Thread: It's been a fun week.

It's been a fun week.

Broken window a week ago, Tuesday

Drunk driver crash directly across the street sat night (flipped car)

Last night (Wed night), stolen car crashes into the ditch and flips, 70 feet from my house. 3 guys get out and run.

On the last incident, let's make this open carry related. It was 10:30pm when the cops showed up (took about 30 min). I open carried to the street to give them my statement.

The two Milwaukee District 4 officers never batted an eye as they were talking to me, or commentied on Mr. Glock in any way. I expected at least a "why you are carrying that??". Maybe the felt sorry for the side yard getting tire tracks and sod tore up all down it.

The year can only get better from here. It's usually a quiet pocket neighborhood here. Sheesh.

It is good to see LEOs not bothering people who OC.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. Thomas Jefferson (1776)

If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot - Joe Deters, Hamilton County (Cincinnati) Prosecutor

I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians. - George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

McX
    perhapse it has finally sunk in that an armed citizen does not constitute a threat. that an armed citizen is only exercising his rights, and poses no threat to anyone other than the criminal element. if it hasn't a few more lawsuits might change their views.

Regular Member paul@paul-fisher.com's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by McX View Post
    perhapse it has finally sunk in that an armed citizen does not constitute a threat. that an armed citizen is only exercising his rights, and poses no threat to anyone other than the criminal element. if it hasn't a few more lawsuits might change their views.
    Also, the positive encounters. We must remember, the LEO community talks amongst themselves. If we keep showing that we are responsible, reasonable citizens, it will earn their respect/trust.

Before anyone jumps on me, I understand that we don't have to earn a right, I am just saying that even when it is our right, if we act responsibly, it is one more data point that the LEO will remember when they come up on one of 'us'.

Quote Originally Posted by paul@paul-fisher.com View Post
    Also, the positive encounters. We must remember, the LEO community talks amongst themselves. If we keep showing that we are responsible, reasonable citizens, it will earn their respect/trust.

Before anyone jumps on me, I understand that we don't have to earn a right, I am just saying that even when it is our right, if we act responsibly, it is one more data point that the LEO will remember when they come up on one of 'us'.
    Exactly. I had it on inside the house. And for a split second, I thought about taking it off before going to see them. But I was like nah, no need.

They were professional, did a good job.

McX
    fun week here too; today the cops found someone in great violation; they got searched, their car got searched, they got a free ride downtown with their car into impound, right across the street from us, bay doors open, my sorry armed butt hanging out from some car's hood. they saw, i saw, they did their job, i did mine. nothing happened.

I was very glad to see I had no urge to chase the guys as they ran away from the crashed, stolen car.

Not my job, I'm here to take care of my own.

Quote Originally Posted by McX View Post
    fun week here too; today the cops found someone in great violation; they got searched, their car got searched, they got a free ride downtown with their car into impound, right across the street from us, bay doors open, my sorry armed butt hanging out from some car's hood. they saw, i saw, they did their job, i did mine. nothing happened.
    I don't understand how you do it. I don't even like things in my pockets while working on cars.
    For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. Carl Sagan

When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours - Stephen Roberts

Quote Originally Posted by sFe View Post
    I don't understand how you do it. I don't even like things in my pockets while working on cars.
    He doesn't have anything in his pockets, just his hip.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. Thomas Jefferson (1776)

If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot - Joe Deters, Hamilton County (Cincinnati) Prosecutor

I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians. - George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

Banned
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA
    Sounds like someone has never worked on a car on the ground. There is a reason for garage lifts and thank goodness for them.

I wanted to work on my POV so volunteered to move the 'finished' work off a two-post lift, a 7XX BMW. Started it and bumped the front tires up onto the synchronizing platform between the posts, then let it roll off the lift and down the apron - to discover that the brakes were done but not bled. As I got the BMW stopped it punched out the headlight of a MB with the tailpipe. That was lesson number two in not driving other's toys. Lesson one involved a Ferrari. I don' think that there's been a third such lesson, nor will be.

McX
    love my lifts, and live by them. but that circumstance warranted car on ground. the baby lift will pick up 9 g's. the big one will pick up dark matter, or 12 g's. i call it lift-zilla, for obvious reasons. errors doug? i decline to beleive you are capable of making errors. but anyway guys, you realy haven't lived until you fish a dead cooked cat out of an engine compartment. God i love my job!

added on edit; and PLEASE guys, no now the engine just purrs jokes.
    Last edited by McX; 08-28-2010 at 08:11 AM.

All I ever use are lifts, being that I work at a dealership. They fail to help when one needs to be under a dash or deep in the engine bay though.. i would be worried of the gun scratching something as well.
    For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. Carl Sagan

When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours - Stephen Roberts