• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC at Manassas Chuck E. Cheese; asked to remove firearm

Regular_Joe

After approx. 18 months of OC'ing, I finally ran into my first negative experience:

My wife (CC) and I (OC) were in Manassas running some errands and enjoying some family time. We needed to work on a writing project, so after getting a great meal at Logan's Roadhouse and spending some time at Bull Run Library, we headed over to Chuck E. Cheese. The idea was to let the kids have some fun while we grabbed a table and sodas and worked through some ideas. We have both OC'd at Chuck E. Cheese many times in the past without incident - usually great service.

However, after sitting at the table for about 15 minutes, the manager on duty came over and said that a customer had complained about the gun. He politely showed me the Chuck E. Cheese policy regarding their prohibition on weapons and asked that I remove the gun from the store. He actually seemed a bit sheepish and apologized, but said that he had to enforce the corporate policy.

I had dress pants/dress shirt on, my wife was dressed nice, we had a bible or two with papers and a small computer on the table, drinking sodas - I guess I assumed we appeared harmless. I have to admit I first felt defensive, but the manager was very polite and I needed to represent well, right? My wife carefully read the policy and I politely told the manager that this had never been an issue at Chuck E. Cheese and that although we didn't agree, we would of course respect the policy and immediately comply. I locked the gun up in the car, we spent a half hour quickly finishing what we needed to complete, we spent way too much time at the rewards counter helping our little kids negotiate for the cheapest toys in the free world, and we left.

Dang...we are going to miss Chuck E. Cheese. Well, our kids will...

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
I locked the gun up in the car, we spent a half hour quickly finishing what we needed to complete

I would have never have done that. Especially if people saw you armed... saw the manager talk to you.. you walk out and come back 3 minutes later with no gun!? that just SCREAMS "come break my windows and get a free gun!":banghead:

Regular_Joe

I would have never have done that. Especially if people saw you armed... saw the manager talk to you.. you walk out and come back 3 minutes later with no gun!? that just SCREAMS "come break my windows and get a free gun!":banghead:

Good point, sir. Our van was parked right on the other side of a large window from our table - we could see the entire lot around it and it would take me 30 seconds to reach - this was a critical factor in my stay/leave decision!

But you are right about the risk. Certainly increased our vigilance factor...

vt800c

this was not the first I saw about C.E.Cheese

Looks like we have an addition to our 'bad business' list.

I'm glad my youngest is now 21.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Looks like we have an addition to our 'bad business' list.

I'm glad my youngest is now 21.

Mine's in his mid 30's now and yeah...it's nice.

Sorry it happened Joe but ir had to sometime. Under the circumstances, you did fine!
Leaving it in the car is a personal decision just like many OC things. Considering you wanted to stay, I'd have done the same.

FWIW, I don't worry to much about people stealing it. I usually have a rifle in the gun rack so it's not a secret....but then I don't ever go north, so things could be much different there.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
There is another option. You could have gone out to your vehicle, concealed your firearm, then returned to the establishment. Granted, this would not be in agreement with their policy, but you would be protecting both your firearm and yourself and lady. I am not openly suggesting you do this, as this would be a highly personal decision to take, but rather an option in such a situation.

I have CC'd in places where there was a policy against the carrying of firearms because I consider my safety and well being far superior to some stupid policy. I only do this if the place I have to go to is my only choice and it just so happens to have such a policy. And since I am not breaking any laws doing this, I don't loose any sleep over it.

TraumaRN

Did your wife still have her gun in CC mode? From your post it sounds like the only gun removed from the restaurant was yours, so you still had some "cover". Is this a new C-E-C policy as I thought I had read about others going to C-E-C without issue?

wylde007

Asked to put my gun in the car means asked to leave.

While it may not be expressed explicitly, I do not take well to being discriminated against... and that is exactly what this is - discrimination.

Take your business elsewhere. I know, I know - where else can one go to let the kids run wild and play video games in [relative] security while you and the missus pore over the books and catch up on your devotionals?

sol

Is this policy posted anywhere visible from the outside? I typically would think that a policy for the store is an employee policy and not something that patrons would have to follow.

One thing that I would have a problem with is instead of the other patron inquiring about the sidearm, they go tell the manager.

