• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Non resident OC in Virginia

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
Yes. If you are legally able to possess a handgun, you may open carry in Virginia. And if you have a Michigan CCW, Virginia recognizes your permit as that of "mutual recognition (Jurisdictions have informally agreed to honor permits issued by the other)".

There are a few entities you should steer clear of such as court houses, school grounds, churches when in session, and any federally owned or leased operations.

If I missed anything, perhaps other Virginia members will weigh in and help.

Don Barnett

National Parks...

Yes. If you are legally able to possess a handgun, you may open carry in Virginia. And if you have a Michigan CCW, Virginia recognizes your permit as that of "mutual recognition (Jurisdictions have informally agreed to honor permits issued by the other)".

There are a few entities you should steer clear of such as court houses, school grounds, churches when in session, and any federally owned or leased operations.

If I missed anything, perhaps other Virginia members will weigh in and help.

You can Open Carry in National Parks as long as you don't go into a building where Park employees work; such as concessions, information centers, etc. I think stand-alone restroom facilities are OK.

If you are on private property, including privately owned businesses, and the owner asks you to leave, you must do so or you could be guilty of trespassing. If there is a "No Guns" sign prominently posted on the entrance to a private business establishment, you cannot carry.

t33j

You can Open Carry in National Parks as long as you don't go into a building where Park employees work; such as concessions, information centers, etc. I think stand-alone restroom facilities are OK.

All such places must be posted IIRC.
State Parks and National Forests require CC

You can:
OC or CC in restaurants serving alcohol
OC in car without CHP

No duty to inform officer of concealed gun unless asked

OP: Why didn't you post this in the Virginia section?

Last edited:

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
If there is a "No Guns" sign prominently posted on the entrance to a private business establishment, you cannot carry.

Well you can enter that business... you just put yourself at risk of a charge of trespassing should the owner/manager decide to press charges after calling the police.

INAL and I welcome corrections to this.

Last edited:

You can:
OC or CC in restaurants serving alcohol
OC in car without CHP

No duty to inform officer of concealed gun unless asked

I don't know how to post things in certain areas...

Don Barnett

This is as good a place as any...

He could post in the Virginia forums, but this section is probably an appropriate place because it gives people throughout the USA a general knowledge of our laws.

Brimstone Baritone

Which can be easily found by clicking on the section labeled Virginia

So why even have an "Open Carry Questions" forum since so much of it depends on individual state law?

Maybe so that if you have a question about open carry, you can ask it, and someone will let you know the answer. Instead of saying:

you could say something less accusatory, such as:
Don't forget to check out the Virginia forum, for state-specific questions.

eye95

Well, there are questions regarding OC that are not State-specific, questions regarding carry conditions, carry positions, carry weapons, etc. If a question is specific to one State, it really is best posted there.

JMO.