

devildoc5

Having worked many many many years in the security industry (ok maybe not that many many's but still at least 5 years) The ONLY job a security guard has is to OBSERVE AND REPORT. Yes they can also make arrests (those are conveiniently called "citizens arrests"...)

They have absolutely 0 legal jurisdiction and the worst they can do is trespass you/perform a citizens arrest. They are held to the exact same standards of Joe Schmoe when it comes to ANY knid of force whether it be during an "arrest" or it be deadly force...

triehl27

First Rule of a Gunfight

First Rule of a gun fight: Have a gun.

The guard died of his own stupidity. The real question is which property was he working for? Pepsi or the apartment? Second why is he engaging people in the "Common Area" of the apartment complex?

If he was making rounds on duty, why was he in an unmarked car? Presumably his own?

I had a very close call simular to this here in seattle with a Girl. She and her friends were blocking a road, I honked, she pulled a Beretta. I pulled a Kimber. After ordering her to drop her weapon she continued to point and threaten. For whatever reason my Kimber did not fire. She finally realized that I had a gun too and she was on the losing end. She threw hers down screaming "It ain't Real" King County found it to be a broken Gamo air pistol.

She should have died that night, I had made the conscious choice to pulled the trigger because my life was in danger. And for whatever reason, 3.8# of pressure, thumbsafety off, and functioning grip safety and it did not drop the hammer. I have test fired it and continue to own it, and I cannot tell you why on that dark street that night, she did not get shot. 3 different 1911 experts have looked at the gun and cleared it as working fine. It had never before had an issue and has never had one since.

Point is guard pulled a in a matter that was clearly none of his business (if it had been he'd have been inside the fence, not outside it) He pulled a toy, made threats with it. Others feared for their lives and defended themselves. It's a tragedy, but cie la vie, at 26 he should have known better. Too bad, but you play with fire you get burned eventually

grishnav

If he was making rounds on duty, why was he in an unmarked car? Presumably his own?

You aren't generally issued a car when you work a site. You do foot partrols. Some people, either out of practicality or laziness, will use their own cars to make rounds or respond to calls.

Also, good thing you don't own a glock. ;)

Also, it's "c'est la vie".

Last edited:

sudden valley gunner

Having worked many many many years in the security industry (ok maybe not that many many's but still at least 5 years) The ONLY job a security guard has is to OBSERVE AND REPORT. Yes they can also make arrests (those are conveiniently called "citizens arrests"...)

They have absolutely 0 legal jurisdiction and the worst they can do is trespass you/perform a citizens arrest. They are held to the exact same standards of Joe Schmoe when it comes to ANY knid of force whether it be during an "arrest" or it be deadly force...

I agree and was a security guard for short time years ago. Except Joe Schmoe actually had more rights than I did.

They can perform citizens arrest, and can use deadly force.

WA state RCW's restrict LEO use of deadly force more than they do average Joe Schmoe whether this is a reality is another debate.