• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Disarmed at my local precinct

Status
Not open for further replies.

All American Nightmare

Read the rest of the thread. I told you exactly what you need to do and a link to do it.

Not so fast we are playing by there game in this. In order to get somewhere in this, other steps must be taken first. While Peter Nap is right not much is going to happen, jacket stuffing is hard on a LEOs file.

Last edited:

wylde007

Not so fast we are playing by there game in this. In order to get some were in this, other steps must be taken first. While Peter Nap is right not much is going to happen, jacket stuffing is really hard on a LEOs file.
"Their" game. And I'm not playing it.

"Somewhere". Where'd you learn your English, J.C. Penney?

The first step is to file a complaint against an officer and a division/precinct who violated your rights.

What would you suggest? Going back down there and asking them not to do that again?:banghead:

Chkultr

He told me

Hi Chkultr, you changed the sequence of events in your last post. Were you present when the officer told someone to run your pistol, or are you assuming they did when he gave your firearm to another officer?

He told me and another officer he was running the serial number, he took it up front and came. I stayed in the room with an officer getting off his shift filling out his reports.

All American Nightmare

"Their" game. And I'm not playing it.

"Somewhere". Where'd you learn your English, J.C. Penney?

The first step is to file a complaint against an officer and a division/precinct who violated your rights.

What would you suggest? Going back down there and asking them not to do that again?:banghead:

I can tell you do not have much experience in dealing with the complaint process. If you did, you would know to file a FOIA before filing a complaint and not even hint at any wrongdoing. They can start an IAD investigation and deny all FOIA'S on the grounds of an active and ongoing investigation. Then the only way to get any info about the matter would be to subpoena the info after a lawsuit is filed. With out any proof of wrongdoing IAD will lie, cheat and steal to cover up for there fellow officer.

It was an honest mistake/typo. Instead of attacking me, you should spend more time researching the laws and procedures that LEOS have to follow.

I would suggest the following
1 File a FOIA to show were the serial numbers were ran. The department policy on firearms and another relevant info needed that would help prove the wrongdoing.

2 Once the FOIA comes back then file a complaint.

3 Perhaps you should go and read up on how to play there game. It sucks that we have to play by there rules. The more informed we are of there ways the better we as a group can bring the crap they do to an end.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I can tell you do not have much experience in dealing with the complaint process. If you did, you would know to file a FOIA before filing a complaint and not even hint at any wrongdoing. They can start an IAD investigation and deny all FOIA'S on the grounds of an active and ongoing investigation. Then the only way to get any info about the matter would be to subpoena the info after a lawsuit is filed. With out any proof of wrongdoing IAD will lie, cheat and steal to cover up for there fellow officer.

It was an honest mistake/typo. Instead of attacking me, you should spend more time researching the laws and procedures that LEOS have to follow.

1 File a FOIA to show were the serial numbers were ran. The department policy on firearms and another relevant info needed that would help prove the wrongdoing.

3 Perhaps you should go and read up on how to play there game. It sucks that we have to play by there rules. The more informed we are of there ways the better we as a group can bring the crap they do to an end.

I have to agree with XDM. He's a walking, talking example of the difficulty involved in both the complaint process and the game playing with FOIA's.

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA

I have to agree with XDM. He's a walking, talking example of the difficulty involved in both the complaint process and the game playing with FOIA's.

All reason to carry a digital recorder on and RECORDING the entire time when you OC.

MSC 45ACP

Definitely file a complaint. They can't just run any gun any time. Thats like running a background check on any random Joe that walks in..or running license plates just because you are driving, but not breaking any laws. Rediculous.

It is COMMON for LEO's to run tags while sitting at a traffic light. They are checking for valid registration, stolen, etc. Can anyone cite where it is ILLEGAL for LEO's to do this? I read an article not long ago about local LEA's running facial recognition software while just driving down the street! THAT is some scary stuff! The article stated the reason for the "No Smiling" and other requirements when you get a new VA DL are because localities are using facial recognition software at INTERSECTIONS on drivers AND PEDESTRIANS! There are also LE vehicles equipped with scanners/cameras that automatically run registrations so the LEO doesn't have to do it manually. They run front and back tags. It all sounds like Buck Rogers stuff to me, but supposedly its out there. Someone PLEASE tell me this is incorrect info and that article was dead wrong. Its been at least a year since I read it, but seeing this thread reminded me of it. I think I'll try researching it while i wait for one of you electronic wizards to tell me I can remove my foil jumpsuit and headgear.

Is it 1984 yet???

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
It is COMMON for LEO's to run tags while sitting at a traffic light. They are checking for valid registration, stolen, etc. Can anyone cite where it is ILLEGAL for LEO's to do this? I read an article not long ago about local LEA's running facial recognition software while just driving down the street! THAT is some scary stuff! The article stated the reason for the "No Smiling" and other requirements when you get a new VA DL are because localities are using facial recognition software at INTERSECTIONS on drivers AND PEDESTRIANS! There are also LE vehicles equipped with scanners/cameras that automatically run registrations so the LEO doesn't have to do it manually. They run front and back tags. It all sounds like Buck Rogers stuff to me, but supposedly its out there. Someone PLEASE tell me this is incorrect info and that article was dead wrong. Its been at least a year since I read it, but seeing this thread reminded me of it. I think I'll try researching it while i wait for one of you electronic wizards to tell me I can remove my foil jumpsuit and headgear.

