Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Come OC at ACLU Event! September 9th

Come OC at ACLU Event! September 9th

What: ACLU Birthday Party (with special guest Constance Mc Millen)
    When: September 9th, 5:30-7:00pm
    Where: Meadow and Shelter House, Cal Anderson Park, Seattle, WA

Why: The ACLU is one of the most powerful civil libertarian organizations in the United States, yet their stance on the Second Amendment is an a outrage (http://www.aclu.org/racial-justice_p...cond-amendment). This is a perfect opportunity to spread some OC knowledge to people who should be our allies... or at least twist some "liberal" panties in a bunch.

Open to the public, the organizer is expecting 500+ people and it's being held in a City Park so no legal problems.

I'll be there with my Sig Sauer 226 on my right. PM me if you'd like to meet up.

That would be great. I hope you get a good group of people to join you.
    "The right of self-defense never ceases. It is among the most sacred, and alike necessary to nations and to individuals."
    - President James Monroe

I'm up for going...

...Hey... devildoc... you up for going?

Nice,

...and then right next to their position statement on 2A, it says:

Support the ACLU!
    Our rights depend on our willingness to defend them. Every day across this nation, new threats challenge the freedoms guaranteed by the Constitution and Bill of Rights. You can defend liberty by supporting the ACLU today.

amazing!, but not surprising given their track record.

Quote Originally Posted by DoomGoober View Post
    What: ACLU Birthday Party (with special guest Constance Mc Millen)
    When: September 9th, 5:30-7:00pm
    Where: Meadow and Shelter House, Cal Anderson Park, Seattle, WA

Why: The ACLU is one of the most powerful civil libertarian organizations in the United States, yet their stance on the Second Amendment is an a outrage (http://www.aclu.org/racial-justice_p...cond-amendment). This is a perfect opportunity to spread some OC knowledge to people who should be our allies... or at least twist some "liberal" panties in a bunch.

Open to the public, the organizer is expecting 500+ people and it's being held in a City Park so no legal problems.

I'll be there with my Sig Sauer 226 on my right. PM me if you'd like to meet up.
    Last edited by jt59; 08-27-2010 at 11:19 AM.
    Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat....Teddy Roosevelt

I'd like to try to make this one.

Damn... I will be in the backcountry chasing elk with pointy sticks...

Me Too

If my schedule allows, I would like to make this one as well.

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderTattoo View Post
    I'd like to try to make this one.
    Live Free or Die!

The ACLU can kiss my ass. They don't believe the 2A is a civil right and disagree with SCOTUS. I would urge everyone to refrain from supporting them until their views on the 2nd change.

Also don't be so sure that because it is in a city park that you are OK to carry without being excluded as it is still a private event.
    "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."

"though I walk through the valley in the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for I know that you are by my side" Glock 23:40

I will definitely be there unless something unexpected comes up. They won't know how to react since I'm a progressive FORMER card-carrying ACLU member who worked an internship there during my final year of law school!
    Meet the new boss; same as the old boss. -The Who

Hey, maybe they'll represent us in court when we get harassed, and we file a suit claiming our first amendment rights were infringed.

That makes my head asplode just thinking about it.
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself." -John Stuart Mill

Quote Originally Posted by killchain View Post
    Hey, maybe they'll represent us in court when we get harassed, and we file a suit claiming our first amendment rights were infringed.

That makes my head asplode just thinking about it.
    I was wondering the same thing! I carry as a political statement -- so isn't OC'ing also a form of speech?

Question Question

Quote Originally Posted by joeroket View Post
    Also don't be so sure that because it is in a city park that you are OK to carry without being excluded as it is still a private event.
    Question about this: anyone know the law regarding private events in public parks. Can they exclude people if they decide they don't like us? It doesn't make much sense to me that they can remove us from the park since it's a public space. What about the buildings they are going to be in?

Just wondering, and yes I'm planning on going.

If they have leased the space from the city then it no longer becomes public space. Anyone can be excluded and the city leases require the lessee to restrict firearms from the event.

If they are simply having an event without a lease from the city then they cannot exclude you based on the presence of your firearm.
    "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."

"though I walk through the valley in the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for I know that you are by my side" Glock 23:40

The Meadow and Shelter House is rentable for a fee. I'm assuming WA-ACLU is renting the house making it a private event. However, that doesn't stop anyone from standing outside the Meadow and Shelter house in Cal Anderson Park proper.

If I can hitch a ride I'll go!

Went to the Cal-Anderson park today. Saw the rental house. A homeless man came up to me and asked if I was a bounty hunter. We talked for a while. Then 2 bike cops came up to me a talked for a while. They were impressed by how much of the law I knew and I showed them our flier. They said a bunch of people had called but that the dispatcher had told them that as long as I wasn't threatening anyone that it was legal. The cops just came by to see what was up. They asked me if I come to this park on a regular bases, and I said it was my first time, that I go to greenlake usally. They gave me the impression that they hadn't seen this in this park before. They were totally cool with it and respectful. I mentioned that they might see a couple of more open carry people at the aclu event and they said if they were all like me that would be great.
    Last edited by jsanchez; 08-30-2010 at 01:30 AM.

