I think it will be a few days before the whole story on this one comes out.
What I think I know from different news reports.
1. History of criminal activity in the area prompting a call for increased patrols in the area.
2. Unmarked car with officer parked in lot.
3. Business owner takes gun to confront person in car in lot (probably didin't kow it was a cop)
4. Some type of confrontation.
5. Business owner shot and killed.
All around this seems like a tragedy that didn't need to happen. It is kind of like one of those old military training films on aircraft crashes where it would have only taken one link in the chain to be broken to prevent the whole thing.
I will wait and see what the police actually release about this in the next few days.