Without a posting of whether or not there is a prohibition on weapons, I absolutely agree that this is discrimination as CC patrons would not otherwise be bothered (for obvious reasons). If you don't like my baseball cap, shirt or shoes, and ask me to go change so others can be comfortable, I am sorry to leave due to anothers discriminatory remarks, and won't be returning due to the companys enforcement.

All in all, good job on being professional and maintaining your rational. Tough decisions, especially when your childrens happiness and fun times are being threatened by anothers discrimination against you.

Regular_Joe

Did your wife still have her gun in CC mode? From your post it sounds like the only gun removed from the restaurant was yours, so you still had some "cover". Is this a new C-E-C policy as I thought I had read about others going to C-E-C without issue?

Absolutely - she still provided the CC option. We have been to the same location several times in the past.

Regular_Joe

Asked to put my gun in the car means asked to leave.

While it may not be expressed explicitly, I do not take well to being discriminated against... and that is exactly what this is - discrimination.

Take your business elsewhere. I know, I know - where else can one go to let the kids run wild and play video games in [relative] security while you and the missus pore over the books and catch up on your devotionals?

That is just what it felt like. I think, for the first time, I didn't see OC as an option, but as a right. In fact, when the manager first approached us, I honestly had no idea what he needed to speak to us about. Funny how both OC and CC can become a natural part of everyday life!

Regular_Joe

Is this policy posted anywhere visible from the outside? I typically would think that a policy for the store is an employee policy and not something that patrons would have to follow.

No, it isn't posted anywhere, just listed on a sheet of paper in .8 pitch font.

IOne thing that I would have a problem with is instead of the other patron inquiring about the sidearm, they go tell the manager.

Northern Virginia, very diverse cultures represented in the establishment. Perhaps the patron, particularly a woman from a different culture, wasn't comfortable confronting me. I don't mind that they talked to the manager. I guess I should be glad that the manager spoke to me directly as opposed to contacting Prince William Co. PD.

We did stay to meet a deadline, but won't be back.

Cord

I was there last Sunday OCing at a friend's son's 8th birthday party. I was there helping bring in gifts and cupcakes, walking in and out of the building, walking all around the place helping the kids out and the employees were walking by me all the time. Nobody complained for 4 hours while I was there. Then when we were about to leave, Susan, the manager for the evening came up to me and said the same thing. No sign was posted outside that night either.

TFred

You know I can't help but wonder what the reaction would be to a calmly asked question:

"And just how would you feel if you were forced to give up one of your First Amendment rights just in order to sit down and have a Coke here? Would you change or deny your own personal religious beliefs if the company required you to do so in order to be served?"

I'm sure the reply would be crickets...

TFred

architect

gun as a token of belief

Or perhaps ask the manager, "how would you react if a customer told you they were 'being made to feel uncomfortable' by someone wearing a yarmulke, turban, hoodie, or kente cloth?"

I am not implying OC is or should be regarded as a religious observance, but as a significant part of a belief system and culture. A belief system and culture that deserves as much respect and tolerance as any. Of course people's perceptions vary, but the items of attire listed above can have as strong an effect on some as a gun to others, they can all be symbols of cultures that some people might find offensive.

I can hear it now...yes, I am aware that not everyone OCs for the same reasons, the same is true about the other items of wear. Let's not take this thread off-topic from the OP's experiences.

paramedic70002

I would have refused to disarm. Perhaps a polite, "I respectfully decline to disarm. If it is your wish for my party to leave, kindly refund my money." As the manager is giving you the refund, follow up with, "In this economy, is that policy and customer's comment worth losing my business forever as well as the thousands of open carry advocates I communicate with everyday?" Then walk out while the manager ponders the question. FWIW when you are asked to leave an establishment, you are not required to pay for your meal.

Make sure to follow up with corporate about your displeasure:
http://www.chuckecheese.com/company-info/contact-us.php

BTW their pizza sucks.

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
I would have refused to disarm. Perhaps a polite, "I respectfully decline to disarm. If it is your wish for my party to leave, kindly refund my money." As the manager is giving you the refund, follow up with, "In this economy, is that policy and customer's comment worth losing my business forever as well as the thousands of open carry advocates I communicate with everyday?" Then walk out while the manager ponders the question. FWIW when you are asked to leave an establishment, you are not required to pay for your meal.

Make sure to follow up with corporate about your displeasure:
http://www.chuckecheese.com/company-info/contact-us.php

BTW their pizza sucks.
+1