• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Winchester to Deliver 200 Million 40-Cal. Rounds to Homeland Security. GunReports.com

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
http://www.gunreports.com/news/ammo/Winchester-ICE-Homeland-Security-ICE_1460-1.html
WASHINGTON, D.C. -- Winchester Ammunition was recently awarded a contract by the Immigration, Customs and Enforcement (ICE) division of the Department of Homeland Security to supply a maximum of 200 million, 40 cal. rounds over the next five years.

The load selected for this contract is a 135-grain, hollow point designed for the office of Field Operations of Customs and Border Protection. It will fall under the Winchester Ranger line.

6L6GC

135 grains

that's a rather light bullet for the 40 caliber. The most common load I think is either a 165 grain or a 180 grain. I sometimes see 155 grain bullets listed in print but have never seen any on a shelf

Butch00

The 135 gr bullet is the third generation bullet, I think the velocity is around 1400.
Double Tap Ammo....135 is faster still.
Either way would ruin your day.

mark-in-texas

Actually, the 135gn 40S&W round is one of the best rated fightstopers. It's right up there with 230gn 45 and the venerable 158gn 357 Mag. The Federal 'Personal Defense' (used to be called HydraShok) 135gn is my prefered carry round for my Glock 23; good velocity out of the short barrel w/o a lot of muzzle flash.

Jack House

Why would a civilian ban matter to them?

But 200M rounds does sound quite excessive for the DHS.

Last edited:

Jack House

I have no idea what "SWAGed" means. But it does seem like they're stockpiling, but for what reason?

Daylen

thats not so many rounds for them. I did a rough estimate on cartridges per person per year and its only 2000.

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
sounds to me like they are stocking up for some BIG future event. maybe we should all be reading between the lines here & Maybe start worrying ? and that is just the ammo for the that branch of the gobbernment, how much is everyone else getting ? maybe they KNOW something that we don't ? nothing good can come from this.