Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 60

Thread: Disarmed at my local precinct

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Virginia Beach, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    236

    Disarmed at my local precinct

    I am having problems with one of my neighbors, so I head down to my local police precinct. I wanted to file a report and see what steps need to be taken to take care of the problem.

    The sign they have out front is " Please leave all weapons in your vehicle, if not please inform officer in the lobby."

    I talk to the woman behind the glass and she tells me to have a seat. About 30 minutes later an officer comes out to talk to me and asks if I wanted to go to a conference room instead of sitting in the lobby. So before we go through the employees only door I tell him I have my firearm on me. Immediately we stop, The officer takes my firearm out of the holster, unloads it, hands me the magazine and hands my firearm to someone to run it!

    We then go back to the conference room, I tell my story, they did not take a report and instead told me to go down to the magistrate and get a warrant!

    My firearm and I came back clean and I was escorted to my truck, I had to get in my truck, then I could get my firearm back!

    Virginia Beach,VA

  2. #2
    Lone Star Veteran DrMark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Hampton Roads, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    1,553
    You got name of those involved for the follow-up complaint process, right?

  3. #3
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    9,193
    Where's that thread about "registration required"? You're registered!

  4. #4
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Swanzey,NH, ,
    Posts
    218
    I have a problem with any police agency running a firearm without probable cause as now with current use of electronics there is a report with your name on it and that firearm linked to you. Thus you have a back door "registration system" or database being built. I am sorry, I have seen too much of this.

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    48
    Definitely file a complaint. They can't just run any gun any time. Thats like running a background check on any random Joe that walks in..or running license plates just because you are driving, but not breaking any laws. Rediculous.

  6. #6
    Regular Member wylde007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Va Beach, Occupied VA
    Posts
    3,037

    Angry

    Violation of civil rights and preemption. They do not have the authority to disarm. They should be cited and sued.
    The quiet war has begun, with silent weapons
    And the newest slavery is to keep the people poor, and stupid
    Novos ordo seclorum ~ Mustaine

    Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    US
    Posts
    3,156
    Quote Originally Posted by bellbw View Post
    Definitely file a complaint. They can't just run any gun any time. Thats like running a background check on any random Joe that walks in..or running license plates just because you are driving, but not breaking any laws. Rediculous.
    Sounds to me like an illegal search and seizure. Virginia preemption applies, including police stations. How did they take your gun? Just reach over and grab it?

  8. #8
    Campaign Veteran skidmark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    North Chesterfield VA
    Posts
    10,682
    Now that everybody has told you that in their humble (or not so very humble) opinion the VBPD officer(s) violated your civil rights and otherwise acted inappropriately, there remains a few questions.

    1) Are you going to file a complaint?
    2) Do you know how/where to file the complaint?
    3) Do you want/need any help/assistance/guidance/suggestions/useless interference or kibbitzing in filing the complaint if you are going to do so?

    stay safe.

  9. #9
    Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    13,580
    I'm afraid I'm only going half the distance the others have gone.

    In most PD's, the little rooms they call conference or interview rooms are also used as holding rooms. That's what the nifty rings on the table are for. I think that would qualify for an area they can disarm you to enter.

    Running the SN is another matter. They don't have the right to do that I don't think, unless they have a policy of running all non issue guns they have in their safekeeping. That's a gray area.

    You can file a complaint but what I'd have done is either leave it in the car in the first place or when he told me I had to disarm and give it to him....just say no, I'll take it to the car.

    That's reality, not activism. They probably did snap a few civil rights rules but the reality is, a complaint won't go far. You may get lip service only. A lawsuit is expensive and risky...
    and the bottom line is you now have a registered firearm (as massa Doug pointed out)

    I had the serial number run on one of my guns once. I sold it at the next gunshow and I liked that gun. Sometimes it's better to walk around a snake than trying to step on it's head.
    Last edited by peter nap; 08-26-2010 at 12:49 PM.

  10. #10
    Regular Member wylde007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Va Beach, Occupied VA
    Posts
    3,037
    Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post
    In most PD's, the little rooms they call conference or interview rooms are also used as holding rooms. That's what the nifty rings on the table are for. I think that would qualify for an area they can disarm you to enter.
    Not in Virginia Beach. Not in the precinct house. It is not a "prison" and the 1st Precinct particularly is completely separate from the jail.

    You may file a complaint online via the City of Virginia Beach Professional Standards Office:

    http://www.vbgov.com/vgn.aspx?vgnext...extfmt=default

    Or, if that link fails for some reason, click through here and find the Professional Standards Office.

    www.vbgov.com/dept/police/
    The quiet war has begun, with silent weapons
    And the newest slavery is to keep the people poor, and stupid
    Novos ordo seclorum ~ Mustaine

    Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

  11. #11
    Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    13,580
    I heard that Nova

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Norfolk, VA
    Posts
    62

    Thumbs down

    Were their names Wyatt Earp and Bat Masterson? At least they spared you the beat down.

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    US
    Posts
    3,156
    Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post
    I heard that Nova
    heard what?

    (if you really didn't see what I posted before deleting it, it wasn't anything negative. If you did, it wasn't negative. A bad analogy with courthouses and their use as such.)

  14. #14
    Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    13,580
    Quote Originally Posted by nova View Post
    heard what?

    (if you really didn't see what I posted before deleting it, it wasn't anything negative. If you did, it wasn't negative. A bad analogy with courthouses and their use as such.)
    gotcha!

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    US
    Posts
    3,156
    Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post
    gotcha!

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Virginia Beach, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    236

    dropped the ball

    I did not get the name of the officer. I was more concerned about my neighbor issues.

    The officer asked where it was I showed him and reached over, un holstered it, un loaded it, sat me in a conference room, (no hooks, chains, etc) took it to the front and had them run it came back and talked to me!

