• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

13 yr old shoots at grant county sheriff

Ruby

I sincerely hope this young man does quite a bit of time in juevy, and that he NEVER goes back to live with his parents. Obviously they are not able to control him. Why was there a gun where he could get his hands on it? Thank God they didn't shoot him and harm him or kill him. I hope he gets the guidance that he needs so he doesn't live a life of crime. I feel for the officers; who wants to shoot a kid, even if he is shooting at you? This is one of those cases, where later on down the road he gets into some real trouble(not that he isn't now), someone shoots him and kills him, and his mother wrings her hands and says what a good boy he was! This scenario is becoming all too common!

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
Unfortunately he has already chosen his path down the wrong road to his future.
Once he hits juvey he will be praised by others in the system and unfortunately looked upon in a favorable light by his peers or travel the path of others that are in there.

Is there another choice likely not, being lenient on him will not help.

The only way I have seen kids pull out of this environment is if they choose that path and unfortunately few follow the better path.

I agree with the other posters that he should never be returned home as he has no respect for his parents.

Lammo

I sincerely hope this young man does quite a bit of time in juevy, and that he NEVER goes back to live with his parents. Obviously they are not able to control him. Why was there a gun where he could get his hands on it? Thank God they didn't shoot him and harm him or kill him. I hope he gets the guidance that he needs so he doesn't live a life of crime. I feel for the officers; who wants to shoot a kid, even if he is shooting at you? This is one of those cases, where later on down the road he gets into some real trouble(not that he isn't now), someone shoots him and kills him, and his mother wrings her hands and says what a good boy he was! This scenario is becoming all too common!

In this state "quite a bit of time" and juvenile sentencing are not usually mentioned in the same sentence. Juvenile sentences are issued in terms of weeks, not months. The only way this kid gets any real time is if he's declined and treated as an adult.

amlevin

In this state "quite a bit of time" and juvenile sentencing are not usually mentioned in the same sentence. Juvenile sentences are issued in terms of weeks, not months. The only way this kid gets any real time is if he's declined and treated as an adult.

You didn't mention that part where he gets the "clean slate" when he becomes an adult. That record earned while a juvenile can be sealed and then he gets to start over. How many crimes as an "adult" before the leniency stops?

Would be nice to see more of these treated as adults.

Vandal

I am of the opinion where if you think you are old enough to use a gun or other weapon in a crime, then you are old enough to be treated like an adult when it comes time to answer for what you did. Big boy crime, big boy time.

Beretta92FSLady

Would be nice to see more of these treated as adults.

That would solve the problem, right? Then he would do adult time, definitely be institutionalized and because he is young will without a doubt be back out into society a harden criminal.

Hopefully they get this kids some anger management help. He obviously is not being taught how to handle his anger.

The easy way out for society is to lock them up and throw away the key. Some of these people can be helped, not all, some.

Thos.Jefferson

This is why people should spank their kids

This is a classic example of a lack of discipline. The government has gotten involved with the rearing of children(spanking is verbotten!) and the result is a child who does not fear reprecussions for their actions. So sad.

Beretta92FSLady

This is a classic example of a lack of discipline. The government has gotten involved with the rearing of children(spanking is verbotten!) and the result is a child who does not fear reprecussions for their actions. So sad.

I support spanking children. The reason; I have spanked my children very rarely over the years (maybe a handful of times each), they have a good memory, and know when to listen.

Metalhead47

w0rd. This kid doesn't need "anger management," he needs a good ol-fashioned whoopin'. Preferably behind a woodshed.