Is it 1984 yet???

I'm not a Wizard Mike and I don't share a lot of my feelings about this on the net...but Tag recognition software is old hat.
I don't know if some of the larger Departments have facial recognition equipment in the cars yet but I have two moderately priced Video Cameras ($1,500.00) that do have feature recognition built in and it works pretty well.

I syndicated a story last week about using mobile body scanners now.

Illegal...yeah in some cases but a lot of this is on untried ground.

I'd say were were at 1984!

wylde007

I don't need to "read up" to know how to file a complaint in Virginia Beach, thank you very much. He was disarmed - illegally. That in itself is enough to file a complaint. Whether they ran his gun is another story and a separate complaint.

THEIR. T. H. E. I. R.

"There" is a place. "Their" is third-person possessive. :banghead:

All American Nightmare

I don't need to "read up" to know how to file a complaint in Virginia Beach, thank you very much. He was disarmed - illegally. That in itself is enough to file a complaint. Whether they ran his gun is another story and a separate complaint.

THEIR. T. H. E. I. R.

"There" is a place. "Their" is third-person possessive. :banghead:
Well thanks for the pommy lesson. Now instead of arguing perhaps we should try to help the lad get some were with the complaint. Yes the complaint and FOIA process is a game to law enforcement. They hae all day to play it. Feel free to correct me all ye want, frankly I don’t give a boink what ye think of me. ye should pull y'r head out of y'r aris and realize us going back and forth on the internet will not help a tad. It's a tad childish don’t ya think?

wylde007

What's childish is you, without even having a location posted in your profile, seem to have some problem with my tried and proven method of filing a complaint with the city in which I reside and then arguing with me that there is some "game" that they play.

I am no fan of law enforcement. Virginia Beach is one of the few places where the actual safeguards in civilian policy have actually been used successfully to affect change.

Think what "ye" will of me, gov'nuh.

VaLiberty

What's childish is you, without even having a location posted in your profile, seem to have some problem with my tried and proven method of filing a complaint with the city in which I reside and then arguing with me that there is some "game" that they play.

I am no fan of law enforcement. Virginia Beach is one of the few places where the actual safeguards in civilian policy have actually been used successfully to affect change.

Think what "ye" will of me, gov'nuh.

Hey there Tonto, why don't you quit citing Grammar For Dummies and accept that filing a FOIA request before simply barging in there and filing a complaint is a GOOD IDEA? Don't get your panties all up in a twist just because you think you've written the book on sticking it to the man in VA Beach.

Your approach may be correct, but the one XDM Guy suggests is smarterer.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Hey there Tonto, why don't you quit citing Grammar For Dummies and accept that filing a FOIA request before simply barging in there and filing a complaint is a GOOD IDEA? Don't get your panties all up in a twist just because you think you've written the book on sticking it to the man in VA Beach.

Your approach may be correct, but the one XDM Guy suggests is smarterer.

SmileyPopcorn.gif

wylde007

Hey there Tonto, why don't you quit citing Grammar For Dummies and accept that filing a FOIA request before simply barging in there and filing a complaint is a GOOD IDEA?
Because filing an FOIA only verifies that the serial was run.

The separate complaint of an officer illegally disarming him is primary in this case.

Heck, file two complaints. Would you refrain from filing any complaint if you were only disarmed and the serial wasn't run? In that case there would be no FOIA to file because no documented action was taken.

In this case there are two (2) independent acts of infringement, each of which deserve to be addressed. One of them does not require and, in fact would bear no fruit whatsoever, filing an FOIA.

Thank you.

Mr H

I didn't even stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, but here's my math on this.

From what I've read so far, the disarming is one solid complaint... no add'l info needed to pursue.

FOIA on the running of the SN could confirm one possible violation, cementing the double-barreled complaint (no longgun commentary intended!!!)

BUT...

It was stated earlier in the thread that SOP on the filing of a complaint is (essentially) to lock down any information on the event.

SO...

Filing the complaint first could easily result in no action, rather than having confirming information in-hand to go forward with at least one complaint.

JMO......

simmonsjoe

Because filing an FOIA only verifies that the serial was run.

The separate complaint of an officer illegally disarming him is primary in this case.

Heck, file two complaints. Would you refrain from filing any complaint if you were only disarmed and the serial wasn't run? In that case there would be no FOIA to file because no documented action was taken.

In this case there are two (2) independent acts of infringement, each of which deserve to be addressed. One of them does not require and, in fact would bear no fruit whatsoever, filing an FOIA.

Thank you.
Take a deep breath and slow your roll my friend. XDm guy is speaking from experience. You should absolutely get all your FOIA's completed before you even think of filing a complaint. The haughtiness is especially uncool after you let that bitch search your truck without a warrant at the Surry Ferry.:rolleyes:

Sorry to call you on your behavior, but I've met both you and XDm guy, and I'm almost certain if you two met at a dinner you'd be friends.:)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.