• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Travel Plans - Advice and/or Recommendations Please

swinokur

Activist Member
Don't stop any longer than a fill up or bathroom break in MD. MD has draconian gun laws. As long as you comply with FOPA you will be ok. Google FOPA if you are not familiar with it;

rotty

GUN LAW IN NY State

BEWARE NY State !!!!

NY law quoted from http://www.nyfirearms.com/blog/nys-gun-laws

It is unlawful for any person to carry, possess or transport a handgun in or through the state unless he has a valid New York license. (A provision of federal law provides a defense to state or local laws which would prohibit the passage of persons with firearms in interstate travel if the person is traveling from any place where he may lawfully possess and transport a firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and transport such firearm and the firearm is unloaded and in the trunk. In vehicles without a trunk, the unloaded firearm shall be in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console).

A member or coach of an accredited college or university target pistol team may transport a handgun into or through New York to participate in a collegiate, Olympic or target pistol shooting competition provided that the handgun is unloaded and carried in a locked carrying case and the ammunition is carried in a separate locked container.

Non-resident target shooters may enter or pass through New York State with handguns for the purposes of any NRA approved competition or IHMSA sanctioned match, within 48 hours of the competition, if the competitor has in his possession a copy of the match program, proof of entry and a pistol license from his state of residence. The handgun must be unloaded and transported in a locked opaque container. This provision does not apply in NY cities not wholly contained within a single county or to people with felony convictions.

Possession of firearms by a person who is a nonresident of this state is lawful while attending or traveling to or from an organized convention or exhibition approved by the NRA, and in which the nonresident is a registered participant within forty-eight hours of such event, provided that the nonresident has not been previously convicted of a felony and further provided that the firearms are transported unloaded in a locked opaque container together with a copy of the convention or exhibition program, convention or exhibition schedule or convention or exhibition registration card. This provision does not apply in NY cities not wholly contained within a single county.

A non-immigrant alien may possess a rifle or shotgun for use while hunting provided he has a valid hunting license issued by New York State and an approved gun import form from the BATFE.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
Well, no, you can't legally buy a handgun if you're not a state resident. There may be some technicality that permits it, but ...

Flying is not really a hassle. I flew from Virginia to TX last week with my handgun, and had more issue with the suitcase being 2 lbs over the limit than with the firearm being in it.

Check out http://www.carryconcealed.net/packngo. It's a handy tool to bookmark. You insert your permit(s) and the states you will travel through, and it will present much the same type of analysis you did for your trip.

Ain't it interesting that Maine recognizes so few other permits? My daughter got married there a few weeks ago, and I didn't get my permit application in in time, so it was go unarmed or OC. OC laws are odd, too - like having to unload when you get in a car - so the trip was much more of a headache than it could have been.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
If you follow the dictates of the FOPA, you can pass through any place in the nation legally. You may also stop for fuel, food, and lodging but not to visit or stay in a place where you may not legally possess your arms. So just traveling through to your destination, again within the confines of the FOPA, is within the law and fine.

There is some argument as to the lodging exclusion, but from what I have found, that is also allowed under the FOPA.

Last edited:

swinokur

Activist Member
If you follow the dictates of the FOPA, you can pass through any place in the nation legally. You may also stop for fuel, food, and lodging but not to visit or stay in a place where you may not legally possess your arms. So just traveling through to your destination, again within the confines of the FOPA, is within the law and fine.

There is some argument as to the lodging exclusion, but from what I have found, that is also allowed under the FOPA.

Can you provide a cite or case law that allows FOPA protections to continue when stopping for lodging? My read of FOPA is that it does not address lodging stops.I recall a court case that disallowed FOPA protection when making a lodging stop. Cannot find it however. The MD AG recently issued an opinion that FOPA protections apply when driving through the state. A lodging stop could be construed to remove FOPA protection and then expose you to MD law. We know how those are.

I don't want to be a test case.

Last edited:

25sierraman

Well, no, you can't legally buy a handgun if you're not a state resident. There may be some technicality that permits it, but ...

Flying is not really a hassle. I flew from Virginia to TX last week with my handgun, and had more issue with the suitcase being 2 lbs over the limit than with the firearm being in it.

Check out http://www.carryconcealed.net/packngo. It's a handy tool to bookmark. You insert your permit(s) and the states you will travel through, and it will present much the same type of analysis you did for your trip.

Ain't it interesting that Maine recognizes so few other permits? My daughter got married there a few weeks ago, and I didn't get my permit application in in time, so it was go unarmed or OC. OC laws are odd, too - like having to unload when you get in a car - so the trip was much more of a headache than it could have been.

BE CAREFUL i just tried that tool and it says Maryland and New Jersey are Opencarry states!!!!!

http://apps.carryconcealed.net/pack...ates=maryland,delaware,newjersey,pennsylvania,

Last edited:

Tess

Founder's Club Member
www.carryconcealed.net is seriously out of date and repeated emails to the site admin are ignored. don't use it.

try and show the permit allowed for Nevada and it still shows UT and FL are accepted. NV stopped recognizing UT and FL over a year ago.

2 sites that are kept current are www.handgunlaw.us or www.usacarry.com

THANK YOU! I have been recommending the site for quite some time, but have never used it myself, or relied on it. I like the idea, but certainly don't like recommending erroneous information.

Thank you for pointing out the error. I will no longer recommend it.