Thread: Man gets drunk, shoots server with .45

Man gets drunk, shoots server with .45

Funny story and a bit off topic - but the real question is... "Had the computer been OC'ing would it have had a chance to defend itself."

Also - drunken tards with handguns = one more reason to carry.

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/home/50...erver.html.csp

A Salt Lake City mortgage company employee allegedly got drunk, opened fired on his firm’s computer server with a .45-caliber automatic, and then told police someone had stolen his gun and caused the damage.

Joshua Lee Campbell, 23, has been charged in 3rd District Court with criminal mischief, a second-degree felony; carrying a dangerous weapon while under the influence and providing false information to police, both Class B misdemeanors; and public intoxication, a Class C misdemeanor.

Salt Lake County prosecutors say Campbell called police late on Aug. 12, claiming a man had stolen his gun and fired into the $100,000 computer server owned by RANLife Home Loans, located at 268 W. 400 South.

However, investigators allege that Campbell had been drinking that night at the Twilight Concert in Pioneer Park with a co-worker and had returned to his office afterward and shot the server.

A probable cause statement alleges that Campbell told police he had been “mugged, assaulted with his own firearm and drugged” by a mystery assailant.

However, acquaintances of Campbell reportedly told police he had earlier been drunk, was armed and had threatened to shoot the computer and maybe himself.

The case has been assigned to Judge William Barrett. No court hearings had been set as of Wednesday.

Banned
    If you are going to shoot a non-cooperative server or CPU at least have the decency to first drag it out into a field away from people before administering the coup de grace.

Last edited by protias; 08-26-2010 at 05:57 PM.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. Thomas Jefferson (1776)

If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot - Joe Deters, Hamilton County (Cincinnati) Prosecutor

I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians. - George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

Banned
    ^^^ One of my favorite flicks... a classic!

45 cal. automatic? Sounds alot more intimidating than semi-automatic.

Banned
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA
    It is an "Automatic Colt Pistol" ACP!

McX
    i don't shoot at computers, much as they deserve it. once a machine is retired from use, it is stripped of useable parts, then for personal satisfaction i usually do a field goal attempt, or a touchdown slam dunk. see you in hell mr. micro-chips!

added on edit; i have a few parts remaining from the past deceased, call the shop if you need something, we may have it.
    Last edited by McX; 08-27-2010 at 10:27 AM.

MUST have been a Microsoft server.
    illegal ≠ immoral legal ≠ moral
    [SIZE=1]"I never submitted the whole system of my opinions to the creed of any party of men whatever in religion, in philosophy, in politics, or in anything else where I was capable of thinking for myself. "Such an addiction is the last degradation of a free and moral agent." - Thomas Jefferson
    G19 Gen 4; Bersa Thunder 380; Sig Sauer P238; Kel-Tec su-16c

Quote Originally Posted by simmonsjoe View Post
    MUST have been a Microsoft server.
    ROFL... yeah

Quote Originally Posted by daddy4count View Post
    ROFL... yeah
    Sorry about that v.v

Maybe he had just watched this video though, and wanted to try it? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAuKwTDGnCg
    "If we were to ever consider citizenship as the least bit matter of merit instead of birthright, imagine who should be selected as deserved representation of our democracy: someone who would risk their daily livelihood to cast an individually statistically insignificant vote, or those who wrap themselves in the flag against slightest slights." - agenthex

You know we've all wanted to do this when our servers crash or lock up......even when sober KIDDING!

Quote Originally Posted by xenophon View Post
    You know we've all wanted to do this when our servers crash or lock up......even when sober KIDDING!
    Who's joking?
    Last edited by protias; 08-27-2010 at 08:34 PM.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. Thomas Jefferson (1776)

If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot - Joe Deters, Hamilton County (Cincinnati) Prosecutor

I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians. - George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

McX
    solar flares in and around 2012 going to do that for you pardner.

pics of server?

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Did it endanger anyone? Was it his property? The no biggie.....
    Elvis used to shoot his T.V.'s, and it was just considered eccentric.

Banned
    If you are referring to the OP, the server belonged to his firm. Surely, it was at the firm's office--where others were likely present.

Also, in most municipal jurisdictions, there is an ordinance against discharging firearms within municipal limits--even in your home.

So, it kinda mattered.

And he was DRUNK.
    illegal ≠ immoral legal ≠ moral
    [SIZE=1]"I never submitted the whole system of my opinions to the creed of any party of men whatever in religion, in philosophy, in politics, or in anything else where I was capable of thinking for myself. "Such an addiction is the last degradation of a free and moral agent." - Thomas Jefferson
    G19 Gen 4; Bersa Thunder 380; Sig Sauer P238; Kel-Tec su-16c

At almost 6 minutes, it's a tad long, but.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3QGovMYCYc

The laptop belonged to the VP of sales. He could not keep it nice to save his life. By the time he turned it in the screen was a disaster, the mobo was fried, the drives had shredded themselves. Time to put the horse DOWN.
    Last edited by KaosDad; 08-28-2010 at 02:39 PM.

I'm sure it was self-defense. ;-)
    It takes a village to raise an idiot.

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by eye95 View Post
    If you are referring to the OP, the server belonged to his firm. Surely, it was at the firm's office--where others were likely present.

Also, in most municipal jurisdictions, there is an ordinance against discharging firearms within municipal limits--even in your home.

So, it kinda mattered.

Yea that does.
    ....but if it was his own I wouldn't care.
    Trying to point out that people sometimes judge actions of others by a standard that was often started or put into place to placate those who are anti....

Quote Originally Posted by sudden valley gunner View Post
    Elvis used to shoot his T.V.'s, and it was just considered eccentric.
    Considering that Microsoft just filed a patent for OS Shutdown anybody who uses Linux or Mac might need to take a lesson from THE KING in how to turn off electronics without being taken to court for patent infringement...

Wouldn't a six core system need six shots at least? He was woefully outnumbered.
    Could it have been a pirated windows server only doing jobs that Linux servers won't do?
    Geeky muslim honor killing perhaps?

Give the poor man a break, his boss told him to de frag the hard drive. Being drunk will cause those little misunderstandings to crop up now and then.

+1 for using a .45.

Would this add to the unemployment numbers, or is it offset by all the police, lawyers, and judges he is employing. A one man stimulus summer, Joe Biden give that man a medal.

Quote Originally Posted by SlackwareRobert View Post
    Wouldn't a six core system need six shots at least?
    He's lucky it's not the new AMD 8-core beast... sucks to have to reload your 1911 to finish the job...

I_Have_a_Small_One

Mac's

They are almost bullet proof.

bulletproof laptop

http://www.associatedcontent.com/art...by_bullet.html

I used to have one of these Toughbooks. A little one with 10" screen, weighed almost nothing, magnesium case... awesome little thing. If I had known it might some day save my life I would have held onto it!!!