• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

NRA Will not endorse Reed

paul@paul-fisher.com

About time!

Statement From NRA-PVF Chairman
Chris W. Cox On The 2010 Nevada U.S. Senate Race

In the coming days and weeks, the NRA Political Victory Fund (NRA-PVF) will be announcing endorsements and candidate ratings in hundreds of federal races, as well as thousands of state legislative races. Unless these announcements are required by the timing of primary or special elections, the NRA-PVF generally does not issue endorsements while important legislative business is pending. The NRA-PVF also operates under a long-standing policy that gives preference to incumbent candidates who have voted with the NRA on key issues, which is explained in more detail here.
The U.S. Senate recently considered a number of issues important to NRA members, including the confirmation of Elena Kagan to the Supreme Court. Out of respect for the confirmation process, the NRA did not announce its position on Ms. Kagan's confirmation until the conclusion of her testimony before the Senate Judiciary committee. Her evasive testimony exacerbated grave concerns we had about her long-standing hostility towards the Second Amendment. As a result, the NRA strongly opposed her confirmation and made it clear at the time that we would be scoring this important vote.

The vote on Elena Kagan's confirmation to the Court, along with the previous year's confirmation vote on Sonia Sotomayor, are critical for the future of the Second Amendment. After careful consideration, the NRA-PVF announced today that it will not be endorsing Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid for re-election in the 2010 U.S. Senate race in Nevada.

NRA members and other interested parties are encouraged to visit www.NRAPVF.org for more information as Election Day draws near.

Flintlock

The fact that this was even a possibility further proves that the NRA has completely lost it's way. They obviously capitulated under heavy pressure from their members.

.45acp

The fact that this was even a possibility further proves that the NRA has completely lost it's way. They obviously capitulated under heavy pressure from their members.

I am increasing disappointed with the stance and positions of the NRA. In my opinion, I have often wondered if the NRA wants the 2nd Amendment cleared up and put to rest permanently. The NRA seems to settle for half measures where a settlement of the legitimacy of the 2nd once and for all was at hand, but they pulled a defeat from the jaws of victory.
I echo the sentiments of others that the NRA has its own agenda, mostly to maintain the need and influence (and money raising ability) of the NRA. The upper management of the NRA travels in high and lofty circles with our money. I highly doubt Wayne LaPierre wants to lose his life style. That is the problem with long term politicians and lobby groups, they like the life, influence and power the beltway life provides them at our expense. The NRA seems to be more intent to maintain the boogeyman than to kill him off.

Steve

o-Marine-o

I dropped by NRA membership last year... They are in it for their own selves, not for the Americans 2A anymore....

Honestly they have lost their way.....So I dont care what they say...

10A

The NRA thrives on the existence of a 2A issue. If the 2A is finally accepted at all government levels to mean what it says, the NRA has no reason to exist anymore other than perhaps as a watchdog group, with much fewer contributions than it has today as a result. Like all organizations they have a vested interest in keeping the money flowing. There's nothing wrong with that, just as long as we're all informed of their real intentions when they make statements, recommend a particular candidate, or give away our rights...I mean compromise, on particular issues.

Flintlock is right, the fact that this announcement is news says volumes about the NRA.

Last edited:

KansasMustang

The NRA has been long lost in the beltway and succumbed to political powers that distract them from the main goal of "An armed society is a polite society". I cannot believe that they would even think about endorsing Harry Reid.