• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Kicked out of the Chateau Cushnoc for Open Carry

Jarody

The Chateau Cushnoc is a retirement community owned by the AFL-CIO.
The was an open forum to celebrate the 75th anniversary of the Social Security program.
Libby Mitchell, Chellie Pingree, Patsy Crockett, and Maeghan Maloney had all planned to attend.
I keep track of local politics and planned to film them speaking and maybe ask them a few questions afterward.
That didn't happen. Watch the video below to see how it played out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7r2mnLe_4M

About 90 minutes after this occurred at 1:06 PM officer E. Dos Santos served me a paper citing Title 17-A,Section 402. It appears I've been permanently banned from the premises. When I can find a power cord for my scanner I'll upload the actual document itself.

boyscout399

I think you handled yourself well. When asked to leave private property, you left. They do not have to have a sign to ask you to leave. However, if they did have a sign and you ignored it, then you would be automatically guilty of a crime (criminal possession of a firearm). Here's the statute: 17ASS1057

The statute does not say they must have a sign to kick you out, only that if they have a sign, you must follow it. They can still kick you out and you must follow their direction, which you did.

Now that they've asked you not to return to their property, you must also follow that direction.

They haven't asked me not to go there though. Perhaps I should take a trip :lol:

I hope that plenty of people see this, just so they can see how stupid the place's policies are.

Maine CWP Training

Possession of firearms in an establishment licensed for on-premises consumption of liquor
1. A person is guilty of criminal possession of a firearm if:
A. Not being a law enforcement officer or a private investigator licensed under Title 32, chapter 89 and actually performing as a private investigator, the person possesses any firearm on the premises of a licensed establishment posted to prohibit or restrict the possession of firearms in a manner reasonably likely to come to the attention of patrons, in violation of the posted prohibition or restriction;

Not sure they're licensed to sell liquor?

boyscout399

Possession of firearms in an establishment licensed for on-premises consumption of liquor
1. A person is guilty of criminal possession of a firearm if:
A. Not being a law enforcement officer or a private investigator licensed under Title 32, chapter 89 and actually performing as a private investigator, the person possesses any firearm on the premises of a licensed establishment posted to prohibit or restrict the possession of firearms in a manner reasonably likely to come to the attention of patrons, in violation of the posted prohibition or restriction;

Not sure they're licensed to sell liquor?

For the purposes of this section, "licensed establishment" means a licensed establishment as defined by Title 28-A, section 2, subsection 15, the license for which is held by an on-premise retail licensee, as defined by Title 28-A, section 2, subsection 27, paragraph B. For the purposes of this section, "premises" has the same meaning as set forth in Title 28-A, section 2, subsection 24.

The licensed establishment still has to post the premises in order to have the "criminal possession of a firearm" I have still not seen any bars that are posted to prohibit firearms. The Stadium in Portland and The Pier in Old Orchard do pat downs, but they have no sign saying no weapons.

Last edited: