• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Questions on pistol Ownership.

Dante

My Father and me were talking about getting me a .22 pistol for Small game and target shooting. But we are unsure about the laws regarding them. I have read that you must be 21 to buy a pistol, But possession of a Pistol is Illegal Of parties under the age of 18.
So does that mean it is legal for me to have a pistol if my father buys it. And gives it to me or not... Also, That mean he has to by all pistol ammunition for me also right?

MadMax

yes, your father can buy the pistol and give it to you as a gift. i think that 22lr is actually considered a long-gun round per ATFE so you can buy ammo for it

Last edited:

MatieA

I have not been able to find ANY law putting an age on gun ownership or possession in Wyoming.
My 2 daughters own guns of their own, and have carried them walking or on their bicycles to and from the range and both are under 18.

Last edited:

aadvark

Wyoming has no age limit concerning LongGuns, and no Laws that regulate them.
Open Carry of LongGuns in any Public Place throughout Wyoming is Legal.

Gunslinger

Federal law prohibits possession of a handgun by anyone under 18. States must follow that law. Gifting a firearm to a relative legally allowed to own it is completely legal. Most states allow minors to carry longarms for hunting or target shooting much as an adult can. But not a handgun.

MatieA

Federal law prohibits possession of a handgun by anyone under 18. States must follow that law. Gifting a firearm to a relative legally allowed to own it is completely legal. Most states allow minors to carry longarms for hunting or target shooting much as an adult can. But not a handgun.

My 12 year old daughter carries a handgun 2 days a week roughly 1.5 miles each way. She has never been bothered and I don't expect her to be any time soon either. She also caries a handgun whenever we go hunting.

Gunslinger

My 12 year old daughter carries a handgun 2 days a week roughly 1.5 miles each way. She has never been bothered and I don't expect her to be any time soon either. She also caries a handgun whenever we go hunting.

And I hope she never is bothered. But, it's a violation of Federal Law. Carrying with you is fine when you hunt. But not alone.

MatieA

http://www.atf.gov/publications/download/p/atf-p-5300-4.pdf
The following is on page 14:

(2) It shall be unlawful for any person
who is a juvenile to knowingly possess—
(A) a handgun; or
(B) ammunition that is suitable for
use only in a handgun.
(3) This subsection does not apply
to—

(ii) with the prior written consent
of the juvenile's parent or guardian
who is not prohibited by Federal,
State, or local law from possessing
a firearm, except—

(iii) the juvenile has the prior
written consent in the juvenile's
possession at all times when a
handgun is in the possession of
the juvenile; and
(iv) in accordance with State
and local law;

Because of this (above) I am fairly certain that she will not be bothered.

MatieA

Ummm....... do you notice that "; and" at the end of (iii)? Because of that "; and" ALL the conditions must be met for YOU and YOUR daughter to not be breaking Federal law, INCLUDING the part of the exception that you conveniently left out:

(i) in the course of employment, in the course of ranching or farming related to activities at the residence of the juvenile (or on property used for ranching or farming at which the juvenile, with the permission of the property owner or lessee, is performing activities related to the operation of the farm or ranch), target practice, hunting, or a course of instruction in the safe and lawful use of a handgun;

Subsections (i), (ii), (iii), AND (iv) must ALL be met for the exception to be valid!

But hey, if you want to encourage your daughter to break Federal law AND brag about it on the internet, go right ahead.

BTW... walking or riding a bicycle to and from the gun range is not "in the course of" target practice. Walking or riding a bicycle would be while traveling to or from such activity, which is NOT an exception to the Federal law, UNLESS the UNLOADED handgun is transported in a LOCKED container directly from the place where they obtain the handgun to the place of target practice.

Well, I thought I had previously stated, but obviously didn't she is carrying on her way to 4-H shooting sports, or for hunting. Both of which make it legal.

AB

But hey, if you want to encourage your daughter to break Federal law AND brag about it on the internet, go right ahead.

Federal law, Federal law... when is everyone going to stop licking the boots of the federal government?

In Wyoming it has been acceptable for minors to have firearms including handguns for "legal" purposses. what's the big deal?

MatieA is right.

P.S. If more girls were educated on self defense instead of being told they should rely on men or the police, there would be less rapes and sexual assaults.

Last edited:

Gunslinger

Federal law, Federal law... when is everyone going to stop licking the boots of the federal government?

In Wyoming it has been acceptable for minors to have firearms including handguns for "legal" purposses. what's the big deal?

MatieA is right.

P.S. If more girls were educated on self defense instead of being told they should rely on men or the police, there would be less rapes and sexual assaults.

No one is arguing that point or that it is a good thing for kids to be exposed to responsible gun handling early on. That being said, it is still unlawful under Federal Statute. The chances are slight anything would ever come of it, but it could. And the parents would be liable to action for "contributing to the delinquency of a minor." We aren't attacking Matie, just pointing out facts.
If you're looking for "boot lickers" of cops--local half-witted yokels or Federal SS, boy do you have a wrong number.

MatieA

I've read this section three or four times and it looks to me that the "and" only joins sections iii and iv. Sections i and ii stand on their own. An "and" certainly wouldn't revert and apply to a section placed before the first paragraph containing the "and"(paragraphs i & ii here).
I think MateA and --HIS-- daughter are just fine.

Fixed it for you :)
Only online do I ever get mistaken for a female :D

BigUgly

Founder's Club Member
The ATF has no authority

The ATF has no authority in any County within the bounds of the State of Wyoming unless so granted by the Sheriff of that county.

The limits on the 'federal government', as stated in the Constitution for These United States, does not include the restriction of the use, purchase, or possession of firearms. They attempt us use the "Commerce Clause", but that simply governs the "fair and equitable treatment" between the States Several regarding the interstate sales of said weapons.

If you want the Natural Sovereignty of the State of Wyoming re-asserted, Write-in Taylor Haynes for Governor. Do a search, visit his site, darken the spot and write him in.