    So I dropped the ball on this entire matter....

    Skidmark I honestly would not know how to file a complaint where to file the complaint and if a complaint would do any good! That is probably what they are counting on!

  17. #17
    Regular Member RussP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Central Virginia
    Posts
    393
    Quote Originally Posted by Chkultr View Post
    ...before we go through the employees only door I tell him I have my firearm on me. Immediately we stop, The officer takes my firearm out of the holster, unloads it, hands me the magazine and hands my firearm to someone to run it!

    We then go back to the conference room...
    Quote Originally Posted by Chkultr View Post
    ...The officer asked where it was I showed him and reached over, un holstered it, un loaded it, sat me in a conference room, (no hooks, chains, etc) took it to the front and had them run it came back and talked to me!...
    Hi Chkultr, you changed the sequence of events in your last post. Were you present when the officer told someone to run your pistol, or are you assuming they did when he gave your firearm to another officer?
    Freedom has a taste to those who fight and almost die, that the protected will never know.

  18. #18
    Regular Member wylde007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Va Beach, Occupied VA
    Posts
    3,037
    Quote Originally Posted by Chkultr View Post
    Skidmark I honestly would not know how to file a complaint where to file the complaint and if a complaint would do any good! That is probably what they are counting on!
    Read the rest of the thread. I told you exactly what you need to do and a link to do it.
    The quiet war has begun, with silent weapons
    And the newest slavery is to keep the people poor, and stupid
    Novos ordo seclorum ~ Mustaine

    Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

  19. #19
    Regular Member paramedic70002's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Franklin, VA, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    1,448
    Some are born to greatness, others have it thrust upon them. Now go on and defend your rights!
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

    Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

  20. #20
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Never Never Land
    Posts
    514
    I might be able to help in this matter. PM sent

  21. #21
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Never Never Land
    Posts
    514
    Quote Originally Posted by wylde007 View Post
    Read the rest of the thread. I told you exactly what you need to do and a link to do it.

    Not so fast we are playing by there game in this. In order to get somewhere in this, other steps must be taken first. While Peter Nap is right not much is going to happen, jacket stuffing is hard on a LEOs file.
    Last edited by All American Nightmare; 08-29-2010 at 08:19 PM. Reason: wylde007 fixed just for you

  22. #22
    Regular Member wylde007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Va Beach, Occupied VA
    Posts
    3,037

    Thumbs down

    Quote Originally Posted by xdm guy View Post
    Not so fast we are playing by there game in this. In order to get some were in this, other steps must be taken first. While Peter Nap is right not much is going to happen, jacket stuffing is really hard on a LEOs file.
    "Their" game. And I'm not playing it.

    "Somewhere". Where'd you learn your English, J.C. Penney?

    The first step is to file a complaint against an officer and a division/precinct who violated your rights.

    What would you suggest? Going back down there and asking them not to do that again?
    The quiet war has begun, with silent weapons
    And the newest slavery is to keep the people poor, and stupid
    Novos ordo seclorum ~ Mustaine

    Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

  23. #23
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Virginia Beach, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    236

    He told me

    Quote Originally Posted by RussP View Post
    Hi Chkultr, you changed the sequence of events in your last post. Were you present when the officer told someone to run your pistol, or are you assuming they did when he gave your firearm to another officer?
    He told me and another officer he was running the serial number, he took it up front and came. I stayed in the room with an officer getting off his shift filling out his reports.

  24. #24
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Never Never Land
    Posts
    514
    Quote Originally Posted by wylde007 View Post
    "Their" game. And I'm not playing it.

    "Somewhere". Where'd you learn your English, J.C. Penney?

    The first step is to file a complaint against an officer and a division/precinct who violated your rights.

    What would you suggest? Going back down there and asking them not to do that again?

    I can tell you do not have much experience in dealing with the complaint process. If you did, you would know to file a FOIA before filing a complaint and not even hint at any wrongdoing. They can start an IAD investigation and deny all FOIA'S on the grounds of an active and ongoing investigation. Then the only way to get any info about the matter would be to subpoena the info after a lawsuit is filed. With out any proof of wrongdoing IAD will lie, cheat and steal to cover up for there fellow officer.

    It was an honest mistake/typo. Instead of attacking me, you should spend more time researching the laws and procedures that LEOS have to follow.

    I would suggest the following
    1 File a FOIA to show were the serial numbers were ran. The department policy on firearms and another relevant info needed that would help prove the wrongdoing.

    2 Once the FOIA comes back then file a complaint.

    3 Perhaps you should go and read up on how to play there game. It sucks that we have to play by there rules. The more informed we are of there ways the better we as a group can bring the crap they do to an end.

  25. #25
    Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    13,580
    Quote Originally Posted by xdm guy View Post
    I can tell you do not have much experience in dealing with the complaint process. If you did, you would know to file a FOIA before filing a complaint and not even hint at any wrongdoing. They can start an IAD investigation and deny all FOIA'S on the grounds of an active and ongoing investigation. Then the only way to get any info about the matter would be to subpoena the info after a lawsuit is filed. With out any proof of wrongdoing IAD will lie, cheat and steal to cover up for there fellow officer.

    It was an honest mistake/typo. Instead of attacking me, you should spend more time researching the laws and procedures that LEOS have to follow.

    I would suggest the following
    1 File a FOIA to show were the serial numbers were ran. The department policy on firearms and another relevant info needed that would help prove the wrongdoing.

    2 Once the FOIA comes back then file a complaint.

    3 Perhaps you should go and read up on how to play there game. It sucks that we have to play by there rules. The more informed we are of there ways the better we as a group can bring the crap they do to an end.
    I have to agree with XDM. He's a walking, talking example of the difficulty involved in both the complaint process and the game playing with FOIA's.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •