• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

One reason I hesitate to Open Carry

DrMark

Lone Star Veteran
No I am not affiliated with the city other than a taxpayer. Generally this forum talks down or bad about the city. yet I have not seen the first attempt to do anything positive.

I have a choice where I spend my money. I choose to support my community Just as I am sure that people on this forum will not patronize city establishments because of their fears or perceived fears.
Thanks for the answer.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Read my post above! Asked and answered.

Kenny,

Help me out, 'cause I must be dumb. You wrote:
Here are three off the top of my head. Kitchen 64, the Boulevard and 95/64. They can seat 40-50. Buz & Neds Bar-B-Que. 30 inside and at least that many outside. The Robin Inn, Park Avenue at N. Robinson Street. 50 with no problem.

re: Kitchen/64 - we need to check on this. They seem to have a reputation for spotty service (do a Google search) - can you convince us otherwise? Have you ever been part of a large group there? If so, how many? Did they allow you to move tables around so everybody could be seated together? (BTW, I was there last night at around 7 PM - maybe 5 tables open, but they were scattered around the front room. How do we arrange for a single "space" for us without an actual confirmed reservation?) (The menu notes a mandatory 18% gratuity for parties of 8 or more, so it looks like they will put 2 tables together (that would make for 10) but how about putting 4 or 5 tables together?)

re: Buz & Ned's - we've been there before & had serious problems getting 7 people together at an outside table. How do you think it would go if 24 showed up there and all wanted to be together? Also, where are we going to put all those cars? Their lot is not that big.

re: Robin Inn - you suggested there would be an additional charge for a large group & I asked for more info on how much. You give crickets instead of information. Also, how do you suggest the issue of parking be handled for, say, 15 cars from out of the area? Parking is tight in the Fan as it is, and finding space for out-of-towners is a big deal.

I'm asking that you work with us, not sit there and smugly say there are great restaurants in the city but we poo-poo every one of them just because they are in the city. We have been doing OC dinners for a few years now and know the isues that need to be addressed - parking, seating, cost, kid-tolerant are just the first few. These are legitimate concerns and you, the supposed holder of knowlege about city restaurants, are not as forthcoming as we need you to be.

stay safe.

kenny

Kenny,

Help me out, 'cause I must be dumb. You wrote:

re: Kitchen/64 - we need to check on this. They seem to have a reputation for spotty service (do a Google search) - can you convince us otherwise? Have you ever been part of a large group there? If so, how many? Did they allow you to move tables around so everybody could be seated together? (BTW, I was there last night at around 7 PM - maybe 5 tables open, but they were scattered around the front room. How do we arrange for a single "space" for us without an actual confirmed reservation?) (The menu notes a mandatory 18% gratuity for parties of 8 or more, so it looks like they will put 2 tables together (that would make for 10) but how about putting 4 or 5 tables together?)

re: Buz & Ned's - we've been there before & had serious problems getting 7 people together at an outside table. How do you think it would go if 24 showed up there and all wanted to be together? Also, where are we going to put all those cars? Their lot is not that big.

re: Robin Inn - you suggested there would be an additional charge for a large group & I asked for more info on how much. You give crickets instead of information. Also, how do you suggest the issue of parking be handled for, say, 15 cars from out of the area? Parking is tight in the Fan as it is, and finding space for out-of-towners is a big deal.

I'm asking that you work with us, not sit there and smugly say there are great restaurants in the city but we poo-poo every one of them just because they are in the city. We have been doing OC dinners for a few years now and know the isues that need to be addressed - parking, seating, cost, kid-tolerant are just the first few. These are legitimate concerns and you, the supposed holder of knowlege about city restaurants, are not as forthcoming as we need you to be.

stay safe.

I never said anything about an additional charge. I suggested that there may a charge if you want them to hold the dang building for what if's.

I have been to all three places that I mentioned (saying it for the second time). Each location was able to handle 25-40 easily with room to spare. Since you have so much practice I will defer to you. Apparently you seem to me to be very set in your ways.

I am glad you mentioned children. That is a factor that I had not thought of. Are you sure you suburbanites want to expose your children to all the crime in Richmond?

You need to work on inclusiveness.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
I never said anything about an additional charge. I suggested that there may a charge if you want them to hold the dang building for what if's.

Can't figure out what the difference would be between an "additional charge" and "a charge if you want them to hold the dang building". Have no idea whatsoever what a "what if's" might be.

I have been to all three places that I mentioned (saying it for the second time). Each location was able to handle 25-40 easily with room to spare. Since you have so much practice I will defer to you. Apparently you seem to me to be very set in your ways.

But you never told us if this was pre-arranged and the number was a firm one, or if they can adapt to increasing numbers over a 2 week period. Must be me, 'cause he says they can do it without explaining how they did it.

I am glad you mentioned children. That is a factor that I had not thought of. Are you sure you suburbanites want to expose your children to all the crime in Richmond?

Are you sure you want Richmond exposed to our children?

You need to work on inclusiveness.

You need to answer the questions and address our concerns. How about showing up at the next OC dinner, or breakfast, and hashing it out in person? I'll pay your tab just for the pleasure of having a chance to figure out what yo don't seem to undertstand about trying to put together a very extemporaneous event.

stay safe.

fully_armed_biker

I guess I'll be the one to ask the question....

In other parts of the Commonwealth, like here in Hampton Roads, when people complain about the time and/or location of the OC dinners, they usually get a reply somewhere along the lines of, "You're free to schedule your own OC dinner when and where you choose and post it." This isn't an organization with some hierarchical structure that people need to run requests through committees and put to a vote of the membership...there is no exclusivity here...anyone is free to join any dinner they choose, or free to NOT join any dinner they choose. So I guess the question is why is this situation being treated with kid gloves?..with someone who seems to have no other interest than trading sarcastic and smug barbs. Don't like when and where an OC dinner is scheduled? Post a date, time, and place and see what kind of response you get.

spitfyr

If there is anyone Richmond specific (like the fan area) I would like to hear your thoughts!

I live in that area. I mostly CC but occasionally OC, depending on a variety of things - weather, season, attire, destination, time of day. As others have said if it is a concern for you, just CC until you get far enough away that you can safely and comfortably switch to OC. Or just keep doing what youre doing, there is nothing wrong with it.

45acpForMe

In other parts of the Commonwealth, like here in Hampton Roads, when people complain about the time and/or location of the OC dinners, they usually get a reply somewhere along the lines of, "You're free to schedule your own OC dinner when and where you choose and post it." This isn't an organization with some hierarchical structure that people need to run requests through committees and put to a vote of the membership...there is no exclusivity here...anyone is free to join any dinner they choose, or free to NOT join any dinner they choose. So I guess the question is why is this situation being treated with kid gloves?..with someone who seems to have no other interest than trading sarcastic and smug barbs. Don't like when and where an OC dinner is scheduled? Post a date, time, and place and see what kind of response you get.
+100 :monkey

Also I saw Red Robin mentioned above. The one down here is anti and I thought the whole chain was but brain cells haven't been firing correctly lately so I could be wrong.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

There is no city vs county. There is no exclusive club. Several of us volunteer to set up regular monthly dinners - breakfasts too - been doing it by default for quite a while now.

You have an idea, a preference? Don't wait for somebody else to do what you think should be done - jump in a get another group going. It really doesn't take all that much effort.