Thread: Tech questions

Tech questions

I often hear people say "record the conversation", "make sure you have it on tape" when dealing with LEOs. What recorders would you guys recommend for voice recording and what would you recommend for video? Thanks in advance.

I use my Android phone (Moto Cliq)

It came with a video camera app, I downloaded a free voice recorder app.

Tested it at 2 ft, 6ft and appx. 10 ft. Voices are clearly audible. Also tested in my pocket, same result... though there is a bit of "static" sound from the fabric of my pants rubbing on the mic.

10 hours of record time means I can start it and let it roll all day long... just about...

shoot me a PM, I can get you setup with something.

I picked up a sony digital recorder at Walmart (OCing while I bought it). It was around $50 if I remember correctly, but very easy to plug into my computer to retrieve audio files.

Quote Originally Posted by Jayd1981 View Post
    I picked up a sony digital recorder at Walmart (OCing while I bought it). It was around $50 if I remember correctly, but very easy to plug into my computer to retrieve audio files.

The problem with voice recorders and the like is that it relies on an officers honesty. If an officer is going to violate your rights, illegally arrest you, threaten you, etc.. What makes you think he's gonna leave your voice recorder alone when he takes you into custody? You think he'll leave you with it? Or do you think he'll 'accidentally' erase it, or better yet, 'misplace' it ? ?

I've sent him a PM on the subject, and no, it's not a pen.

Cool Me 2!

Quote Originally Posted by TechnoWeenie View Post
    shoot me a PM, I can get you setup with something.
    PM sent!
    Tanks,
    Tony D

My Motorola Droid works awesome for video/audio, even at half hour high quality stuff...but eats battery power quick. Got a digital Sony voice recorder from Wal-Mart, too. Even made a velcro attachment for my belt to attach it to. Works good until you put it in a pocket...then too much static.
    It ain't easy in the Tweezy.

My favorite one to date: "Uh... You know the hammer's back on it, right?"

Me: o.O "Uh...yeah."

The problem with voice recorders and the like is that it relies on an officers honesty. If an officer is going to violate your rights, illegally arrest you, threaten you, etc.. What makes you think he's gonna leave your voice recorder alone when he takes you into custody? You think he'll leave you with it? Or do you think he'll 'accidentally' erase it, or better yet, 'misplace' it ? ?
    Use qik.com with Android operating system. The video streams to a web site as you record it, so it's preserved no matter what happens to the camera.

isn't there a droid app that you can get that records but you can't tell it's going. So cops can't turn it off.

Campaign Veteran Lurkus Maximus's Avatar
    Two options on one-a-day buy sites in the same day!

http://www.woot.com/

Sandisk Sansa Fuze 8GB Media Player $34.99 (Records audio) I carry one of these. If anyone asks, it's my mp3 player FM radio.

http://www.1saleaday.com/

Venom Snake Eye Micro DV Sports Camera With 72-Degree View Angle and Sound Activated High-Speed Recording + 2GB Micro SD Card $29.99 (Records audio and video)
    -----------------------------
    "Get a shot off fast. This upsets him long enough to let you make your second shot perfect." Lazarus Long

I wear baseball caps a lot and I'd really like to find one that has a small inexpensive device like the pen units do. Most of the video caps I've found are >$100.

Quote Originally Posted by gsx1138 View Post
    isn't there a droid app that you can get that records but you can't tell it's going. So cops can't turn it off.
    both of the voice recorders I tried on Android will work with the screen off. Great audio quality, even from inside pockets... though that probably has more to do with the mic on my Cliq than the software...

While on the subject of recording...

A Harford County Circuit Court judge(Maryland) ruled this afternoon that a motorcyclist who was arrested for videotaping his traffic stop by a Maryland State Trooper was within his rights to record the confrontation.

http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/news...ping_case.html

Quote Originally Posted by daddy4count View Post
    both of the voice recorders I tried on Android will work with the screen off. Great audio quality, even from inside pockets... though that probably has more to do with the mic on my Cliq than the software...
    What are the names of the apps you're using? I'd love to get something setup on my Droid.

Video App

My LG Ally is droid based, so I downloaded "Qik" which streams the video automaticaly to Qik.com. You set up a free account with them and you can access your video from any computer.
    "The beauty of the Second Amenment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." Thomas Jefferson
    "Evil often triumphs, but never conquers." Joseph Roux
    http://nwfood.shelfreliance.com