• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

State trooper on I- 55

NRAMARINE

Just had a state trooper on I-55 lecture me about oc. First he tried to tell me that you have to have a permit to oc and the ever popular " Why do you need a gun in public, there is security?" Question. I was actually discussing my TPSO encounter with an Independance LEO who was well aware of the legality of oc. I had given him and the State Trooper a LOCAL flier, ( I was giving a statement about an auto accident) when the State trooper chimed in and started lecturing me. He even gave me the flier back. Point is, I tried to be reasonable with him but some just don't want to hear it. Afterward I had a conversation w/ Sgt. Reavis at the state police hangun office and he said he is actually working on getting classes implemented.

kimber10mm

are these guys and gals really that stupid or are they just trying to throw their weight around?

and why is it that they never drive the speed limit?when i traveled the south i never saw a Leo driving the speed limit
they were always 15-20 MPH over
and these JAs had the nerve to stop speeders!
what a crock

Gunslinger

Just had a state trooper on I-55 lecture me about oc. First he tried to tell me that you have to have a permit to oc and the ever popular " Why do you need a gun in public, there is security?" Question. I was actually discussing my TPSO encounter with an Independance LEO who was well aware of the legality of oc. I had given him and the State Trooper a LOCAL flier, ( I was giving a statement about an auto accident) when the State trooper chimed in and started lecturing me. He even gave me the flier back. Point is, I tried to be reasonable with him but some just don't want to hear it. Afterward I had a conversation w/ Sgt. Reavis at the state police hangun office and he said he is actually working on getting classes implemented.

COMMENTS REMOVED BY MODERATOR: General LEO Bashing having nothing to do with a specific instance on misbehavior against a gun owner
_____________________________________________________________________________________

.........................................................WARNING
(6) NO PERSONAL ATTACKS: ....................we will NOT tolerate any personal attacks or general bashing of groups of people based upon race, religion, sex, or choice of occupation (e.g., being a law enforcement officer, in the military, etc)
http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/misc.php?do=showrules

NRAMARINE

I also gave fliers to 3 other LEO's before this guy chimed in. Two TPSO plainclothes deputies who left after the State Trooper arrived, and the Independance officer I was speaking to when Mr. " Let me tell you something, man..." chimed in. I didn't get his name, but he's a bald African American, approx 6' 1" age I would guess low 40's, medium build. I had just bought a voice recorder the night before, didn't have it set up yet. From now on, I will have it with me. But to be fair, the first two deputies said nothing, and the Independance officer was agreeing until we were interupted.

Last edited:

4sooth

Odd reaction from a black law enforcement officer--not very well educated in many ways. Most gun control laws have their origins as efforts to keep blacks disarmed after the civil war--and well into present society. Sad commentary on the officers lack of knowledge.

NRAMARINE

Odd reaction from a black law enforcement officer--not very well educated in many ways. Most gun control laws have their origins as efforts to keep blacks disarmed after the civil war--and well into present society. Sad commentary on the officers lack of knowledge.

That's true. I didn't consider that at the time. Please understand, I was simply offering a physical description. However you raise a valid point.

NRAMARINE

Just sent this,

Capt. Clark,

This past thursday Aug 26, at approx 2 pm I had a disturbing encounter with one of your officers. I Had stopped at the scene of an accident on I-55 southbound between Independance and Tickfaw,a young lady ran off the road into the trees and I stopped to help. No one was harmed ( thankfully) I later gave a statement to a trooper who responded to the call. As he was reading over my statement ( in his vehicle) I got into a discussion with an Independance officer about the legality of open carry. I had a flier from the Louisiana Open Carry Awareness League in my back pocket, he asked for one and the discussion took off from there. During the conversation the State trooper on the scene bacame agitated as he listened to our conversation. He then began lecturing me about gun laws and stated " You have to have a permit to carry a weapon." I agreed that a permit is required to conceal carry, however not needed to open carry. He then demanded" Why would you need a gun in Wal Mart, where they have security?' I responded that my family's safety is my responsibility. He then grew more agitated, basically told me he would arrest me for open carrying if he saw me and to return to my vehicle and leave. I didn't get the officer's name, when I asked he basically blew me off, however he is an African American male, approx 6'2", bald, age 40-45. I am not interested in confrontation, however ignorance of the law and attempting to intimidate citizens out of their 2nd ammendment, and Article 1 section 11 ( state constitution) rights is not in my opinion appropriate. I have always believed that LSP held themselves to a higher standard. The officer also stated that he did not carry a weapon off duty, to which I replied" That's your choice." He does not however have the right to make that choice for me. As I am sure you know Louisiana law guarantees the right of law abiding citizens to openly carry properly holstered sidearms. AG opinion 78-795,79-1212, 78-1288,RS 40;1796,State v. Fluker 311 so.2d 863, and most recently, Marchiafava v. City of Gonzales. Please sir, inform your officers who may be misinformed, or simply don't like those of us who open carry; That we are ultimately on the same side. More importantly, we are not criminals, and are breaking no laws exercising our rights.

