• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

30th Time's A Charm at Haggen's in Fairhaven

skiingislife725

So I stopped by the Haggen's in Fairhaven to get some items for making tacos tonight (mmm!) and as I was about halfway done with my shopping, a young man about my age (early-mid twenties) in a Haggen's uniform notifies me that it is against Haggen's policy to allow firearms in their store. Having been in the store about thirty times or so open carrying, I was caught off guard.

Anyhow, I asked if he knew if it was corporate policy and he told me he had checked himself because he has a CPL and was told it's not allowed. I asked if he could get the policy in writing and he said he'd try and then he will make a post on here (he said that he frequents this website).

So, Rob or anyone else, has anyone gotten an actual statement from Haggen's corporate on their firearms policy? I know there was an issue up in Ferndale a while back but if I remember right, no one got a definitive answer on the corporate policy. Hopefully the Haggen employee will follow up on this, he seemed like a hell of a nice guy.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
So I stopped by the Haggen's in Fairhaven to get some items for making tacos tonight (mmm!) and as I was about halfway done with my shopping, a young man about my age (early-mid twenties) in a Haggen's uniform notifies me that it is against Haggen's policy to allow firearms in their store. Having been in the store about thirty times or so open carrying, I was caught off guard.

Anyhow, I asked if he knew if it was corporate policy and he told me he had checked himself because he has a CPL and was told it's not allowed. I asked if he could get the policy in writing and he said he'd try and then he will make a post on here (he said that he frequents this website).

So, Rob or anyone else, has anyone gotten an actual statement from Haggen's corporate on their firearms policy? I know there was an issue up in Ferndale a while back but if I remember right, no one got a definitive answer on the corporate policy. Hopefully the Haggen employee will follow up on this, he seemed like a hell of a nice guy.

Another employee who is confused. The policy that he is aware of relates to employees not customers.

skiingislife725

He did mention that he isn't allowed to carry, which I wasn't at all surprised about and wondered what questions he asked exactly. So, gogo, has someone actually heard from Haggen's on their policy for customers? He was claiming he can't carry AND that customers can't. If you've got a resource, do tell!

Said employee checking in - figured there would be a thread up soon and it was time to start posting as well as reading...

We do have a written policy against employees carrying firearms, or having them anywhere on the property.

I have yet to see a written policy regarding customers legally carrying firearms, but the answer I got from corporate (high up) was that no firearms are allowed on Haggen property.

Sorry, forgot to mention - I will do my best to get a written policy to post as soon as I can...

.45ACPaddy

Good on you for actually coming here and following up!

I realize that at a place of work, most things are up to management and out of your control. No blame on you at all, man.

If possible, I'd hint that banning customers from legally carrying firearms could lead to a loss of business, and you know of at least one customer who shops regularly who carries.

I find that a LOT of places have policies against employees carrying a firearm at work, as it presents a "liability issue" to the company *cough BS *cough* and they think it extends to customers. However, it's only for employees.

I'm looking forward to your response with information!

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
Said employee checking in - figured there would be a thread up soon and it was time to start posting as well as reading...

We do have a written policy against employees carrying firearms, or having them anywhere on the property.

I have yet to see a written policy regarding customers legally carrying firearms, but the answer I got from corporate (high up) was that no firearms are allowed on Haggen property.

Yep, thanks for checking in. I would be surptised if there is a written policy against customers carrying. Is there a written policy against people stealing? Also, very unlikely.

The best approach as an employee when seeing a citizen carrying a properly holstered firearm is to smile, greet the customer and help them. Ignore the firearm. You certainly do allow concealed firearms unless Haggen's has metal detectors at its entrances.

Lovenox

The courts have struck it down in some states saying that employees are allowed to keep weapons in thier cars. I just don't know if Washington is one of them. If Wahington is then your corporate policy is in violation of the law. I know Oklahoma and Lousiana employees are allowed to keep weapons in their locked cars. Anybody got info on Washington?

bennie1986

The courts have struck it down in some states saying that employees are allowed to keep weapons in thier cars. I just don't know if Washington is one of them. If Wahington is then your corporate policy is in violation of the law. I know Oklahoma and Lousiana employees are allowed to keep weapons in their locked cars. Anybody got info on Washington?

This reminds me of a question I was thinking about yesterday! What about employees that rely on public transportation or riding a bike to work. Doesn’t it seem like discrimination agents people that can afford a car?
Just a thought.

deanf

Without a written policy the store can be accused of discrimination.

People sure throw the D-Word around a lot, without really understanding what it means in a legal sense.

Stores are allowed to discriminate, except when it comes to people of a protected class. Gun owners and mess transit riders are not of a protected class.

What legal claim, pray tell, would you have against Haggen for a non-written policy against guns?

Lovenox

People sure throw the D-Word around a lot, without really understanding what it means in a legal sense.

Stores are allowed to discriminate, except when it comes to people of a protected class. Gun owners and mess transit riders are not of a protected class.

What legal claim, pray tell, would you have against Haggen for a non-written policy against guns?

But alas who are members of the protected class? And who says so? I don't care who doesn't want me in thier store; whether it be because I am Hispanic or a OC. I just see it as thier loss and I will take my capital elsewhere and spread the word. The dollar has proven to be mighter than the ballot and cartridge box.

skiingislife725

Called Haggen Corporate today and talked with a lady there. I asked if Haggen's had a written policy on firearms carry in their stores. After calling another person, she called back and claims that the policy is to allow people to conceal if they have a CPL. I asked if it would be possible to get a written letter stating that policy and she said probably not but that she'd transfer me to someone who might know more on the subject. She transferred me to a loss preventions person's voicemail, where I left a brief message. I'll keep you guys posted if I hear anything.

Metalhead47

Washington is NOT one of those states. Employers (unfortunately) have every legal right to prohibit weapons in employee's private vehicles... for now :banghead:

amlevin

He was claiming he can't carry AND that customers can't.

What's Haggen's going to do "Fire You". the Customer? Yeah, right!

Let's see how that works. First they spend a huge amount of money in advertising just to get Customers to shop there (at higher prices I might add) and then they are going to run off a customer for legally carrying a firearm while spending money. Like the old farmer said to his grandson, "Don't eat that Elmer, it's horse$h!t".

Was this employee bagging groceries, stocking shelves, mopping the floor, or perhaps playing with the carrots?

deanf

Was this employee bagging groceries, stocking shelves, mopping the floor, or perhaps playing with the carrots?

As far as a criminal court is concerned, any of those employees, or even the retarded girl bagging the groceries, has the authority to refuse service. They are all representatives of the property owner.

skiingislife725

What's Haggen's going to do "Fire You". the Customer? Yeah, right!

What the heck do you mean "fire you", yah, if their actual policy is no guns and I choose to bring in a gun, they can kick me out of the store. That's their right. I lost you on that one.

I didn't get his actual title, you can ask him yourself (see above).

amlevin

What the heck do you mean "fire you", yah, if their actual policy is no guns and I choose to bring in a gun, they can kick me out of the store. That's their right. I lost you on that one.

To kick you out would in a sense be telling you "don't come back". I was using the term "fire" as a tounge in cheek expression. Although, isn't the same? When you get rid of an employee you fire him. When you toss out a customer-----

Last edited: