• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

I need a lawyer and I need one now..

zekester

I did not get busted....but it has something to do with my employment and my right to carry when there is noththing on the books about a weapon at the workplace.

I was told to resign, or quit carrying my weapon, concealed or otherwise.

Suggestions?

I know i am screwed, I guess i am venting.

Don't buy from Milford Plumbing Supply.....but if your in St Charles...come by and say hi!!!

Zeke

Last edited:

mark-in-texas

Is Missouri an 'employment at will' state? If so, they can change the 'employee manual' all they want without notifying you. My personal advice would be to say 'Ok I won't carry at work anymore' and leave your weapon in the car for your protection to & from work, just don't tell them. I know here in Texas, your car is an extention of your home; someone entering it w/o premission is tresspassing. If they take anyting out, it's thieft; theift of a firearm is a felony! I would also, if possible, park your vehicle off their property. I had to do that with a former employer; my car and anything in it were then not subject to their rules. Good luck amigo!

M

McX

Zekester, i would never lie to you, do what they want, go car carry, but nothing on the hip, keep the coin-ola flowing, i know they're not right, and it's you rigth, but moola is priority one as bad as things are now. you ain't selling out, just modifying yourself to someone who doesn't give a damn if you live or die.

LMTD

Accomplished Advocate
Suggestions?

Zeke, you can call the law office and have one of the lawyers tell you, or you can just take the above and go with it.

If you call a lawyer, they are going to tell you almost verbatim: The state of Missouri is an employment at will state, you have no case nor any legitimate complaint to file anywhere. Your choices are exactly as explained by your employer, do as they say and stop carrying a firearm on their property or resign. You surrender your personal rights at the door.

If you like your job, comply. If you do not, I personally would suggest complying until you find another, the unemployment rate is still too high to make it "easy" to find a job.

You can also go to the Missouri Department of Labor and learn these facts for themselves, they are indeed addressed there and they are online. I am responsible for about 60 employees and 1500 folks, I have to enforce rules I do not agree with and that is just how it is until I have 100 million and can buy the company, then I shall make the rules everyone else has to follow.

Concealed is concealed and no one should ever know it is there and you really should not ever mention it unless legally required to do so.

cshoff

As was mentioned above, you are pretty much SOL. Your employer holds the cards as far as what conditions he/she has in place for people he/she employs. You don't have to like it, but your employer has that right.

Last edited:

cash50

Yea Zeke, it sucks.

Ask how they feel about you carrying a sword instead. Maybe it'll lighten the mood between you guys.

heresyourdipstickjimmy

I did not get busted....but it has something to do with my employment and my right to carry when there is noththing on the books about a weapon at the workplace.

I was told to resign, or quit carrying my weapon, concealed or otherwise.

Suggestions?

I know i am screwed, I guess i am venting.

Don't buy from Milford Plumbing Supply.....but if your in St Charles...come by and say hi!!!

Zeke

Zeke,

Unfortunately, you're in an "at will" State meaning they do not need any cause to fire you. You're better off ducking this one and not carrying in the work place than trying to fight the issue when the economy is horrible. If you have another job that can support you in your fight then so be it and good luck.

We're all stuck :banghead::cuss: on this exact issue. Employers want to tell us no, but they don't want to be liable for our safety either.