crdonov

Just sent this,

Capt. Clark,

This past thursday Aug 26, at approx 2 pm I had a disturbing encounter with one of your officers. I Had stopped at the scene of an accident on I-55 southbound between Independance and Tickfaw,a young lady ran off the road into the trees and I stopped to help. No one was harmed ( thankfully) I later gave a statement to a trooper who responded to the call. As he was reading over my statement ( in his vehicle) I got into a discussion with an Independance officer about the legality of open carry. I had a flier from the Louisiana Open Carry Awareness League in my back pocket, he asked for one and the discussion took off from there. During the conversation the State trooper on the scene bacame agitated as he listened to our conversation. He then began lecturing me about gun laws and stated " You have to have a permit to carry a weapon." I agreed that a permit is required to conceal carry, however not needed to open carry. He then demanded" Why would you need a gun in Wal Mart, where they have security?' I responded that my family's safety is my responsibility. He then grew more agitated, basically told me he would arrest me for open carrying if he saw me and to return to my vehicle and leave. I didn't get the officer's name, when I asked he basically blew me off, however he is an African American male, approx 6'2", bald, age 40-45. I am not interested in confrontation, however ignorance of the law and attempting to intimidate citizens out of their 2nd ammendment, and Article 1 section 11 ( state constitution) rights is not in my opinion appropriate. I have always believed that LSP held themselves to a higher standard. The officer also stated that he did not carry a weapon off duty, to which I replied" That's your choice." He does not however have the right to make that choice for me. As I am sure you know Louisiana law guarantees the right of law abiding citizens to openly carry properly holstered sidearms. AG opinion 78-795,79-1212, 78-1288,RS 40;1796,State v. Fluker 311 so.2d 863, and most recently, Marchiafava v. City of Gonzales. Please sir, inform your officers who may be misinformed, or simply don't like those of us who open carry; That we are ultimately on the same side. More importantly, we are not criminals, and are breaking no laws exercising our rights.

officer doesnt have a clue!

xd-over

sraacke

And about Walmart having security, remember a few years ago when BRPD officer Vicki Wax working security at a Walmart in BR was killed in the store.

Yeah, the bastard shot her with her own gun over a $5 disposable camera. Shot the dude on the bicycle who tried to save her too. Fracking Savages! I see them all the time at work and it just reinforces my resolve to carry everywhere.

sraacke

What do they look like? Can I get a description so I know what to look for to?
White, black, short, tall, male, female, clean, dirty, well dressed, dressed like slobs. All of them getting on my last nerve and the nerve of the ER nurses. I tell them all, Get out and Stay out. Find a bridge and either live under it or jump off of it, I don't care but go away and stay away. Had one ask me yesterday, "Why you guys keep messing with me?" Because, you little thieving, jerk, you have no business here. Get the heck off the property.
Unit 55 to dispatch. Removed another 10-35 from the property. 98. 97 patrol of the parking garage.

estcrh

White, black, short, tall, male, female, clean, dirty, well dressed, dressed like slobs. All of them getting on my last nerve and the nerve of the ER nurses. I tell them all, Get out and Stay out. Find a bridge and either live under it or jump off of it, I don't care but go away and stay away. Had one ask me yesterday, "Why you guys keep messing with me?" Because, you little thieving, jerk, you have no business here. Get the heck off the property.
Unit 55 to dispatch. Removed another 10-35 from the property. 98. 97 patrol of the parking garage.

Thats the exact description of the people I try to avoid in my neighborhood..I guess they are every were....no wonder I feel like being armed were ever I go. Thanks Yale, I thought maybe I was being paranoid

Gunslinger

COMMENTS REMOVED BY MODERATOR: General LEO Bashing having nothing to do with a specific instance on misbehavior against a gun owner
_____________________________________________________________________________________

.........................................................WARNING
(6) NO PERSONAL ATTACKS: ....................we will NOT tolerate any personal attacks or general bashing of groups of people based upon race, religion, sex, or choice of occupation (e.g., being a law enforcement officer, in the military, etc)
http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/misc.php?do=showrules

Sorry. I have this bad habit of when they fly and quack, I call them ducks.

NRAMARINE

Copied the respons I got from LSP on this.

Thank you for brining this to our attention and for forwarding your concerns. This information will be passed on to all of our supervisors.

Thoughts?