• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Minor OC incident tonight in WalMart of all places.

OC-Advocate

Was at the store tonight purchasing some random items...the usual. Milk, eggs and creamer.(Creme Brulee) mmmmm.

Was checking out and this "gentleman" approached me in a highly confrontational manner. Asked if I were a police officer. I informed him, no I am not. He then asked why would I be as idiotic to carry a firearm in a public manner. I replied that I would answer his questions as soon as he identified himself. He then did so and claimed to be a LEO. He refused to show ID, but then proceeded to threaten to have me arrested and my weapon confiscated. I then informed him of WALMARTS corporate policy towards those to OC and he replied that there was sign saying to the opposite located on the front door. I then went and checked and there was no sign. I returned to the store and asked for the manager.

After three of them showed up, they then asked him for ID and he refused and left. After them assuring me that I was in perfect compliance with WALMARTS policy, they told me that they had checked the website and confirmed my side.

This was in Goldsboro. Now, some background.

I OC everywhere I go. Not counting the obvious, banks, schools etc etc. I have never had a problem or incident. Civilians or LEO's have only shown slight interest in it. Most of the time I get to take a minute and give some education to the public here and there.

My carry piece is a Springfield 1911 .45
Yes, I know it is a little large, but it carries so much more smoother and balanced then my XD45 or my 27.
My groupings went in almost a 1/2 inch first time I fired it. That alone made me really decide to switch carry weapons.
See attached picture. Also, the rounds I use are highly reccommended and please feel free to Google them.DSCN1243.jpg

chiefjason

Heck, I'm just glad to hear that the walmart folks backed you up. The last problem I had a walmart was a manager telling me he would not have let me in the door OC. Got that straightened out though.

OC-Advocate

Well, he was a white male, about 5'9. His wife was short and wearing a "goldsboro police" shirt.

He was familiar with OSI because he threatened to call them if I was military. I was military, but I got out a few years ago after 6 in the Infantry.

I am sure I could get the tapes from Walmart is posing as an LEO is literally that big of a deal. I am not sure. After seeing all the retards driving around in old cop cars blacked out looking like a not so UC police car I tend to think its not that big of a deal. (run on sentence ftw)

Should I pursue?

Ruger

Occupied Greensboro, North Carolina, United States
I wish this guy had been eating lunch at Stamey's on Battleground Ave in Greensboro on 8/14. He would have crapped his pants at the sight of 20 of us with guns on our hips.... plus the two NC State Troopers a few tables down who had no problem with us whatsoever. :banana:

mekender

Well, he was a white male, about 5'9. His wife was short and wearing a "goldsboro police" shirt.

He was familiar with OSI because he threatened to call them if I was military. I was military, but I got out a few years ago after 6 in the Infantry.

I am sure I could get the tapes from Walmart is posing as an LEO is literally that big of a deal. I am not sure. After seeing all the retards driving around in old cop cars blacked out looking like a not so UC police car I tend to think its not that big of a deal. (run on sentence ftw)

Should I pursue?

Yes, absolutely you should.

One of two things is happening here...

1) He is not a cop, is a hot head and is trying to be a bad ass... Sooner or later it will escalate and someone will get hurt.

2) He is a cop, he is out of control and sooner or later someone will get hurt.

I would file a police report for someone threatening you and impersonating a LEO.

OC-Advocate

well, I spoke to two officers today (in uniform) and told them briefly what happened. They asked several questions, but the main thing was that they said that in the future if ANYONE says they are an LEO, and NOT in uniform and they refuse to show some form of ID to back up claim, to just walk away. Common sense also dictates that I can't get in trouble for fleeing, but if you could apply common sense to most **** in life well...don't get me started. Common sense lately, seems to not be so common if ya know what I mean.

Either way, REAL police here in town seem to VERY weapon friendly and other than that night OCing in goldsboro is a huge "not an issue".

Take note however. I am not one of those "people" who walk around LOOKING for attention and drama. I don't egg the police on nor do I throw it around that I am carrying. So, I am sure if you wanted to get into trouble, you could...but in that case you should have your weapon taken away and be smacked with it. In my opinion at least, which last I checked, isn't worth very much. (thanks wife)

Dreamer

This incident is why we should ALWAYS carry voice recorders at a bare minimum, and preferably some way to capture video or photographs. I would have whipped out my iPhone and started videoing the incident as soon as he got up in my face. I'm sure the police would be VERY interested in a video of his performance...

Good luck in the future. Remember, sometimes, having the local police's "non emergency" number on speed dial can be a REAL game-changer...

elixin77

Good luck in the future. Remember, sometimes, having the local police's "non emergency" number on speed dial can be a REAL game-changer...

I've had the g-ville pd non emergency number dialed into my phone even before I started OC'ing... something to do with old neighbors being really loud late at night....

spinner

Wal-Marts policy

That's why I started the thread of "Wal-Marts corporate policy" I know it's only 1 store but I'm in there alot like you. I carry it with me just in case I have any problems. Weather it's a customer or an ignorant store employee I figure knowledge is power, good luck. GOD BLESS

Northerner

How many Walmarts are there in Goldsboro? Was this the fairly new one off of Rt 70? I think I may go shopping there today.

Most likely the LEO wantabe is part of a military police detachment at the Seymour Johnson AFB and is only aware of AF UCMJ.

I did OC at the Wilson WalMart on 8/27 for about 30 minutes pushing a cart, carrying an OD G23 in a SerpII hoster. Ido have to say, about 80% of the shoppers did not speak english, so I have to learn "Man with a gun" in spanish. No other issues.

papa bear

almost a side note guys. i went to the walmart sat. nite, to get dog food. most people didn't even notice i was carrying. good conversation with some nice couples at the ammo desk. what i noticed was, on the way out on suv, pretty sure it was civllian, that had a small light about where the rear view mirror is. changing from red to blue in cycles. is that some kind of effect light and how could that possible be legal? could this have been a leo wana be. we do have a few around like that. should have looked closer but it was late