• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Tech questions

Lovenox

I often hear people say "record the conversation", "make sure you have it on tape" when dealing with LEOs. What recorders would you guys recommend for voice recording and what would you recommend for video? Thanks in advance.

daddy4count

I use my Android phone (Moto Cliq)

It came with a video camera app, I downloaded a free voice recorder app.

Tested it at 2 ft, 6ft and appx. 10 ft. Voices are clearly audible. Also tested in my pocket, same result... though there is a bit of "static" sound from the fabric of my pants rubbing on the mic.

10 hours of record time means I can start it and let it roll all day long... just about... ;)

Jayd1981

I picked up a sony digital recorder at Walmart (OCing while I bought it). It was around $50 if I remember correctly, but very easy to plug into my computer to retrieve audio files.

TechnoWeenie

I picked up a sony digital recorder at Walmart (OCing while I bought it). It was around $50 if I remember correctly, but very easy to plug into my computer to retrieve audio files.

The problem with voice recorders and the like is that it relies on an officers honesty. If an officer is going to violate your rights, illegally arrest you, threaten you, etc.. What makes you think he's gonna leave your voice recorder alone when he takes you into custody? You think he'll leave you with it? Or do you think he'll 'accidentally' erase it, or better yet, 'misplace' it ? ?

I've sent him a PM on the subject, and no, it's not a pen.

Genken

My Motorola Droid works awesome for video/audio, even at half hour high quality stuff...but eats battery power quick. Got a digital Sony voice recorder from Wal-Mart, too. Even made a velcro attachment for my belt to attach it to. Works good until you put it in a pocket...then too much static.

deanf

The problem with voice recorders and the like is that it relies on an officers honesty. If an officer is going to violate your rights, illegally arrest you, threaten you, etc.. What makes you think he's gonna leave your voice recorder alone when he takes you into custody? You think he'll leave you with it? Or do you think he'll 'accidentally' erase it, or better yet, 'misplace' it ? ?

Use qik.com with Android operating system. The video streams to a web site as you record it, so it's preserved no matter what happens to the camera.

Lurkus Maximus

Campaign Veteran
Two options on one-a-day buy sites in the same day!

http://www.woot.com/

Sandisk Sansa Fuze 8GB Media Player $34.99 (Records audio) I carry one of these. If anyone asks, it's my mp3 player FM radio.

http://www.1saleaday.com/

Venom Snake Eye Micro DV Sports Camera With 72-Degree View Angle and Sound Activated High-Speed Recording + 2GB Micro SD Card $29.99 (Records audio and video)

Nosrac

I wear baseball caps a lot and I'd really like to find one that has a small inexpensive device like the pen units do. Most of the video caps I've found are >$100.

daddy4count

isn't there a droid app that you can get that records but you can't tell it's going. So cops can't turn it off.
both of the voice recorders I tried on Android will work with the screen off. Great audio quality, even from inside pockets... though that probably has more to do with the mic on my Cliq than the software...

golddigger14s

Activist Member
Video App

My LG Ally is droid based, so I downloaded "Qik" which streams the video automaticaly to Qik.com. You set up a free account with them and you can access your video from any computer.