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DoomGoober View Post
    I was wondering the same thing! I carry as a political statement -- so isn't OC'ing also a form of speech?
    Yes it is definitely is.

There was a lady who went nude/topless in a public event to protest a towns obscenity laws in Florida, I think. She won because it infringed upon her first amendment, (but they ruled the law wasn't unconstitutional, ).

Quote Originally Posted by sudden valley gunner View Post
    Yes it is definitely is.

There was a lady who went nude/topless in a public event to protest a towns obscenity laws in Florida, I think. She won because it infringed upon her first amendment, (but they ruled the law wasn't unconstitutional, ).
    No offense but I don't think any of you guys should show up topless OC'ing....I'm just sayin....

Quote Originally Posted by gsx1138 View Post
    No offense but I don't think any of you guys should show up topless OC'ing....I'm just sayin....
    Seriously......,I think it has something to do with manboobs....THAT probl'y would be a justifiable obscenity ticket that would be indefensible.
    Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat....Teddy Roosevelt

Before everyone goes, what is the ACLU's official stance on the 2A? What is thier track record regarding the 2A? Anybody?

Quote Originally Posted by jsanchez View Post
    Went to the Cal-Anderson park today. Saw the rental house. A homeless man came up to me and asked if I was a bounty hunter. We talked for a while. Then 2 bike cops came up to me a talked for a while. They were impressed by how much of the law I knew and I showed them our flier. They said a bunch of people had called but that the dispatcher had told them that as long as I wasn't threatening anyone that it was legal. The cops just came by to see what was up. They asked me if I come to this park on a regular bases, and I said it was my first time, that I go to greenlake usally. They gave me the impression that they hadn't seen this in this park before. They were totally cool with it and respectful. I mentioned that they might see a couple of more open carry people at the aclu event and they said if they were all like me that would be great.

You should have taken note of their names and followed up with the chief and informed him how much you were impressed by the professionalism, courtesy, and tact. This could go a long way in paving the way for improved relations between the PD and OC'ers..just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Lovenox View Post
    Before everyone goes, what is the ACLU's official stance on the 2A? What is thier track record regarding the 2A? Anybody?
    Check the link in the first post.

Long time lurker, first time poster.

Technically the ACLU allows state chapters to make their own minds up on Second Amendment cases, and there is evidence that their position is changing with the recent SCOTUS decisions. Florida, Nevada, Louisiana and Texas chapters of the ACLU certainly take firearm cases.

See the following article for recent examples:

http://www.washingtontimes.com/blog/...ond-amendment/

Several ACLU chapters have come right out and said it e.g. http://www.aclunv.org/aclu-nevada-su...ight-bear-arms

In light of the United States Supreme Court's decision concerning the D.C. handgun ban (District of Columbia v. Heller) the ACLU of Nevada considers it important to clearly state its position regarding the right to bear arms. The Nevada ACLU respects the individual's right to bear arms subject to constitutionally permissible regulations. The ACLU of Nevada will defend this right as it defends other constitutional rights. This policy was formulated by our afilliate Board in light of both the U.S. Constitution and the clearly-stated individual right to bear arms as set out in the Nevada Constitution's Declaration of Rights.
    Personally I am still mad at the WA ACLU for their weak stance on Prop 1068. I might find it in my heart to forgive them if they did something like Nevada!
    Last edited by boatswain; 08-31-2010 at 04:23 AM.

welcome to our lovely forum boatswain

thanx for the links,, glad to see the aclu is coming around..
    theres been lots of 2 A cases that deserved their help..
    EMNofSeattle wrote: Your idea of freedom terrifies me. So you are actually right. I am perfectly happy with what you call tyranny.....

“If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.”

Stand up for your Rights,, They have no authority on their own...

All power is inherent in the people,
    it is their right and duty to be at all times ARMED!

Quote Originally Posted by ak56 View Post
    Check the link in the first post.
    Here is thier stance and after I read it how can any of the board members go??

ACLU POSITION
    Given the reference to "a well regulated Militia" and "the security of a free State," the ACLU has long taken the position that the Second Amendment protects a collective right rather than an individual right. For seven decades, the Supreme Court's 1939 decision in United States v. Miller was widely understood to have endorsed that view.

The Supreme Court has now ruled otherwise. In striking down Washington D.C.'s handgun ban by a 5-4 vote, the Supreme Court's 2008 decision in D.C. v. Heller held for the first time that the Second Amendment protects an individual's right to keep and bear arms, whether or not associated with a state militia.

The ACLU disagrees with the Supreme Court's conclusion about the nature of the right protected by the Second Amendment. We do not, however, take a position on gun control itself. In our view, neither the possession of guns nor the regulation of guns raises a civil liberties issue.

Last edited by Lovenox; 08-31-2010 at 02:22 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast