• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

30th Time's A Charm at Haggen's in Fairhaven

Wolfebane

So I stopped by the Haggen's in Fairhaven to get some items for making tacos tonight (mmm!) and as I was about halfway done with my shopping, a young man about my age (early-mid twenties) in a Haggen's uniform notifies me that it is against Haggen's policy to allow firearms in their store. Having been in the store about thirty times or so open carrying, I was caught off guard.

Anyhow, I asked if he knew if it was corporate policy and he told me he had checked himself because he has a CPL and was told it's not allowed. I asked if he could get the policy in writing and he said he'd try and then he will make a post on here (he said that he frequents this website).

So, Rob or anyone else, has anyone gotten an actual statement from Haggen's corporate on their firearms policy? I know there was an issue up in Ferndale a while back but if I remember right, no one got a definitive answer on the corporate policy. Hopefully the Haggen employee will follow up on this, he seemed like a hell of a nice guy.

I've been into the one just at the end of Bill McDonald Pkwy several times and spoken directly to several different employees (deli, checkout, help, and customer service people) and never have any of them had any issue with my OC'ing. Just my two cents.

skiingislife725

Yah, like I put as the title, 30th time's a charm, I've been to the Fairhaven Haggen's too many times to count (I just put 30 as a guesstimate) and then yesterday was the day to get told that the policy was no firearms. I've been to the Sehome Haggen's (the one you mention) a few times without any issue. Anyhow, the lady I talked to said CC is ok but was unsure of OC and referred me to the loss prevention guy. Not even sure if the loss prevention guy will even be the guy to talk to, but we'll see what he says.

Metalhead47

Dead. I never could convince my rep to sponsor it. I'm hoping if the midterms here replace some of the more liberal state reps, and if we can get people to ask them to sponsor it, it might get some action.

Hmm, I got a pretty good response from my state rep back during the "assault weapon" ban flap, maybe she'd be willing to sponsor something like that.

sudden valley gunner

As of yet they have no corporate policy. So state law applies.
So until I am told to leave I will continue to carry there.
Richard tried to get this cleared up but was continually put off and ignored. I think they were playing coy, Wal-mart has done the same.

I have had no problems, I personally probably wouldn't have took it any further after finding out their only policy is against employee possession. Sometimes it opens the can of worms. But then again getting the affirmation is a great tool to use against errant managers. (not that we wouldn't have to leave if they insisted)

I also heard a rumor not sure if it is true or not or if deal fell through but Kroeger (they own Freddy's) was going to buy Haggens and Kroeger's policy is to follow state law.

Was this employee bagging groceries, stocking shelves, mopping the floor, or perhaps playing with the carrots?

Times are tough - we had to lay off the person whose job it was to play with the carrots. I'm the closing Person-In-Charge, though I do also bag groceries, stock shelves, and mop the floor as needed.

In all seriousness, though, I did follow through today. I spoke directly with a VP at corporate, and was told unambiguously that firearms are not allowed on Haggen property.

jt59

Anything in writing?

It seems like all of the corporate policy's and employee handbooks at every corporate company are "currently being re-written" or "under review" when requested by any of us, and not available....an obvious mgt ploy...I'd like to see just one!

Times are tough - we had to lay off the person whose job it was to play with the carrots. I'm the closing Person-In-Charge, though I do also bag groceries, stock shelves, and mop the floor as needed.

In all seriousness, though, I did follow through today. I spoke directly with a VP at corporate, and was told unambiguously that firearms are not allowed on Haggen property.

skiingislife725

Did you ask about getting it in writing? It seems like different managers are making it up on the fly...the manager on the weekends doesn't care, the weekday manager does care, the night manager doesn't, and all of these different at all of the stores (most just not caring/mirroring state law). Did you mention that you were an employee? I'm just wondering how you worded the questions. Because the lady I talked to said that with a CPL, carry is ok, but was unsure on OC. That's all I've heard of as of now. Would it be possible to get a contact other than the loss prevention guy on this?

ARADCOM

Haggen OC

I OC at the Meridian Haggen several times a week and haven't had any issues.

Reading the posts about Haggen's leads me to believe they don't really want to come out with some written policy. I personally think the thing to do is just to OC and deal with each situation as (if) occurs.

Did you ask about getting it in writing? It seems like different managers are making it up on the fly...the manager on the weekends doesn't care, the weekday manager does care, the night manager doesn't, and all of these different at all of the stores (most just not caring/mirroring state law). Did you mention that you were an employee? I'm just wondering how you worded the questions. Because the lady I talked to said that with a CPL, carry is ok, but was unsure on OC. That's all I've heard of as of now. Would it be possible to get a contact other than the loss prevention guy on this?

I did pass on your request for a written policy, and the best I can do is put you directly in touch with the man I spoke to. If you PM me your contact information I can pass it on to him; for the sake of my relationship with my employer, I can't really comment further...not my place within the company.

heresolong

I have to say that I am getting tired of Haggen's attitude. I have been a loyal customer for over ten years because I prefer the shopping atmosphere over any other option in Whatcom County (except maybe Safeway which is a bit out of the way for me) but I am about to switch. Here is the email I sent to them since my first letter, sent when Richard had his issues with the Ferndale store, was never answered.

"I am writing to clarify some information I just heard. I have been a loyal customer of yours for over ten years, roughly estimating at least 90% of my grocery shopping at Haggen stores. The only reason I shop elsewhere at all is that I live in Blaine and sometimes Costcutter is convenient for quick, small items. For that ten years I have been carrying a firearm for the protection of myself and my family, as guaranteed by Washington state law, the Washington Constitution, and the federal Constitution. Several years ago an acquaintance of mine was asked to leave your Ferndale store due to an openly carried firearm in a holster on his belt. I sent a letter on his behalf to your corporate offices and received no reply. As I had never had trouble at your stores I didn't follow up on the matter. Now I am starting to hear that you have a "No Firearms" policy and this disturbs me. I have a few questions that I would like answered if I am to continue shopping at your stores.

1) Do you actually have a strict "No Firearms" policy?

2) Have you ever had an incident where a law abiding citizen caused any issues whatsoever with a legally carried firearm?

3) If the answer to question 2 is "No", why are you driving away loyal customers who wish to protect themselves and their families?

I would appreciate a response to my questions. If I do not hear from you I will start shopping at a competitor and I will publicize your hostility towards law abiding citizens in every way I can. I understand your desire to avoid liability, but preventing law abiding citizens from exercising a guaranteed right is probably not the best way to go about keeping your customers.

I hope that I will hear from you that the rumor I heard was incorrect. I enjoy shopping in your stores, I find them much nicer than the competition, but I refuse to disarm myself in order to buy groceries, especially since I have seen no indication that your company is willing to take the responsibility for my and my family's safety while in your store.

Sincerely,

Calvin
Blaine, WA"

amlevin

1) Do you actually have a strict "No Firearms" policy?

I suggest you make a small change:

"1) Do you actually have a strict "No Firearms" policy that would prohibit a CUSTOMER from legally carrying a firearm on your premises?

I would expect someone reading your question at Haggen's Corporate Office to merely spout their "Employee" policy.

Last edited:

heresolong

I suggest you make a small change:

"1) Do you actually have a strict "No Firearms" policy that would prohibit a CUSTOMER from legally carrying a firearm on your premises?

I would expect someone reading your question at Haggen's Corporate Office to merely spout their "Employee" policy.

Unfortunately the email was sent prior to my posting.