• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Come OC at ACLU Event! September 9th

DoomGoober

What: ACLU Birthday Party (with special guest Constance Mc Millen)
When: September 9th, 5:30-7:00pm
Where: Meadow and Shelter House, Cal Anderson Park, Seattle, WA

Why: The ACLU is one of the most powerful civil libertarian organizations in the United States, yet their stance on the Second Amendment is an a outrage (http://www.aclu.org/racial-justice_...law-reform_immigrants-rights/second-amendment). This is a perfect opportunity to spread some OC knowledge to people who should be our allies... or at least twist some "liberal" panties in a bunch.

Open to the public, the organizer is expecting 500+ people and it's being held in a City Park so no legal problems.

I'll be there with my Sig Sauer 226 on my right. PM me if you'd like to meet up.

jt59

Nice,

...and then right next to their position statement on 2A, it says:

Support the ACLU!
Our rights depend on our willingness to defend them. Every day across this nation, new threats challenge the freedoms guaranteed by the Constitution and Bill of Rights. You can defend liberty by supporting the ACLU today.

amazing!, but not surprising given their track record.

What: ACLU Birthday Party (with special guest Constance Mc Millen)
When: September 9th, 5:30-7:00pm
Where: Meadow and Shelter House, Cal Anderson Park, Seattle, WA

Why: The ACLU is one of the most powerful civil libertarian organizations in the United States, yet their stance on the Second Amendment is an a outrage (http://www.aclu.org/racial-justice_...law-reform_immigrants-rights/second-amendment). This is a perfect opportunity to spread some OC knowledge to people who should be our allies... or at least twist some "liberal" panties in a bunch.

Open to the public, the organizer is expecting 500+ people and it's being held in a City Park so no legal problems.

I'll be there with my Sig Sauer 226 on my right. PM me if you'd like to meet up.

Last edited:

joeroket

The ACLU can kiss my ass. They don't believe the 2A is a civil right and disagree with SCOTUS. I would urge everyone to refrain from supporting them until their views on the 2nd change.

Also don't be so sure that because it is in a city park that you are OK to carry without being excluded as it is still a private event.

Bob Warden

I will definitely be there unless something unexpected comes up. They won't know how to react since I'm a progressive FORMER card-carrying ACLU member who worked an internship there during my final year of law school!

killchain

Hey, maybe they'll represent us in court when we get harassed, and we file a suit claiming our first amendment rights were infringed.

That makes my head asplode just thinking about it.

DoomGoober

Hey, maybe they'll represent us in court when we get harassed, and we file a suit claiming our first amendment rights were infringed.

That makes my head asplode just thinking about it.

I was wondering the same thing! I carry as a political statement -- so isn't OC'ing also a form of speech?

SaintJacque

Question

Also don't be so sure that because it is in a city park that you are OK to carry without being excluded as it is still a private event.

Question about this: anyone know the law regarding private events in public parks. Can they exclude people if they decide they don't like us? It doesn't make much sense to me that they can remove us from the park since it's a public space. What about the buildings they are going to be in?

Just wondering, and yes I'm planning on going.

joeroket

If they have leased the space from the city then it no longer becomes public space. Anyone can be excluded and the city leases require the lessee to restrict firearms from the event.

If they are simply having an event without a lease from the city then they cannot exclude you based on the presence of your firearm.

DoomGoober

The Meadow and Shelter House is rentable for a fee. I'm assuming WA-ACLU is renting the house making it a private event. However, that doesn't stop anyone from standing outside the Meadow and Shelter house in Cal Anderson Park proper.

jsanchez

Went to the Cal-Anderson park today. Saw the rental house. A homeless man came up to me and asked if I was a bounty hunter. We talked for a while. Then 2 bike cops came up to me a talked for a while. They were impressed by how much of the law I knew and I showed them our flier. They said a bunch of people had called but that the dispatcher had told them that as long as I wasn't threatening anyone that it was legal. The cops just came by to see what was up. They asked me if I come to this park on a regular bases, and I said it was my first time, that I go to greenlake usally. They gave me the impression that they hadn't seen this in this park before. They were totally cool with it and respectful. I mentioned that they might see a couple of more open carry people at the aclu event and they said if they were all like me that would be great.

Last edited:

sudden valley gunner

I was wondering the same thing! I carry as a political statement -- so isn't OC'ing also a form of speech?

Yes it is definitely is.

There was a lady who went nude/topless in a public event to protest a towns obscenity laws in Florida, I think. She won because it infringed upon her first amendment, (but they ruled the law wasn't unconstitutional, ).

gsx1138

Yes it is definitely is.

There was a lady who went nude/topless in a public event to protest a towns obscenity laws in Florida, I think. She won because it infringed upon her first amendment, (but they ruled the law wasn't unconstitutional, ).

No offense but I don't think any of you guys should show up topless OC'ing....I'm just sayin....

jt59

No offense but I don't think any of you guys should show up topless OC'ing....I'm just sayin....

Seriously......,I think it has something to do with manboobs....THAT probl'y would be a justifiable obscenity ticket that would be indefensible. :uhoh:

Lovenox

Before everyone goes, what is the ACLU's official stance on the 2A? What is thier track record regarding the 2A? Anybody?