• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Introducing Myself

gungho

Hello there fellow Michigan Open Carriers. I'm new to the open carry scene and haven't actualy openly carried in public yet. I am licensed to carry concealed (since last October).

I plan on carrying my Taurus PT 24/7 9mm once a find a reliable and comfortabe hip holster for it. Any suggestions would be great!

Also are there any folks who get together in the mid-Michigan area (Montcalm, Isabella, Mecosta counties)?

gungho

Welcome to OCDO. I'm sure those who are in your area will be replying shortly. Also check www.miopencarry.org/events for upcoming OC events.

I'll check out that site soon! Didn't know Michigan Open Carry had their own website, although I did just become a fan of it on facebook. Looks like I might actually have to register on the website to see upcoming events.

Welcome aboard!
I carry mainly in a Blackhawk serpa, and love it, but I don't know if they have one for your piece.

My dad also reccomended a Blackhawk Serpa holster, which he has for his S&W 1911. I'll look and see what they have availabe, if they do, for my Taurus. Thanks for the suggestion.

I OCed up your way this summer at my friends cabin on Lost Lake! No problems in Barryton or Remus!

Familiar with both Barryton and Remus, though not Lost Lake. Remus is about 30 minutes north of where I'm from.

hopnpop

I OCed up your way this summer at my friends cabin on Lost Lake! No problems in Barryton or Remus!

Barryton and Remus?! Small world, buddy! Barryton is where my family and I camp! We were just up there a week and a half ago. Mother-in-law has a little land in Barryton right on the Chippewa but I normally head up M-66 to Crawford Park and kayak to Evart on the Muskegon. Beautiful little run. Can't wait for fall colors - I'll be heading back there for a "fall color paddle". I always OC up there and nobody's even raised an eyebrow at it. I tend to frequent William's Cafe - nice lil breakfast joint.

OT > back to topic: I carry my XD in a Blackhawk! Serpa level 2 retention holster. Took some practice perfecting the draw from it but I feel I've pretty well mastered it. I do think they make 'em for your 24/7. They run around $45-$50 generally and I've been 100% happy with mine.

Last edited:

dfox

Hello there fellow Michigan Open Carriers. I'm new to the open carry scene and haven't actualy openly carried in public yet. I am licensed to carry concealed (since last October).

I plan on carrying my Taurus PT 24/7 9mm once a find a reliable and comfortabe hip holster for it. Any suggestions would be great!

Also are there any folks who get together in the mid-Michigan area (Montcalm, Isabella, Mecosta counties)?

Welcome, I have a place in Barryton and am up there most every weekend.